• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cancelled Event: Arkansas ADV Ride: Around Glenwood AR, Now May 17-19

Thinking about this just now.
DS Rookie here. Very little off pavement experience but seeking more. Wondering if I would be able to keep up. New to me 2005 DRZ-400S.
Also, any cabin bunks available?
There will be varying bikes and the DRZ will have no problem with any of the routes around the area. Not sure on the cabins, but a quick call should get you an answer, if none are available there are motels in Glenwood.

~Tony

Thanks for the feedback. I will sit this one out. Don't want to be riding ARK backroads alone; even if just trying to backtrack. Headline: "Motorcyclist Missing in Arkansas After Stumbling Upon Backwoods Meth Lab While Lost" ;-)
Ya'll have fun and be safe.

Thanks for the feedback. I will sit this one out. Don't want to be riding ARK backroads alone; even if just trying to backtrack. Headline: "Motorcyclist Missing in Arkansas After Stumbling Upon Backwoods Meth Lab While Lost" ;-)
There will be plenty of people to ride with in all skill levels. You wouldn't be riding alone.... You don't have to worry about meth labs, it's the moonshiners you have to be wary of. ;-)

~Tony

Brother, you wouldn't be riding alone unless you insisted on it. I encourage you to go if you can. I sure wish I could!

I have ridden this route with Tony a few times. I did it on a KLR 650, a DR650, and a DRZ400. We have had riders on WR250s and CRF230s ride with us as well, all with no problems. I will be making this one also, it will be my first outing on my KTM 690.

I'm planning to go on my WR450.
Who else is going from the Houston area?
My son and I are driving up from the Houston area to Huntsville to hook up with Woodsguy and Glenn. I'll probably be on a 450 and not sure yet what my son will ride.

Here are some routes for the ride for those that want to use them....
The Fourche Mountain Loop could be a little difficult for big bikes above Highway 270, but that section is easily bypassed. When looking at the route, instead of going North off of 270, go West on 270 to pick the loop back up going South. The only section that I would question is from Hwy 28 South on Robertson Creek Road. There is one hill with loose rocks and a couple of tight switchbacks that might give some a little trouble.

The other two are essentially the same with the exception of the starting and ending. The main part is basically the same. One route shows a waypoint to the Blue Hole, but that may or may not be closed.

I also included a couple of routes to my cabin from both Glenwood and from Arrowhead Campground for those coming for BBQ. For those not using a GPS, Apple maps has it as 17 Vaughn Spur, Glenwood, Ar and Google maps has it as 17 Vaughn Spur, Caddo Gap, Ar and it appears on the map as Gibson Lane! Go figure..

It looks like in addition to the BBQ chicken, Carl (Lahawk1) is going to smoke a brisket. That will be a real treat as he is quite the pitmaster!

~Tony

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Albert Pike-Mena LoopVersion 2.gpx
    243.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Caddo Gap to Mena BB Loop Version 2.gpx
    309 KB · Views: 208
  • Fourche Mountain Loop.gpx
    232.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Tony's Cabin from Arrowhead Campground.gpx
    11.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Tony's Cabin from Glenwood.gpx
    8.6 KB · Views: 210
Man, this trip is looking better and better.
Are any of you guys camping? My work situation is forcing me to wait until the last minute to make a decision on this.
If I can swing it, I would be adding to the small bike contingent.

Last year we had 2 groups, one a bit faster than the other. However, both groups had riders with a fair amount of dirt / gravel road experience before the ride.

The routes will be about half dirt and on the paved roads, we usually aren't on them for long stretches or high speeds so the bike itself should keep up fine. I think we had a DRZ in the mix last year.

Having said all of that, this probably isn't the best ride if you're still totally new to dirt riding unless you come with someone who you're planning to ride with. Everyone is different so you may pick it up super fast and be fine, but most riders brand new to dirt would find the pace a bit high. You could certainly come and camp and hang out with us and follow the same route. You could even start with us and see if the pace is ok or not and then separate from the group (after communicating this of course) and ride your own ride.

I don't want to sound like everyone will be going crazy fast, because they won't, but I wouldn't call it a true beginner pace either. Just trying to give you accurate information so you can decide.
Well, most folks pick it up fairly quickly and can hang. The ones that end up having dificulities will lose interest. I'm talking over the overall riding experience/ career. Most riders will ride at a spirited pace (that's what's so fun about it right). But your right , the slower ones take away from the overall group experience when you have to be concerned about their welfare or whether they keep falling , etc. What I've seen is that less ability riders usually volunteer to separate and do their own pace (which is what most responsible twt's do any way).

Y'all are gonna have so much fun!

Last edited:
Man, this trip is looking better and better.
Are any of you guys camping? My work situation is forcing me to wait until the last minute to make a decision on this.
If I can swing it, I would be adding to the small bike contingent.
Several of us are camping.

Here are some routes for the ride for those that want to use them....
The Fourche Mountain Loop could be a little difficult for big bikes above Highway 270, but that section is easily bypassed. When looking at the route, instead of going North off of 270, go West on 270 to pick the loop back up going South. The only section that I would question is from Hwy 28 South on Robertson Creek Road. There is one hill with loose rocks and a couple of tight switchbacks that might give some a little trouble.

The other two are essentially the same with the exception of the starting and ending. The main part is basically the same. One route shows a waypoint to the Blue Hole, but that may or may not be closed.

I also included a couple of routes to my cabin from both Glenwood and from Arrowhead Campground for those coming for BBQ. For those not using a GPS, Apple maps has it as 17 Vaughn Spur, Glenwood, Ar and Google maps has it as 17 Vaughn Spur, Caddo Gap, Ar and it appears on the map as Gibson Lane! Go figure..

It looks like in addition to the BBQ chicken, Carl (Lahawk1) is going to smoke a brisket. That will be a real treat as he is quite the pitmaster!

~Tony

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer
Thx for sharing the routes and the brisket addition sounds awesome. What's not to like, great riding and food.

That's when you listen to a loud air conditioner all night, footsteps on the ceiling and drunk people crawling out of their cars dropping their keys in the parking lot at 2:21am . :lol2:
I get in my motel bed and sleep just fine!! My neighbor has a German Shepherd, barks all night, I'm well trained to withstand noise!

Updated 03/24/19

In:
  1. MacDaddy
  2. Jarrett
  3. Ocho
  4. GLFlyer
  5. 2WheelNut
  6. MisterK
  7. woodsguy
  8. Rsquared +1 (son)
  9. GlenStJohn
  10. lotecredneck
  11. TxEvo8
Thinking about it:
  1. SpiritAtBay
  2. RobFelicci
  3. Black Eye

2WheelNut, can we (meaning you) move the updated list to the first post please?

Back