• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Are Some Motorcycles Age Appropriate?

Went to a Harley rally in Rosenberg around 2005 or so and there was a guy riding a stripped down Suzuki DR; doing stunts in the arena. He was doing small jumps ramp-to-ramp, riding wheelies, and other smallish stunts by today’s standards. He stopped to talk to the audience and, when he pulled his helmet off, you could hear nearly everyone’s surprised gasp. Everyone was expecting a young slick dude, but he was an older gentleman with grey hair. He went on to explain you’re only as old as you feel and, if you wear the appropriate safety gear, the stunts he was doing are relatively safe. He put his helmet back on and did a few more jumps and everything was going good until his finale. He did a ramp to ramp jump through a flaming hoop. To make the jump, he had to start out of the arena to get up enough speed and would have to go out the other side. The start and jump went perfectly. The problem came about when he went out the other side through the cattle chute - it wasn’t that wide and as he went through, I heard a sound; “TINK” and I immediately knew what went wrong. His handlebar caught the metal gate. Needless to say, he wadded up at speed and ended up going to the hospital. A friend visited him in the hospital and he said he’ll be right back at it when he healed up.

A lot of what is written above. And specifically this:
you’re only as old as you feel

I'm young(er) compared to some, but still older than others. Never in my 2 wheel quest have I considered what is cool as a priority. As a non-conforming *** generally speaking it wouldn't matter anyways. I love them all, just can't afford most, or as many as I want anyways. I see young guys riding baggers, and old guys riding sport bikes and think "wow that is cool" on all accounts. The only thing in general I don't like is guys that just chase what the crowd does, but then again, a lot of times the crowd likes certain bikes because well.. they're excellent. So what do I know anyways.

Would I like to have a liter sport bike at 52, sure, but I would be stupid on it, so I do not buy one.
Plus I just don't find them comfortable. My hands get numb in just a few minutes on them, even something like a FJR gives my hands issues.

I don't think there is an age limit on any bike (high or low), there is a stereo type for many, but who cares about that. Buy what you like and can afford.

Have a friend who was looking at a 600rr a few years back, he was 74, the salesman asked if he was going to buy it for his grandson! Also have two friends still doing vintage MX at 76, and one has a prosthetic foot.

there are certainly age/bike based stereotypes, but I personally think everybody should just ride what they enjoy. My sport bike riding friends gave me all kinds of a hard time for riding a naked SV1000 when I was 21.

Bought my Blazing Orange Triumph Speed Triple at 55 even though I didn't have the skills to ride it anywhere close to it's potential. Just freak'n loved the bike first time I saw it. Every time I pulled into some place where people were around and pulled off my helmet you could just see the "what's the old guy doing on that bike" look, which was somewhat humorous. Somewhat.

In the end they all may have been right because the longer I had it the less I rode it because it made my knees hurt after 100 miles and my neck tired doing any speed over 80. Hated to sell it since it just looked so darn sexy in the garage.

I still lust after those bikes but at 62 I know I won't use them like I hope I would.

A few years back I attended a Pie Run in Crockett, The Moosehead Cafe. I met a group of three riders, all in their 70's (I was in my 50's). Two of them were riding Aprilia Tuonos, the V4 model, and one on a Honda CBR1000. Coolest riders I ever met.

I had a grey hair moment when riding my 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS a few years back. I was 40 in a 30, got stopped by a city LEO. As he walked up I pulled off my helmet to talk to him. I'm sure my "ahem" mature look saved me a ticket.

Back