• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cancelled Event: Arkansas ADV Ride: Around Glenwood AR, Now May 17-19

2WheelNut, I've got issues!!!!! Went out yesterday and did about 200 miles mixed terrain. At first just got the occasional stutter, then all of a sudden it stalls while running mid throttle, didn't even restart while slowing down by bump starting. But instantly restarted once stopped. Did this one more time. Doesn't pull strong off corners in the dirt and traction control light comes on way too early and steps in. On the asphalt runs as normal. I have time but this could be a nightmare running down the issue. Dang it.

You know if the 911 reader works on my 800 and RS1200? Would make it more worth while to buy one.

2WheelNut, I've got issues!!!!! Went out yesterday and did about 200 miles mixed terrain. At first just got the occasional stutter, then all of a sudden it stalls while running mid throttle, didn't even restart while slowing down by bump starting. But instantly restarted once stopped. Did this one more time. Doesn't pull strong off corners in the dirt and traction control light comes on way too early and steps in. On the asphalt runs as normal. I have time but this could be a nightmare running down the issue. Dang it.

You know if the 911 reader works on my 800 and RS1200? Would make it more worth while to buy one.
Ugh...sorry to hear. My GS is older so I don't have the 911 tool. I can try and research but I don't know the answer to your question.

Question...any chance you had dirt or some kind of failure on an ABS sensor? That might explain the loss of power and erratic behavior. Can you turn TC and ABS off in the dirt and see if it runs right? That would tell you it's a sensor or ECU issue and not engine.

Good luck figuring it out.

Hey Rob, I have one of the 911 readers if you can't figure it out. I would do like 2WheelNut suggested and turn off the nannies and see if it works properly.

~Tony

Do you happen to be from the Talco, TX area originally?

~Tony
Nope...not me. Originally from west Texas then moved to Arlington when I was young. Except for some college years, pretty much lived my whole life in Arlington.

I googled "800GS Stalling" and got a lot of hits related to fuel pump, vacuum problems, sidestand switch and some mentioning traction control. There is also a product called a "booster" that is meant to fix the stalling issue.

However...most of these hits were for 2008 to 2012 models and there was even a recall to fix the vacuum issue.

So...not sure it helps much for a 2016 but you might check the fuel pump, fuel screen and sidestand switch. My guess is that it's not fuel pump or fuel screen though since it runs fine on the street. You might do a bit more street riding just to confirm that though as it could be intermittent.

The above would be in addition to what has already been suggested of turning off the TC and ABS and seeing if the electronics seem to be your issue. I still think that's likely it.

I would be willing to bet fuel pump is on its way out.
Hope not but definitely could be. Going to chance it and ride to work tomorrow. Went dirty bike riding today and didn't mess with it.

Couldn't afford to be late, scared, so rode the 1200. Off tomorrow, will explore on it and see.

Hey Guys, I'm in the Houston area, considering to join this ride.

How many of you guys going on "small" bikes (450 D/S)?

Is this ride mainly dirt (70%?)?

Thanks!

Is this ride mainly dirt (70%?)?

Thanks!

Last year we had about 6 small bikes and 9 big bikes. Routes are probably 70% dirt and probably 85% dirt from a time perspective as the street miles go a bit faster. Even so, I don't think we went above 70 mph the entire trip so a 450 DS should be fine as long as it's got some range. As far as range, we typically have a gas stop after about 120 miles so as long as you have that, you should be fine.

Rob...@Woodsguy is coming up from the Houston area with several others. It's a bit of a drive from there, but he's doing it again which means it must have been worth it to him after doing it last year.

There is gas available in several places in the area. I should think that 100 miles would be the max between available and probably less than that. Depends on the route your riding. A friend has ridden much of it on his FE450 Husaberg and it doesn't have a really big tank.

~Tony

Last year we had about 6 small bikes and 9 big bikes. Routes are probably 70% dirt and probably 85% dirt from a time perspective as the street miles go a bit faster. Even so, I don't think we went above 70 mph the entire trip so a 450 DS should be fine as long as it's got some range. As far as range, we typically have a gas stop after about 120 miles so as long as you have that, you should be fine.

Rob...@Woodsguy is coming up from the Houston area with several others. It's a bit of a drive from there, but he's doing it again which means it must have been worth it to him after doing it last year.
There is gas available in several places in the area. I should think that 100 miles would be the max between available and probably less than that. Depends on the route your riding. A friend has ridden much of it on his FE450 Husaberg and it doesn't have a really big tank.

~Tony

Thanks guys. I think gas shouldn't be a problem. I have the bigger tank and did LAB2V ride a couple years ago going over 100 miles between gas stops.
I was more concerned about street % of ride and avg speeds. Not being the only small bike is good information.

I'll try to connect with the Houston riders and discuss.

I'll most likely be riding my 450 and my son will be riding my big bike on this trip.

Can someone describe the terrain the routes will endure? Thanks

Dave described it pretty good above. 90% of the dirt is graded gravel /dirt roads. When it get's big bike unfun, I tend to find a bypass :) Most of the guys like to ride all day, my bike has a habit of making it back to camp by 3ish for my afternoon nap :)

Thinking about this just now.
DS Rookie here. Very little off pavement experience but seeking more. Wondering if I would be able to keep up. New to me 2005 DRZ-400S.
Also, any cabin bunks available?

Updated 03/24/19

In:
  1. MacDaddy
  2. Jarrett
  3. Ocho
  4. GLFlyer
  5. 2WheelNut
  6. MisterK
  7. woodsguy
  8. Rsquared +1 (son)
  9. GlenStJohn
  10. lotecredneck
  11. TxEvo8
Thinking about it:
  1. SpiritAtBay
  2. RobFelicci
  3. Black Eye
GlFlyer, can you update the list with bike next to rider. Curious what everyone will be on is all as the topic seems to come up. I’m on a CRF250L. Also, as just mentioned, any available open beds to go in with someone/cost?

I was considering SLAP, till I found this ride and I would rather ride with my more local group.

DS Rookie here. Very little off pavement experience but seeking more. Wondering if I would be able to keep up. New to me 2005 DRZ-400S.

Arkansas is a great place to get some experience. If a road doesn’t sit well with you, turn around and we will meet up. No one races but Macdaddy and Super Dave. We just smile and say “Bless their hearts.” :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No one races but Macdaddy and Super Dave..”

Dave was a little slow last time we went with Macdaddy to AR... especially when his wheels were off the ground. 😃

But... He's now got himself one of them there brand-new "eye-talyan" suspensions. So... I expect him to be a bit more peppy this time around. 😉

GlFlyer, can you update the list with bike next to rider. Curious what everyone will be on is all as the topic seems to come up. I’m on a CRF250L.

I think I know these:
  1. MacDaddy - Tenere
  2. Jarrett - Africa Twin
  3. Ocho - Versys 300-X (but he somehow makes it keep up with 1200's :shrug:)
  4. GLFlyer - Tenere
  5. 2WheelNut - GS
  6. MisterK - Africa Twin

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year we had 2 groups, one a bit faster than the other. However, both groups had riders with a fair amount of dirt / gravel road experience before the ride.

The routes will be about half dirt and on the paved roads, we usually aren't on them for long stretches or high speeds so the bike itself should keep up fine. I think we had a DRZ in the mix last year.

Having said all of that, this probably isn't the best ride if you're still totally new to dirt riding unless you come with someone who you're planning to ride with. Everyone is different so you may pick it up super fast and be fine, but most riders brand new to dirt would find the pace a bit high. You could certainly come and camp and hang out with us and follow the same route. You could even start with us and see if the pace is ok or not and then separate from the group (after communicating this of course) and ride your own ride.

I don't want to sound like everyone will be going crazy fast, because they won't, but I wouldn't call it a true beginner pace either. Just trying to give you accurate information so you can decide.

Dave, pretty much the truth, and if you don't like rocks.....

Back