• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AR D/S this spring

Always a possible, but my d/s is only good for 2 track, not real offroad. Not sure what you're looking for.

I think I saw the listing somewhere, do you have a link? I just got a Honda AT I'd like to take. But i'd be leaving from the SA/ Austin area.
I have ridden a several AR dual sports on my 450's over the years, and they usually have it set up for both types, 2 track, then single track and bypasses.

Most any plated D/S with knobbies will do just about everything I have seen. I am speaking of casual single track to dirt roads. Saving the misery for enduros and H/S. Would like to see the property Wilderness Rider(Donny) has up in N AR, sure looks nice. Is he the one or am I confused? As far as I'm concerned anywhere in the western half of AR has D/S potential. Further north you go the better, Mena-Hot Springs up. I'm used to traveling alone and can meet anywhere, no one else in my area. Really prefer riding during the week as opposed to weekends. Adv bikes are not preferred but that can depends on the rider, I will be on an XR4.

Last edited:
Most any plated D/S with knobbies will do just about everything I have seen. I am speaking of casual single track to dirt roads. Saving the misery for enduros and H/S. Would like to see the property Wilderness Rider(Donny) has up in N AR, sure looks nice. Is he the one or am I confused? As far as I'm concerned anywhere in the western half of AR has D/S potential. Further north you go the better, Mena-Hot Springs up. I'm used to traveling alone and can meet anywhere, no one else in my area. Really prefer riding during the week as opposed to weekends. Adv bikes are not preferred but that can depends on the rider, I will be on an XR4.

Leaves me out, all have is an adventure bike! Arkansas single track would get me in trouble.

Leaves me out, all have is an adventure bike! Arkansas single track would get me in trouble.

A friend rode his 950 KTM up the years ago at one of the "Fall Color Tours"
he did it just to prove it could be done.
But he owns a KTM shop and replaced all the bodywork afterwards. Then sold it as "used" of course.

IE: I can't afford single track on my "new to me" Africa Twin. If i took it, it would be 2 track only.

There are a couple dual sport rides I saw listed somewhere around that time frame though.

But Irishcoffee, let me know when you might be heading that way, I'd be interested if it works out with my schedule. I am old and slower than I used to be, but I can take care of myself most of the time.

oldmxer, I could do most of what's needed but not going to trash the bike to prove it! lol Plus just listed it for sale it hasn't had abuse and not starting now! Like you on the twin I'd be up for most 2 track. Hopefully the bike will sell before then anyway.

Looking at dates for the end of March. Ride around the Oark area and snag a bit of Reagan's blueberry pie at every chance. Some of the trails are 100% little bike runs even when dry. Camping at one of the local parks. A dirt worthy KLR can survive but might be an unpleasant handful.

PIE!!!! I'm in! I made the fall color tour two times and that is typical. There was always a hard/easy split but even the hard stuff was no real challenge. I'm not talking CO single track or Brock Creek. I'm thinking the easiest route is just one of the organized D/S events. Several really nice ones. Also the western half of the AR TAT is an excellent 2-3 day ride.

Last edited:
I found this somewhere- it looks interesting. from www.arkansas500.com

(early April vs. late March)

The Arkansas 500 is a Dual-Sport Motorcycle ride (not race) that spans three days and travels over 500 miles of back roads in the Natural State. Arkansas offers the most diverse sites and experiences for dual-sport riders in the Midwest, including beautiful wooded forest, large hill climbs, incredible water crossings and more back roads that can be ridden in 10 years! Get on your bike and ride the 7th Annual Arkansas 500 April 6-8, 2018, with like-minded people out for a great weekend.

Yep. Probably what I'll do if I still have my bike. Takes all the logistical stuff out of the planning. Just show up and ride.

I've never made that ride but several folks on here have. They all speak highly of it. Mostly dirt roads from the reports. That time of year you can't go wrong in Arkansas.

Looks like they plan on publicly posting the routes and tracks. You could always grab them and ride them some other time.

Donny's place is nice. There's everything from jeep accessible two track yup single track to fields without tracks. Be prepared for rocks and mud though.

The Arkansas 500 is a Dual-Sport Motorcycle ride (not race) that spans three days and travels over 500 miles of back roads in the Natural State. Arkansas offers the most diverse sites and experiences for dual-sport riders in the Midwest, including beautiful wooded forest, large hill climbs, incredible water crossings and more back roads that can be ridden in 10 years! Get on your bike and ride the 7th Annual Arkansas 500 April 6-8, 2018, with like-minded people out for a great weekend.
I live about 45 miles east of Eureka Springs and have ridden the Arkansas 500 with Scotty as a ride leader the last couple of years. I guarantee you WILL enjoy the best riding in NW Ark during the three days.
Its mostly primitive dirt/gravel county roads and dirt forest service roads... Awesome scenery and a fun time for a good cause, which is to take care of the big cats at the Turpentine Creek refuge!

Also check out the Hillbilly Dual Sport ride out of Marble Falls that is two weeks later, which I organize, and SLAP which is in mid May.

All of these events can be found in the RALLYS forum at www.advrider.com

Here is an example of the riding in this area :)

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
3b9ce600c272d007e4a86b63a9f3fc0c.jpg
e2f8dc0deaa52ff48b7287079ccaaca3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they plan on publicly posting the routes and tracks. You could always grab them and ride them some other time.

Donny's place is nice. There's everything from jeep accessible two track yup single track to fields without tracks. Be prepared for rocks and mud though.
There is plenty of great riding in the area around Donnies place too.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Just FYI - the registration for Arkansas 500 closed this morning due to a full rider list!! Check out the Hillbilly Dual Sport and SLAP rallies that are after the Ark 500..

You guys don't have to have a single track ready bike to come up here and ride. Any dual sport bike with something better than street tires can be ridden up here on the thousands of miles of primitive dirt and gravel county roads and forest service roads without a problem... And you will have great riding and scenery!!

Rob (Woodsguy),

:tab Your 800 GS would be perfect for most stuff in NW Arkansas unless you start trying to do single track. There are some two track "roads" and ATV trails that can get a bit rough. However, there are endless miles of absolutely fantastic stuff for you to do on your GS.

:tab Donny's place is private, so non plated bikes are fine. You could ride most all of his two track stuff in a day without much trouble, but I would not do it on your GS. Your 450 would be perfect and you'd like it. However, there are some cliff side overlooks you might not enjoy ;-) You have to get off the bike to get to them though. I did a ride report here with tons of pics.

Mid April trip with the whole family
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113929

:tab I went back with Daniel on Memorial Day weekend, but never got around to doing a report. We had a blast! One BIG difference though between mid April and the end of the May, the grass in the pastures in April was maybe 12-18" tall. In may it was over the handle bars of my KTM 530!! That only really matters if you try to ride off across the pastures like we were doing.

:tab Donny's place is right smack in the middle of tons of great dirt road and street riding. You could easily take both bikes and spend 3-4 days of riding in that area and still have a lot you haven't touched. There is only primitive camping at Donny's place. There is no water. The nearest hotel to Donny will be in Huntsville on AR 74 and US 412, about 20-25 minutes away. It is the only place in town, is about $50/night, with basic clean rooms. We spent one night there on our April trip. Granny's Kitchen is just around the corner and has superb breakfasts! There are also cabins/camping near Ponca where AR 43/74 split, just NE of Donny's place. The next nearest town of any decent size with numerous hotels would be Clarksville on I-40 and AR 21. I have stayed there multiple times as a base for street and dualsport rides.

You guys need to come back up this spring Scott. We just opened up a bunch of new log roads with the dozer, and cleaned up some of the existing ones so that most 4x4 vehicles could navigate them. Put in camp site clearings at the Beech Creek swimming hole, and several other new locations too. Next we are starting in on a whole bunch of new single track routes... Some of which are going to be pro rider only level, others are easy to moderate, and of course plenty of moderately difficult for all of us riders who are somewhat accomplished. Lots of new routes and loops since you all were here last. I finally got a well put in. So there is water available at the ranch house now, and a nice new 2 stall primitive privy at the parking area. Change may be slow, but it is also inevitable...watch us grow!

You guys need to come back up this spring Scott. We just opened up a bunch of new log roads with the dozer, and cleaned up some of the existing ones so that most 4x4 vehicles could navigate them. Put in camp site clearings at the Beech Creek swimming hole, and several other new locations too. Next we are starting in on a whole bunch of new single track routes... Some of which are going to be pro rider only level, others are easy to moderate, and of course plenty of moderately difficult for all of us riders who are somewhat accomplished. Lots of new routes and loops since you all were here last. I finally got a well put in. So there is water available at the ranch house now, and a nice new 2 stall primitive privy at the parking area. Change may be slow, but it is also inevitable...watch us grow!

Awesome news! :clap:

I am hoping to maybe get back up there mid to late April, but things are kind of nuts around here with regard to me being able to get time off from work.

Back