• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas from Galveston area

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Irons
Looking to take a multiday ride (approx. 4 days) from Hitchcock, Tx. to Arkansas. I have a Butler map for the roads in Arkansas/Oklahoma, but I'm looking for suggestions on getting there. Is it best just to get on the freeway and haul? Also, was looking at starting the journey into Arkansas in Junction City, AR, then ride Scenic Bypass 7 north. The other option is start in Talihina, OK, and head East. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Been doing that ride this time of year from Santa Fe for over 10 years. Have a back road route that keeps you out of traffic if you're interested. Also
Have some ideas on roads to ride once there. If you want, stop by and see me and we can discuss. I'll be here till Sunday when I'll be tacking the wife up in the truck, she's never seen AR in the fall colors.

BTW, 7 is not a good road in the fall, too many "leaf peepers".

Awesome to hear. I will keep that in mind. I would rather take back roads, as long as it doesn't double the time to get there. A guy at work told me I had already passed up the good time to go up there. But I'm more interested in the roads, although the scenery would be a plus.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Awesome to hear. I will keep that in mind. I would rather take back roads, as long as it doesn't double the time to get there. A guy at work told me I had already passed up the good time to go up there. But I'm more interested in the roads, although the scenery would be a plus.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Ar road surfaces this year are the best I've seen in a long time.

Not sure if my reply is too late.

We did this ride a few years ago. We went up trough East Texas, hopping on and off 59. We stayed in Broken Bow, OK the first night, then rode Talihina, OK to Mena, AR and all over North West Arkansas the next couple of days. We stayed in Hot Springs the last night and back home from there.

I'll look to see if I still have any of the routes we used. Once we got to AR we fallowed @FJRMike most of the time.

You might try and ping @Mish Mish to see if she still knows the routes we took.

Not sure if my reply is too late.

We did this ride a few years ago. We went up trough East Texas, hopping on and off 59. We stayed in Broken Bow, OK the first night, then rode Talihina, OK to Mena, AR and all over North West Arkansas the next couple of days. We stayed in Hot Springs the last night and back home from there.

I'll look to see if I still have any of the routes we used. Once we got to AR we fallowed @FJRMike most of the time.

You might try and ping @Mish Mish to see if she still knows the routes we took.
Sorry for the super late response Chad. I decided against it, due to the temps at those times. Went out to the hill country again. But I do want to try and do something maybe in the spring if y'all are open to it?

I'll be up for something in the spring. I think Arkansas would be best over a 4 day (or more) weekend.

I've been wanting to do some more overnights in general, weather and timing just hasn't worked out lately. I know the we've kicked around the idea of another trip to the Tabasco factory.

Arkansas is very much like CO. Anywhere in the western half of the state is good. We wander around the southwestern qtr west of I 30 and south oh I 40. Then the NW corner doing pretty much the same, staying in the western half. Each qtr will lead you to stuff to find in the future, lifetime supply since so much is worth repeating. The beauty of AR for us is its proximity to lots of us. And don't forget the E/SE area of OK. So much to see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What is a "leaf peeper" please?

Those that visit these places in the fall to see the color. Usually driving slow, drifting out is their lane with the occasional sudden stop to take pictures.

Those that visit these places in the fall to see the color. Usually driving slow, drifting out is their lane with the occasional sudden stop to take pictures.
Gotcha, that was a new one to me, so thanks for the translation.

There's also a term for people who do that in the Hill Country with the wildflowers, but I don't remember the name.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Charles, consider riding 59 north to 259 on up into Oklahoma where you can catch Ok 1 over to Mena, Ar

71 to 23 up thru Ozark to Cass

rt on 215 to Oark

great burger and pie @ the Oark Cafe

at the north end of 23 is Eureka Springs where motels abound

grab a room and take 187 a few mies north to an one lane all wooden swinging bridge at the little community of Beaver

from Eureka Springs you can go over and ride 7 down or ride 21 south to Clarksville

from Clarksville over to Russellville on 40 and 7 south thru Hotsprings and on to 30

here's where you make the decision to grab the slab home or keep meandering south thru the country if you have the time

rememberize distances in Arkansas are measured in TIME not miles and the route i've suggested may have already pushed your window

SHINY SIDE UP

sw

Thanks for that, I will definitely take all of these things into consideration. And yeah, I know what you mean about time vs miles. Mountain miles are way different than flat Southeast texas miles lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back