• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

April 2018 Bend’er

F-Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Small group (2 so far) planning a trip tp Big Bend NP on or about 18-22 April 2018. Will most likely camp, ride, rinse & repeat. We are cautious middle-aged, respectfull riders, on light bikes who have traveled there before.

No fees, no schedule; Most likely ride River & Old Ore routes.

Last edited:
More info, please.

Staying in Terlingua?
I would be coming from FW and trailering.

Lived in Texas for 60 years and never visited Big Bend.
Almost unforgivable ...

Mitch, it's time to right that wrong.

Fred and I are both driving from San Antonio and camping at Rancho Topanga, just a couple of miles west of Terlingua. It's beautiful, quiet, inexpensive, nice showers with hot water. Campsites don't have electricity but do have running water.

There are hotels in the area... Just don't expect 5 star and your expectations won't be shattered.

Best to reserve soon, as they do sometimes run out of space.

I had planned on making the trip with a DFW group last month.
But business took precedence.

I'll make plans to be there this time, although might not be there till Thursday night.

I had planned on making the trip with a DFW group last month.
But business took precedence.

I'll make plans to be there this time, although might not be there till Thursday night.
Sounds great. Dirt, street, both? I'll be on the XT250 and Fred is bringing his shiny KTM.

I'll PM you contact info.

I'll be bringing Tex ...

2009_XR650L_02-X2.jpg

I have a rotopax for fuel capacity and pelican case for water and toolage.

I'm an old man ... so you kids will have to be very

cautious ... respectfull riders

Last edited:
I'll be bringing Tex ...

2009_XR650L_02-X2.jpg

I have a rotopax for fuel capacity and pelican case for water and toolage.

I'm an old man ... so you kids will have to be very
Hmmm.. Tex looks nice. I'm probably not much younger and far from a crazy good rider. I'm just out for fun and camraderie.

Just looked at the extended forecast ...
At least its a dry heat ...

I booked a room at Chisos Mining Co for 19-21

I booked a single, but can change it to a double if you'd like to share expenses ... ~$50/night for cold AC and a hot shower.

Warning, though ... I hold several records and multiple awards of achievement in professional snoring competitions.

Nice of you to offer. You got me thinking about that, Mitch. But I'm going to stick with $10/night.

I may change my mind after the first night camping if it's too hot to sleep. Overnight lows should be around 56-61.

Temps are moderating a bit ... if a 3 week look ahead is worth anything.
~90 for a high and mid-50s for a low.

Yup ... 90* is very manageable.

Hey guys I would like to hang out and ride with you if there is still time to get in on this one. I have been planning to make it to BB for years now with family and friends and we never seem to get our schedules aligned.

Hey guys I would like to hang out and ride with you if there is still time to get in on this one. I have been planning to make it to BB for years now with family and friends and we never seem to get our schedules aligned.
Yes of course! Although recently forecasted temps for our dates are hitting 100… bring lots of water. [emoji39]

Last edited:
Fred made the astute observation that the extended forecast shows highs around 90 (~10 cooler) the following week -- April 25-29.

So we've (Fred and I) been kicking around the idea of having both weeks as options and making the decision when we get closer and have more confidence in the forecast... checking work & family schedules.

• Plan A -- April 18-22
  • Plan B -- April 25-29

Mitch & Shane, what do you think?

Last edited:
Upper 80s low 90s were forecast last week for the current schedule.
It'll be sleeting in tomorrow's long range forecast.

For you guys camping, it will be miserable.

I had hoped c.m._shooter would have posted. He sent me a note asking if I had room on my trailer for his rig.
He lives about an hour north of me and I'll drag his rig alongside mine and we'll share travel expenses.

So there is another, unknown contender.

And to compound things further, I've planned a 4 day trip looping through east Texas beginning on the 24th.
A couple of my cake eater buddies are planning to go along.

So logistics are getting complicated.

Last edited:
Ok Mitch, good to know that's not an option on your end and another rider is joining.

I need a portable air conditioner for my tent.

Sorry fellas.

Please don't alter the group plans on my crazy schedule.
Shooter needs to get in here and let folks know his schedule, too.

My job is really starting to piss me off ...

Last edited:
My schedule is pretty open no worries. If Mitch cant make it I can get down there on my own. I'll just need to know where to meet you. Once I hit the road I am unplugged.

My schedule is pretty open no worries. If Mitch cant make it I can get down there on my own. I'll just need to know where to meet you. Once I hit the road I am unplugged.
Hey Shooter... Thanks for jumping in.

This long term forecast seems to be playing games. They must just randomly spit out guesses and call it a forecast. [emoji16]

Hey Mitch, join the club with the job thing. I mean, I like mine but it's the paycheck thing is really great and keeps me coming back.

The group looks to be about 5’ish strong. Thats a good size, and we would like to make plans in advance and not last minute changes. Thats why we want to mention the dangeriously hot weather forecast. Have you ridden for a few hours in 100°+ temperatures? How about the possability of fixing a flat or worse?

To me those temps would not be fun. But if we commit to endure — then the plan of attack will most likely be shorter rides, leaving ugly-dark-early to make it off the dirt by noon’ish. Then easy ride back to camp.

I will be checking with my employer today about the flexability option.

Randy/Shooter ... PM sent.

Gentlemen

I don't want to hijack this trip so whatever you decide is ok with me. As far as the 2schedules above the only one available to me is the April 18th-22nd. My schedule is somewhat flexible with those dates but starting on the 24th would be too late for me. Just let me know when you land things.

Back