• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

April Pie Run - The Shed, Edom, Texas

Stook

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Smallwood
I just received a call from The Shed & the gal was wondering if anyone was still planning to come since it was raining. I told her that folks were on the way and to still expect some but maybe less than the 20-30 planned.

We'll see - ya'll be careful (if you are not on your way yet)

I didn't do a head count, but a quick guess is that at least 20 hard core riders made it. It rained on me the entire trip (but I can't brag, it was only about 65 - 70 miles each way for me) but not enough to be a problem. Even with mesh gear (with liners) I stayed dry.

I had a great time and I think everyone else did too.

Re: Pie Run IV: Spring Flowers at The Shed, 4/25

I got to Edom right at 11 and there were about 15 bikes in the parking lot. Not much rain on the ride in (just 30 miles), just hard sprinkles. It began a pretty good downpour after I got my seat and ordered, . There was another group of TWT'ers who arrived later in that.

By the time we'd eaten and told some lies the rain had let up and blue sky was showing. It remained dry for the parking lot bike show. I got some good tech from another Bandit 1250SA owner (he and I bought the last two at the Bartlesville, OK Suzuki dealer within days of each other). Get the DL1000 handguards rather than the DL650 models, they fit without any mods. Thanks for the tip!

Skip - you talked me into going to Edom - Dutch promised pictures (which he delivered).

I did ride in the rain. Did think about the last trip I made in the rain, this one was not quite as cold.

I did meet some very nice new people.

Enjoyed the company.

Elly

I never did a count on how many were there. It was a pretty good sized group and the ride was not very wet at all. There was also a big group of Smart Cars that showed up, cute little things. I will post some pictures eventually. The ride home was perfect all the way. A little windy at times but nothing bad. It was nice to meet everyone.

We made it home safely and really had a terrific time meeting everyone, making new friends and enjoying some DDDeeeeLicious food! My first time in the rain on my new bike and I survived. Thanks everyone for being so nice and welcoming us. My son and I really had a great time! My first pie run! Thanks and I hope everyone made it home safely!!

Here come some pictures. But first I would like to request a change of names for Pie Runs. They should just be called Brutal Wind Runs. It was challenging and VERY fun riding with all you folks today. We had quite a few riding out of Fort Worth, Arlington, Bedford, and near Walks a hat chee. Phoenetic spelling will work there.

948.jpg

The parking lot.

949.jpg

Itchy Bob on the left and our new friend MacDaddy (Steve) who jumped right in with us as we flew by his area. He rides a Tiger.

950.jpg

Scott's bike.

951.jpg

They made the scooter park by the trash can!

952.jpg

Josh rode this Ducati...he came in with Rickmiller.

953.jpg

Elly's bike (CWDancer) And how did I miss meeting you!?

955.jpg

Cute waitress!

957.jpg

Michael (ItchyBob) got a whole Buttermilk Pie for himself and was determined to eat the whole thing.

958.jpg

959.jpg

Yeah, he didn't quite make it, but the good news is that I offered that pie a ride in the Burgman and it ended up in my refrigerator. And thank you Michael from our table for picking up our bill. You will be very popular at future Pie Runs when the news gets out that you give away pie and pick up dinner checks.

963.jpg

Rickmiller is not a dirty old man in case anyone was thinking that. Here he is with his pretty Ducati.

969.jpg

These were in the lot looking like Easter Eggs.

It was a great day and the ride home was spirited. I like that!

Here come some pictures. But first I would like to request a change of names for Pie Runs. They should just be called Brutal Wind Runs. It was challenging and VERY fun riding with all you folks today. We had quite a few riding out of Fort Worth, Arlington, Bedford, and near Walks a hat chee. Phoenetic spelling will work there.

948.jpg

The parking lot.

949.jpg

Itchy Bob on the left and our new friend MacDaddy (Steve) who jumped right in with us as we flew by his area. He rides a Tiger.

950.jpg

Scott's bike.

951.jpg

They made the scooter park by the trash can!

952.jpg

Josh rode this Ducati...he came in with Rickmiller.

953.jpg

Elly's bike (CWDancer) And how did I miss meeting you!?

955.jpg

Cute waitress!

957.jpg

Michael (ItchyBob) got a whole Buttermilk Pie for himself and was determined to eat the whole thing.

958.jpg

959.jpg

Yeah, he didn't quite make it, but the good news is that I offered that pie a ride in the Burgman and it ended up in my refrigerator. And thank you Michael from our table for picking up our bill. You will be very popular at future Pie Runs when the news gets out that you give away pie and pick up dinner checks.

963.jpg

Rickmiller is not a dirty old man in case anyone was thinking that. Here he is with his pretty Ducati.

969.jpg

These were in the lot looking like Easter Eggs.

It was a great day and the ride home was spirited. I like that!

Soozy

I don't know how we missed each other - I guess we were the early crowd and leaving as y'all arrived.

Let's hope for better luck next time.

Elly

I brought a rider from the Ducatimonsterforum.org (Josh) to the Pie Run.

joshduc1.jpg

We caught up with the rain about 20 miles out from Edom. Just enough to get us wet.

Sure enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting some new riders. Josh was pleasantly surprised at how friendly everyone was today. I told him it is a great group.

Here are some of my pics.

pie04092.jpg

josh2duc.jpg

Soozy...looking good!

pie04093.jpg

Well that was fun. I road up on Friday morning grabbing a couple more courthouses and such stuff. I visited my aunt in Longview who broke her hip about 3 weeks ago and is currently in a rehab facility bored to tears. Gonna be awhile before she is remotely back to normal. My cousins there are optimistic that she will be able to resume some form of normal in the near future. My fingers are crossed.

Spent Friday evening in Kilgore with Pub610 and Ninjaette. Bill is aka as Steve. The band lead singer goofed his name up introducing him so he's Steve. :rofl: No pics I forgot...sorry. The band was called Beatlegras (one S) and they played-wait for it-Beatles music as blue grass. Interesting and real fun. Watch for the Kilgore paper as Bill had the staff photographer working. Friday evening ended with me at the Best Western Kilgore. Nice clean place if you in the Kilgore metro area and need a place to stay.

Saturday morning dawned wet with more wet on the way. Met will Bill (steve) and Terry (R11S?) at Bills and off we went to Hardley bakers? place. He came out of the house in shorts so he wasn;t going. Road down a nice FM road (I have not a clue which one) with some curves that would be real fun if not real wet like this morning. Thru Tyler on Texas 31 I believe and then another nice little FM road to Edom, all in a steady rain. We weren;t the first but it was close. Elly was there.
Elly.jpg

Terry put on his rain pants after we got there....
Terryputtingonraingear.jpg

We went inside to get a peek at this....
Menu.jpg

The start...:eat:
TheStart.jpg

The finish...:clap:
TheFinish.jpg

The Pie...Peanut Butter :clap:
PeanutButterPie.jpg

I can not believe I did not get one picture of Bill, not one! :doh:

Group shots while I was there...I am lousy with names so you know who you are so thats ok. I counted 29 smiling pie eating faces before the (I think) Ft Worth group showed up..after it quit raining...:zen:
Group1.jpg

Group2.jpg

Group3.jpg

Group4.jpg

Group5.jpg

Outside shots...:rider:
Bike1.jpg

Bike3.jpg

you know who's Berggie...
SuzysBergie.jpg

Terry with his rain gear on...after it quit and he's leaving.
Terrygearedup.jpg

bike4.jpg

bike5.jpg

bikes6.jpg

A nice GS...too clean.
niceGS.jpg

Donroger taking a picture of me taking a picture of him
donroger2.jpg

Another of donroger
1.jpg

My mileage over the two day ride, 530. calories...who knows or cares. Courthouses....seven. Smiles..too many to count. thanks for all the fun. :clap::clap::clap: folks.

And one more photo...please avert your eyes if you are squeemish...
ThoseLegs.jpg

Get some sun on those legs please!

I was surprised to see so many bikes out front when I showed up late. And then they just kept trickling in so it was a great turnout even if it was a little swampy.

And how the heck did I get caught in so many shots??:doh: I must be slipping because my ugly mug is usually the one behind the camera.:lol2:

Jhansen, I'll work on that tan but beware next time I have my camera.:trust::lol2:

Here is my contribution to the thread....

We ran a bit late due to the rain. Had to stop and don gear, and while we were there it made sense to let the heaviest rain pass us by.

The lot when we parked....

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

After riding in the rain Dan decided that he did not want his bike getting wet so.....

DSC01424.jpg

In fairness to Dan I should acknowledge that the electronic goodies he has added to his ST are protected pretty well when the bike is under way, but not while stopped. So covering it while parked in the rain, while still funny after riding in the rain, actually is logical.

Being a motorcycle forum we do tend to focus on our two wheeled toys... but days like this remind us that the folks atop the toys are the best part. Conversations at the tables were the highlight of the day..

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01428.jpg

Followed close by fooooooood! We were hungry!

DSC01429.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

Since it is a pie run.... the pie shot...

DSC01432.jpg

The day only lacked one good aspect... but was still a good day.

Meeting people I had only conversed with through the keyboard was a plus, as was meeting people I had yet to interact with on line.

TerriBaker's F650GS is a good looking machine. The powder blue metallic looks good on that machine. I can't help but think that since my KLR is seeing mostly pavement duty that a bike like that would be a cool upgrade. That may be a topic for another thread though.

Last edited:
Left this morning about 8:00am.
It's the latest I've left for a Pie Run this year. :rider:
The sky didn't look very promising. It was much darker than the photo portrays.
IMG_0427.jpg

Headed east from Denton on US380 to Greenville, then down US 69 to Emory.

IMG_0431.jpg

Saw some Longhorns in Point, TX

IMG_0440.jpg

Left Emory on CR 3274

IMG_0444.jpg

Turned Right on FM 779

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

Then Right on FM 17

IMG_0456.jpg

Finally started raining in Grand Saline.
The rain continued all the way to Edom.

IMG_0460.jpg

Raining harder than it seems in the photo......

IMG_0461.jpg

The Shed parking lot upon arrival at 10:56am

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

No pictures inside of the food or people.......????? Must have really been hungry.....

About the time we finished and began moving to the parking lot, the DFW group showed. (Soozy, you didn't meet Ally because she was paying out as the DFW group entered to dine. I think she left before ya'll finished dining.)

Parking lot after the food.

Jeff decided we should take pictures of each other. Here's mine...........

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

My trusty steed

IMG_0483.jpg

Suddenly the parking lot was invaded with small vermin like vehicles...........

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Aftermarket horns??
IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Mary Kay car?????
IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Each of these little vermin finally spewed forth it's contents and these contents finally entered The Shed for nourishment. The poor souls.......:lol2:

Had to scoot back to the Metroplex for a birthday party.

Crossed the bridge at Lake Tawakoni.

IMG_0496.jpg

The birthday boy.

IMG_0533.jpg

Final tally

IMG_0565.jpg

:tab I slept way too late. Did get to take the kids to the park to play for a bit. Did not get much work done on a few bikes in the garage before the pager went off. Wound up working for the rest of the evening and am waiting on another job to come in as I type this... It never rained here but it was seriously windy all day. Looks like you folks had a good time despite the weather. Given the Pie Run weather history, I am thinking we could probably make some money holding Pie Runs in places suffering from drought... :-P

So, thanks to Ed29 bringing me an entire buttermilk pie from The Shed, I am able to partake of this weekend's PR after-the-fact! :clap::eat:

Glad to see so many adventuresome riders out yesterday! :thumb:

Last edited:
It was great to see some friendly old faces again and meet a lot of other great folks too. If I didn't work weekends, I might not be such a stranger.

Thanks Dano for leading our group. It's really nice when the route goes right by your house.

Missed seeing Chuck though.

So, thanks to Ed29 bringing me an entire buttermilk pie from The Shed, I am able to partake of this weekend's PR fater-the-fact! :clap::eat:

:shrug: What the.....

Didn't bring enough for everybody? I was working my .... off to keep the citizens safe from ........ whatever, and I didn't even get any PIE ?????

What a pal.....

;-)

Gee Janet...... Chuck asked me in advance while attending a regular Friday night event.
Now I know... bring Janet a pie..... or a Shiner at another event. ;-)

I got to Edom right at 11 and there were about 15 bikes in the parking lot. Not much rain on the ride in (just 30 miles), just hard sprinkles. It began a pretty good downpour after I got my seat and ordered, . There was another group of TWT'ers who arrived later in that.

By the time we'd eaten and told some lies the rain had let up and blue sky was showing. It remained dry for the parking lot bike show. I got some good tech from another Bandit 1250SA owner (he and I bought the last two at the Bartlesville, OK Suzuki dealer within days of each other). Get the DL1000 handguards rather than the DL650 models, they fit without any mods. Thanks for the tip!

It was good to meet you Mark and you are welcome.

Willie

It was a ride with an abundant amount of heavy rain, high winds and humidity. I did have one rather brief "pucker" moment cresting a hill between Corsicana and Athens only to find myself riding in 20 inches of water at sixty mph. The river had crested and was overflowing across the highway. I "water-skied" over half a lane but thank goodness for the new pair of Road Pilot 2. The tires channel the water so well! I ended up with around 1,000 miles for the pie run. East Texas/La. was superb and very scenic. The ride from Jefferson to Jasper is breath taking with the flowers in full bloom.

I talked to various people and even test road a new red FZ1. That sucka' got torque! The parking lot is entirely dirt at the Shed and so it was a muddy mess with the rain. I was worried my bike's kickstand would sink in the ooze, so I used a plastic disc to prevent that from happening.

As always it was great to meet the new members and some of the old crew as Don Rogers.

RB

:shrug: What the.....

Didn't bring enough for everybody? I was working my .... off to keep the citizens safe from ........ whatever, and I didn't even get any PIE ?????

What a pal.....

;-)

Well, it isn't all gone yet. :trust:

Now, it isn't the prettiest pie you have ever seen but it still tastes good! :eat:
(ask Ed what happened to it on the way home from Edom) :lol2:

Back