• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas Ride May 3-5 Glenwood AR

i experienced a slick slab fall on my strom once but managed to step off before it bit me. really does happen fast , no way to prevent when it goes sideways.

Those short crossings like that can be deceptively nasty!!

Daniel and I were riding two up on my 07 GS last year up in Arkansas. We came up on one of those short concrete crossings. I stopped prior to attempting it. It was only about 2" deep but flowing pretty good. The front tire was maybe a foot or two into the water and the back tire was just about to enter the water when the front washed right out from under me in an instant!! We were down and had water flooding into the tops of our jackets and pants in a mere fraction of a second. Fortunately, neither of us were hurt. We came up on another just a few miles later. Daniel got off and walked across while I VERY carefully paddle walked the bike across, slipping and sliding all the way. Then we spent the rest of the day riding around trying to dry out...

For the record the crossing did not get him, it surprised him coming out of a fast sweeper, too much front brake got him and he slid into the drink!

For the record the crossing did not get him, it surprised him coming out of a fast sweeper, too much front brake got him and he slid into the drink!
Easy to do...

It once came around a corner early in my dual sport riding experience and I was going WAY too fast. It was in Arkansas again... The only thing that clued me in to the fact that I was about to being in trouble was a truck that passed me going the other way that was dripping water all over the place! I had enough time to notice out of the corner of my eye that an unusual amount of water was coming off the truck and realize that it could only mean I was about to see some serious water! I started braking into and through the corner, but once I came around I realized there was NO WAY I was ever going to be able to stop in time. So I straightened up, shifted my weight back, and got back on the gas... It turned out to be fairly deep. In no time at all my feet were swept off the pegs and I was laying on the seat face down hanging on for dear life... I could see the far bank and somehow managed to keep the bike upright and aimed for the far side. I made it, got my feet back under me, stopped, and parked the bike. I could not believe my good fortune! The other guys came through a little less dramatically...

That was one of a few moments that REALLY stuck in my head and got me to realize I needed to be MUCH more cautious and careful about how I was riding. Getting hit head on by that ATV up in Arkansas was another, even though that was totally NOT my fault and I wasn't doing anything stupid at the time.

Back in the saddle again.
After 8 weeks I finally made it out to Red River Trails for a good long off-road sesh.
Looking forward to the fall installation of this event so I can redeem myself.

Yeah, feels good....mostly. Still have a weird catch in my right shoulder blade.
Rob, I haven't forgotten your invitation to ride SHNF. Gotta wait until it cools off again though.
Maybe late September.

Last edited:
Yeah, fees good....mostly. Still have a weird catch in my right shoulder blade.
Rob, I haven't forgotten your invitation to ride SHNF. Gotta wait until it cools off again though.
Maybe late September.

That’s great! Glad to see you feeling better and still have the itch. It sure is nice up there and I’d love to ride with you, Rob and 2WheelNut again (and others).

Steve, I actually (finally) edited that river crossing video, but couldn't figure out how to post it up on this site. I think one has to have a hosting site and link it here.

I don’t think that’s as important as before and there are better ways, but I just turned 60 so you need to find a 14 year old to help you out on this. :doh:

Same dam today, thanks Barry.

Last edited:
Looks a lot different than in post #7 and that was during a pretty wet period or so I thought.

I don’t think that’s as important as before and there are better ways, but I just turned 60 so you need to find a 14 year old to help you out on this. :doh:
wow steve, you look great in your avatar for 60. strong jaw line. hehe

Steve, I actually (finally) edited that river crossing video, but couldn't figure out how to post it up on this site. I think one has to have a hosting site and link it here.

That is correct. Vid files can get really big and I don't have the storage space to store everyone's videos ;-) You can create a channel on YouTube for free, upload them there, then link to them here. That is what I do.

Back