• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cancelled Event: Arkansas ADV Ride: Around Glenwood AR, Now May 17-19

Lotechredneck (LTRN) since you're in that area at least part time, I have a roads question that I'm hoping you might me able to answer. Last fall, 2WheelNut, GLFlyer and I did a nice route that a fellow TWTer had provided. The road in question is 378 going south from 270 between Y City and 375 to the east. His route showed them using 378 between 270 and 70 but when I looked at the maps online I see this road disappears for a short distance in the middle. I don't want to ride out there only to find we have to backtrack but I think it way go through and the map is just incomplete. We routed over to and down 375/Polk Rd. 70 instead which was fun but had a rocky downhill section (No Jarrett not at all like the K trail) on the way to Cherry.

The other roads question is NE of Glenwood called Monistary Ridge connecting Liberty Rd with Mt. View Rd. Ever ridden it? We went to the north end last year and got spooked when we saw the sign referencing motorized travel. We have since learned to disregard those signs believing they are just telling you to stay on the road. From the north side it seemed pretty desolate but looks like fun on the map.

Lotechredneck (LTRN) since you're in that area at least part time, I have a roads question that I'm hoping you might me able to answer. Last fall, 2WheelNut, GLFlyer and I did a nice route that a fellow TWTer had provided. The road in question is 378 going south from 270 between Y City and 375 to the east. His route showed them using 378 between 270 and 70 but when I looked at the maps online I see this road disappears for a short distance in the middle. I don't want to ride out there only to find we have to backtrack but I think it way go through and the map is just incomplete. We routed over to and down 375/Polk Rd. 70 instead which was fun but had a rocky downhill section (No Jarrett not at all like the K trail) on the way to Cherry.

The other roads question is NE of Glenwood called Monistary Ridge connecting Liberty Rd with Mt. View Rd. Ever ridden it? We went to the north end last year and got spooked when we saw the sign referencing motorized travel. We have since learned to disregard those signs believing they are just telling you to stay on the road. From the north side it seemed pretty desolate but looks like fun on the map.
I believe that 378 was washed away a year or so ago by floods that killed a couple of game wardens trying to rescue some people that were trapped. I will ask my friend Tim that knows that area very well and let you know.

Monistary road is a cool road! There are many areas that have that sign, but it relates to off-road vehicles being allowed, but stay on the trails/roads. Monistary is a pretty dim road, but is quite scenic and it does close from time to time as it's a walk-in turkey hunting area. There is a detour about 3/4 the way in coming from Mt View road where the creek washed out a huge culvert, but it is easily gone around. I have a GPS route that includes this road and several others that make the loop from Caddo Gap/Glenwood.

~Tony

Ok, that road is AKA Turner Creek road and is pretty washed out, but Tim thinks the USFS just graded it. It's also on the map as NF-172. The road above it called Robertson Creek road that ges North up to Hwy 28 is NOT big bike friendly! Going North would be doable on a big bike, but going South there is a pretty good pull that is littered with rocks and a couple of tight switchbacks thrown in for grins!

~Tony

Glad to see several others able to join.

Maybe I'll bring my WR and the GS and have a big an little bike day. All this talk of rocks, wash outs, switchbacks and single track is making me really excited.

Ok, that road is AKA Turner Creek road and is pretty washed out, but Tim thinks the USFS just graded it. It's also on the map as NF-172. The road above it called Robertson Creek road that ges North up to Hwy 28 is NOT big bike friendly! Going North would be doable on a big bike, but going South there is a pretty good pull that is littered with rocks and a couple of tight switchbacks thrown in for grins!

~Tony
Very timely and informative response, thanks Tony.

We rode up 125 from Brushy Creek (it changes numbers on our route) up to 28, left on 28, left on 163a which eventually turned into 9/Robertson Creek back to 270. I thought it was very big bike friendly decent forest roads and some great views. 2 Teneres' and and a GSA. I'd like to go back and it seemed like all skills could do it.

I will attach the route that I use that has both Monistary road and Robertson Creek road. You can compare and see if it's the same. The section I'm referring to has kicked the buts of several KLR riders going South. I could do it on my Tenere, but it would be a definite challenge.

~Tony

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Crystal Springs Ride (Tony's Version).gpx
    326.3 KB · Views: 229
Anyone done the SLAP Rally? It’s the same dates up in the Ozarks.

Quick question, is the Glenwood area comparable to the Ozarks? Thought Ozarks was the premiere areas.

Glad to see several others able to join.

Maybe I'll bring my WR and the GS and have a big an little bike day. All this talk of rocks, wash outs, switchbacks and single track is making me really excited.
We're planning on riding Saturday and sunday, probably spend Sunday night and go home early Monday, tentative.

Quick question, is the Glenwood area comparable to the Ozarks? Thought Ozarks was the premiere areas.
I've done a lot of street riding in the Ozarks and it's definitely better for street up there. It also has a bit more mountainous terrain so my guess is that the dirt roads are better too but I haven't ridden dirt up there yet.

But... it's also 3 to 4 hours further away and on a normal weekend ride, it becomes harder to get there and still have enough time to really enjoy the ride.

We've found some really fun dirt riding between Glenwood and Mena. It's well worth the 3-4 hours to get there for me and you can find a few hundred miles of decent dirt riding which is enough for a couple good days of riding.

Glennwood might be the lesser area, but it's still a lot of fun and works for me and for a few of us...

I've done a lot of street riding in the Ozarks and it's definitely better for street up there. It also has a bit more mountainous terrain so my guess is that the dirt roads are better too but I haven't ridden dirt up there yet.

But... it's also 3 to 4 hours further away and on a normal weekend ride, it becomes harder to get there and still have enough time to really enjoy the ride.

We've found some really fun dirt riding between Glenwood and Mena. It's well worth the 3-4 hours to get there for me and you can find a few hundred miles of decent dirt riding which is enough for a couple good days of riding.

Glennwood might be the lesser area, but it's still a lot of fun and works for me and for a few of us...
For me Glenwood area is right at 5-6 hours, way better than adding another 4 hours to the the trip.

Last edited:
I could do it on my Tenere, but it would be a definite challenge.

You just guaranteed that MacDaddy is going down that road on this trip.

If you don't mind, are there some big bike easy/friendly dirt roads and routes that you'd recommend?

There is likely going to be a couple of groups and not all of us going up there are trying to wad up our 600 lb bikes.

If you don't mind, are there some big bike easy/friendly dirt roads and routes that you'd recommend?

There is likely going to be a couple of groups and not all of us going up there are trying to wad up our 600 lb bikes.
You can do it!!!!

Yes, I'll post some routes that work for both...

~Tony

I know that comment was a bit tounge and cheek but most people that rider harder roads aren't doing it to wad up their bike. In fact, MacDaddy has about as much chance of wadding up his bike on that road as most riders do on a flat country road.

It looks different for all of us but I think we all want a bit of a challenge.. You can make easy roads more challenging by adding speed (which makes for violent crashes when you mess up) or you can find more challenging roads. I don't think any of us are looking to crash. But...speaking for myself, if I wanted easy, I could find that within 10 miles of home and I ride those roads fairly often and still have fun on them.

I go to places like Arkansas for the better scenery and the chance to ride things that are a bit more challenging. I'm guessing most of us are similar in that regard. Maybe I do take a bit more risk than some, but we all take more risk than the person that stays home and drives a car. I think that all motorcycle riders enjoy the challenge and risk of riding more than they fear the crash. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be worth it to ride.

Humorous note.... For the longest time, if someone was slower than me on the highway and I'd call them slow and want them to get out of the way and then someone would pass me and I'd call them a maniac. :)

Last edited:
MacDaddy has about as much chance of wadding up his bike on that road as most riders do on a flat country road.
I totally get it. That dude can ride a big bike offroad like no one else I've seen. I'm sure if I could ride like that, I'd be doing the same thing. But since I can't, I have to stick to the safer routes to keep from ending up off the edge of a cliff. I know no one wants to crash :)

I go to places like Arkansas for the better scenery
Same here. I'm not really after the challenge, I just like riding along through the trees enjoying the nice scenery and hoping to find some good routes that offer that. Pretty much everything we did last year falls into that camp for me. I might just end up repeating the same route we did last year. Another benefit of the bike computer, all my previous ride routes are automatically saved.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did the slap rally 2 years ago with @Simmons1 and @TossingLead but it was a flood. We had to evacuate the camp ground at 2am because Mulberry creek got into flood stage in like 2 hours! Good time and great people.

But we have great people on this ride too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally get it. That dude can ride a big bike offroad like no one else I've seen. I'm sure if I could ride like that, I'd be doing the same thing. But since I can't, I have to stick to the safer routes to keep from ending up off the edge of a cliff. I know no one wants to crash :)

Same here. I'm not really after the challenge, I just like riding along through the trees enjoying the nice scenery and hoping to find some good routes that offer that. Pretty much everything we did last year falls into that camp for me. I might just end up repeating the same route we did last year. Another benefit of the bike computer, all my previous ride routes are automatically saved.

+1, also my bike gets barn sour at about 2:30, it likes to return to camp;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back