• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas Ride May 3-5 Glenwood AR

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
We made a great decision, conditions could not be better. By afternoon had a light dust. Weather predicted rain never happened Saturday or Sunday.

Where is that dam at and can it be accessed by pavement? Looks like it was a great weekend.

Last edited:
The paved entrance road off of 246 is like a nicely paved race track with very little to non existent traffic. But please be like us and respect the posted 25 mph speed limit. :brainsnap

Last edited:
I recognize Shady Lake, but I haven't crossed the bridge and low water crossing in the above two photos? I'd like to take a couple of my TW riding buddies up there soon. Where are/what roads are these?
MacDaddy will have to answer that, I'm doing good to find his skid marks in the gravel!

I recognize Shady Lake, but I haven't crossed the bridge and low water crossing in the above two photos? I'd like to take a couple of my TW riding buddies up there soon. Where are/what roads are these?

The dam is at Shady Lake.
The swollen water crossing is here in the center of the screen if this works out. Says its Mill Creek and its a ways away from Shady Lake.

Riding away from the Wolf Pen Gap area we had some nice roads through the woods. But when we were ready to come out near Shady Lake we found that we were locked in. Oh well, where there's a will there's a way. Lots of stumps hidden in that rain soaked ground. Dave leads the way and tenderizes the terrain for Rob.

Riding away from the Wolf Pen Gap area we had some nice roads through the woods. But when we were ready to come out near Shady Lake we found that we were locked in. Oh well, where there's a will there's a way. Lots of stumps hidden in that rain soaked ground. Dave leads the way and tenderizes the terrain for Rob.

"Rob" (me) is very cautious on big bikes, plus my size 16 boots were caught in all the darn vines, and hidden stumps. That's my story, lol! Thanks again for leading us around, you're great at making routes!

And BTW, the wooden bridge is located here not to far from Mill Creek.

Once I simply pulled a smaller dual sport bike under a pipe gate.

That's funny. I've seen a couple of people do that in videos but not in person. As we rolled up to it that was my initial thought but then soon realized that was going to be a lot of work with what we were riding.

Were are you planning on riding out of when you're up there?

Is there an overlay on a map of our route? Be cool to see where you took us.:sun:

Woodsguy, this is what we rode Sunday morning that took us about 3 hours. Since we had a little time left after gassing up in Norman I threw in Monistary Ridge by way of Liberty Rd as you know. If I were laying out from the start we would have avoided some of the pavement and tried Smokey Hollow Rd east out of Norman over to Palmer Rd where we would turn south until we hit Liberty and go east a short bit till Monistary.

I'm real busy with work right now but hopefully I can Saturday's ride up Thursday if not sooner.

^^^^^By all means, Tony and Miss Francis were excellent hosts and treated us better than we deserved and for no apparent reason other than we were motorcyclists. Awesome folks. Pretty nice home and location too.

[Dragging a motorcycle under a pipe gate] ... was going to be a lot of work with what we were riding.

Were are you planning on riding out of when you're up there?

It was an XT225 that exited under a pipe gate. I've ridden that general area out of Mena, Shady & Hot Springs. I looking to take some new riders up there soon, perhaps camping at Shady Lake, or bunking at a cabin/motel around Glenwood/Caddo Gap.

Several years ago , KevlarRider John (R.I.P.) and I had found ourselves on the inside of a pipe gate - the little bikes found a way around this one:

Back