• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas ADV Ride: Around Glenwood AR, May 3-5

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Based on a similar successful ride last August, a few of us are planning on going back to the Glenwood area of Arkansas again this May.

The plan is to arrive May 3rd and possibly get an afternoon ride in. Ride the 4th and some more the 5th returning home the afternoon of the 5th.

We have a couple guys familiar with the area but no preset routes at present but we'll likely have some posted before the trip.

Last year we had 2 groups that essentially did the same route but at different speeds. We self divided into our desired pace and it worked pretty well. The overall route was big bike friendly (somewhat debatable but all seemed to have fun). The faster group had quite a few small bikes and they all seemed to have fun riding big bike friendly roads but at a bit faster pace. I'm still undecided if I'll take my WR450 or my R12GSA as both would be a lot of fun. If I trailer, I may take both.

Lodging: Base camp will be at Caddo Gap at Arrowhead Cabins and Canoe. http://www.caddocanoe.com (camping / cabins on the river). There are cabins or you can camp. It's a really great place and those that stayed there last time really enjoyed it. Alternatively, there are motels in Glenwood Ark, 8 miles away that are reasonably priced and will have more amenities. (Cabins have no cable or Internet if that matters to you.)

In:
MacDaddy
Jarrett
GLFlyer
2WheelNut
MisterK

Some will be riding up and some trailering. Sharing campsites, motel rooms or cabins is welcome, but you need to make your own arrangements.

Come join us....looking to be a fun trip.

Last edited:
Well... obviously, I'm in. ;)

It will be the Tenere for me... hopefully it will be re-flashed before then. :thumb::flip:

Last edited:

misterk

Forum Supporter
I am in like flin, but it may be too cold for me to sit in the creek as I did in August:) I will be going up early Thursday AM to do some bidness in Hot Springs village and Greenbriar. I should be at the camp by 11am Friday.

Weather looks perfect, and it is guaranteed to not change!

Ocho

Forum Supporter
How much dirt on this ride? Interested in riding Arkansas.

How much dirt on this ride? Interested in riding Arkansas.
My last ride with 2WheelNut and MacDaddy in AR was about 75 Dirt/25 Road. Big bike capable & fun if you can handle the beast. Small bike fun and challenging nonetheless.

That was with us trailering up.

Regardless... the goal is to split into 2 groups and it's sort of a "choose your own adventure" from a pace perspective.
:thumb::flip:

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Are the dirt roads forest service roads, or county roads, or...?

This sounds like alotta fun, and I have that Friday off work already...just gotta GET there...Arkysaw is a long way from villa of the Kerr...

Are the dirt roads forest service roads, or county roads, or...?

This sounds like alotta fun, and I have that Friday off work already...just gotta GET there...Arkysaw is a long way from villa of the Kerr...
A lot of forest service roads and county dirty roads in August. Some back woods hardtop ect. The 690 would be a hot ticket for this ride! And the campground is awesome.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
As an added bonus. It's Cinco de Mayo that weekend and MacDaddy has a milestone birthday during this trip so anyone that comes can join us in a Cinco de Mack celebration. (I stole that name....but I like it. :) )

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
A lot of forest service roads and county dirty roads in August. Some back woods hardtop ect. The 690 would be a hot ticket for this ride! And the campground is awesome.
Rob....you going to make this one? Sure would be good to ride with you again. Hope it works out.

I am thinking about joining you guys. I missed the last one. do you guys have any links to the campsite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I was planning on bringing the Africa Twin again, but hopefully riding up there this year.

Last edited:

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Called Arrowhead and told them we are coming. They are glad to have us back.

No need to reserve tent spaces but if you are planning on a cabin or RV, go ahead and get your reservation in.

There's a couple of KLR's around but heck they weigh almost as much as my bike and not near as modern on suspension, ect. I'll make do, I really want to go.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
You have no idea, almost squid mode. Great respect for the bike. Hoping to find a clean 650 somewhere to buy and flip when I get back, lol. Mrs. won't
You can ride my WR450 if you want. It's plated and set up for about 250 pound rider.

Might be geared a bit more for trail than street but it will still do 70.

You can ride my WR450 if you want. It's plated and set up for about 250 pound rider.

Might be geared a bit more for trail than street but it will still do 70.
Appreciate it but can't do that. The KTM I took last trip has been offered but just not comfortable borrowing. That was a great offer from my friend and made for a great trip! Thanks again.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
View attachment 229712

Just need big boy pants!!!!
You've definitely got the skill and you know it. It does take a higher level of commitment to do it on a big bike as it can cost a bit to fix the bike if you fail.

Having said that, the bikes are crazy capable. I was amazed at what my big GS could do and I had a blown shock on it. Your 800 GS should be even more capable.

I know you know this....you just have to believe it. With your skill, I'm betting you don't even come close to going down.

But I get it...I'm that way in rain on the street. I have the skill and equipment to be very capable in the rain but I end up riding like a scared little boy.

You've definitely got the skill and you know it. It does take a higher level of commitment to do it on a big bike as it can cost a bit to fix the bike if you fail.

Having said that, the bikes are crazy capable. I was amazed at what my big GS could do and I had a blown shock on it. Your 800 GS should be even more capable.

I know you know this....you just have to believe it. With your skill, I'm betting you don't even come close to going down.

But I get it...I'm that way in rain on the street. I have the skill and equipment to be very capable in the rain but I end up riding like a scared little boy.
I'm mainly concerned with the bowl turns in Wolfpen Gap type thing.

Rob is that photo on Black Gap Rd in Big Bend? Sure looks like the rock step I did on the Tenere week before last. Cleaned it but not pretty and probably never again. If I ever do have a momentary lapse of judgement and ride the big bike on that road again it will definitely be in the opposite direction.

_
Yes sir that is it, a friend is/was down there recently. Good eye.