• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas ADV Ride Aug 24-26

I'm really looking forward to that stuff. That's exactly the type of thing I like to ride the most.

Agreed. I'd love to ride some stuff like that. Really looking forward to the ride report now.

Here are some routes that I told Woodsguy I would send... The Crystal Springs route is a variation of the one in the Ride Arkansas book. Be advised that the very top of the loop over Fourche Mountain is a bit tough for about .2 miles, but really beautiful.

If I didn't already have a trip planned to Colorado that week I would've been happy to be there.

Attachments

• Crystal Springs Ride Version 2 (Tony's Version).gpx
    306.1 KB · Views: 350
  • Albert Pike-Mena LoopVersion 2.gpx
    243.7 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Here it is in a viewable format:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28090556

ark.jpg

If you wanted to shorten the route and eliminate the hardest part, just skip the section just past 50 and 75 on the map shown. You would just continue West on Highway 270 then pick the route up heading South just past the 75 on this map.

~Tony

Last edited:
So the ride is big bike friendly, but not big bike only??? I could bring my Tenere, just don't know why I would if it is mostly dirt roads, feel like I would enjoy it more on the 690.

How hard is hard? Doable on the Tenere?

I would skip the part above Highway 270 on the Tenere. I have a Tenere, and while I think I could ride that section, there is a hill with tight switchbacks littered with bowling balls that you have to pick your way through for about .2 of a mile. If you stall it you will need help to get going again....

~Tony

So the ride is big bike friendly, but not big bike only??? I could bring my Tenere, just don't know why I would if it is mostly dirt roads, feel like I would enjoy it more on the 690.

I have a 690 as well as the S10 and it's a blast on the 690! The section above Highway 270 is pretty tough on a KLR or heavier bike if your not prepared for the rocks and switchbacks. I've ridden both of these routes on the KTM without a hitch!

~Tony

Last edited:
Thanks Tony, talked to my wife and got permission, so I think I am in for this ride. All I need to do now is call and see if they have any RV sites available for me at that Arrowhead campground.

Coming together , thanks Tony. As stated earlier, if some want to do the difficult part, the groups can meet back up. No need to deprive anyone of a challenge.

Here are some routes that I told Woodsguy I would send... The Crystal Springs route is a variation of the one in the Ride Arkansas book. Be advised that the very top of the loop over Fourche Mountain is a bit tough for about .2 miles, but really beautiful.

If I didn't already have a trip planned to Colorado that week I would've been happy to be there.

Do you have a guess on roughly road to dirt for these routes, just ballpark.

Looking fun...having never ridden that area, it's just squiggly lines on a map to me right now, but it still looks fun.

A bit more than a month to go.

There is a gate that will be locked, or it has been at County road 41 which is before the 25 marker on the posted map. You can easily ride around it to the county road. I'm not sure who gated it or why, but I have been through there many times and just ride through the trees to the left of the gate. Also, the road called Monistary road will have a sign that says dead end, just ignore that sign and keep going. Don't know why it's there, but it's not true! This road is really good and on a smaller bike like a 450-690 you can air it out! There are some erosion berms that are quite fun, but pay attention as the road washed out and you have to route around to the left to avoid the 8' deep washout! It is marked, but pay attention...

it's just squiggly lines on a map to me right now, but it still looks fun.

Well said. :rider:

I'm really looking forward to the report from this. I'm jealous, but happy for you guys. Living vicariously through others.:zen:

I'm going to try and make this one, sounds like fun! I'll bring, or ride, my Honda A.T. Looks like the roads will be ok for street tires.? I'll also have to check in to Arrowhead.

Back