• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ARKLATEX Weekend Adventure

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
ARKLATEX weekend Adventure 10/4/13 thru 10/6/13

Linda was out of town and I had one use or lose it vacation day to use. Perfect a three day weekend for a ride in cooler weather. The fly in the ointment was a jury duty summons. Luckily I got an email that told me I wasn't needed so my long weekend was on.

Day 1 Fort Worth to Natchitoches, La

Goal for the day would be to clear the Metromess and then explore back roads South of I20 in East Texas and Louisiana.

Leaving the Barn

IMGP6698-L.jpg

Crossing Cedar Creek Reservoir

IMGP6705-L.jpg

It was a little early but the timing was right for lunch

IMGP6706-L.jpg

After I getting past Tyler I was on the FM's and CR's I had been longing for. I wasn't concerned about road surface this ride since I was on the Tenere.

I was on a fun bumpy twisty CR when it turned to dirt. I started out pretty rutted up and then got pretty smooth like it was just graded. I soon met a a couple graders. They guys looked a bit surprised to see a bike in the middle of nowhere. When I rode out the other the end the road had barricade and a road closed sign posted.

IMGP6709-L.jpg

Soon enough I would be crossing the Sabine River at Logansport, LA

IMGP6723-L.jpg

IMGP6711-L.jpg

I had never been to the old International Border of the Republic of Texas and the United States so I decided to check it out.

IMGP6712-L.jpg

IMGP6716-L.jpg

It is pretty wild thinking that used to be the border. I back tracked back to Logansport and then continued my route which go down the East side of Toledo Bend Reservoir.

The roads were fun and scenic to ride and everything was green. As dry as it has been at home even here it looked the reservoir could use a lot more water.

At Bayou San Patricia

IMGP6729-L.jpg

IMGP6730-L.jpg

IMGP6732-L.jpg

After playing tag with some afternoon showers I was in Natchitoches my destination for the day. Established in 1714 by*Louis Juchereau de St. Denis*as part of*French Louisiana, the community was named after the Natchitoches*Indian*tribe. The City of Natchitoches was first incorporated on February 5, 1819. It is the oldest permanent settlement in the*Louisiana Purchase. Natchitoches's sister city is*Nacogdoches,Texas.

These days it is pretty touristy in the old downtown area.

IMGP6733-L.jpg

IMGP6734-L.jpg

When in Louisiana do as the natives do. I had a Shrimp Poboy and an Abita Purple Haze for supper.

IMGP6749-L.jpg

The small downtown reminded me of New Orleans. Even though it was Friday night there was a car show with music playing.

IMGP6735-L.jpg

IMGP6739-L.jpg

IMGP6740-L.jpg

IMGP6742-L.jpg

IMGP6747-L.jpg

IMGP6746-L.jpg

What a great first day for a weekend ride.

Day 2 Natchitoches, La to Mena, Ar

I got up early had a little breakfest in the Hotel Lobby and the hit the road it was cloudy and humid.

IMGP6755-L.jpg

To stay off major roads I back tracked about 20 miles before heading North. The roads were curvy and fun so I didn't matter to me. I stopped to check out a couple Historic sites as I headed North.

The first was where the Battle of Pleasant Hill was fought.

The*Battle of Pleasant Hill*was fought on April 9, 1864, during the*Red River Campaign*of the*American Civil War, near*Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, between*Union*forces led by*Maj. Gen.*Nathaniel P. Banks*and*Confederate*forces, led by Maj. Gen.*Richard Taylor.
The battle was essentially a continuation of the previous day's*Battle of Mansfield, fought nearby, which ended around sunset due to darkness[3]*— night time provided a brief interlude in hostilities. On April 9, Taylor launched an ambitious assault against the newly reinforced Federals at Pleasant Hill and had the upper hand before*Brig. Gen.*Thomas J. Churchill's*Arkansas*division*was flanked on its right and repulsed. After the battle, the Federals remained demoralized and unconfident in their commander — they retreated to*Grand Ecore, and from there to*Alexandria. Officially, the battle was a Union victory — as the Confederates were successfully driven from the field. However, because Banks and his army had retreated so soon afterwards, many argued over who had really won.

IMGP6757-L.jpg

IMGP6759-L.jpg

IMGP6761-L.jpg

IMGP6762-L.jpg

IMGP6763-L.jpg

IMGP6764-L.jpg

Soon after passing through Mansfield it started raining and would rain for the next hour or so.

IMGP6766-L.jpg

IMGP6767-L.jpg

IMGP6768-L.jpg

I would soon be back in Texas and on my way to Jeffereson for gas and a snack.

IMGP6769-L.jpg

IMGP6770-L.jpg

From Jefferson I was headed to Lake 'O The Pines for the North Texas Norton Owners Association (NTNOA) annual Rally.

http://www.ntnoa.org/13loprecap.htm

On the way to LOP.

IMGP6771-L.jpg

IMGP6774-L.jpg

When I arrived at the Rally the sun was out and it was beautiful.

IMGP6775-L.jpg

Juat a few of the many awesome bikes on display.

IMGP6841-L.jpg

IMGP6832-L.jpg

IMGP6778-L.jpg

IMGP6779-L.jpg

IMGP6783-L.jpg

IMGP6787-L.jpg

IMGP6789-L.jpg

IMGP6790-L.jpg

IMGP6792-L.jpg

IMGP6794-L.jpg

IMGP6797-L.jpg

IMGP6802-L.jpg

IMGP6804-L.jpg

IMGP6803-L.jpg

IMGP6805-L.jpg

IMGP6809-L.jpg

IMGP6812-L.jpg

IMGP6817-L.jpg

IMGP6819-L.jpg

IMGP6823-L.jpg

IMGP6825-L.jpg

IMGP6833-L.jpg

IMGP6835-L.jpg

After a couple hours of looking at beautiful bikes it was time to hit the road for Mena.

IMGP6855-L.jpg

IMGP6856-L.jpg

I stopped for a Pepsi and stretch in Dequeen, Ar. It was still a hot and humid 89 degrees out. There was supposed to be a big cold front coming through and I was surprised I hadn't encountered it yet.
About 10 minutes North of Dequeen the temp started dropping fast. I zipped the vents and turned on the grip warmers. When I stopped at the beer store about 50 feet over the border in Oklahoma it was a damp and chilly 58. After purchasing provisions for the night I put on a liner and some warm gloves finished off my day getting to Mena.

IMGP6857-L.jpg

IMGP6859-L.jpg

After getting cleaned up I headed to the center of town for a steak at the Branding Iron,

IMGP6860-L.jpg

The Saturday night special was all you can eat steak, shrimp and catfish for $16.99. This is what showed up after I finished my salad.

2013-10-05%2017.40.39-L.jpg

Needless to say, one portion was more than plenty and I didn't finish it. Shorty after I got back to the Hotel the Heavens opened with cold rain that lasted many hours.

Another great day in books.

Day 3 Mena to Home

Today be a long day. I awoke to damp air from the rain and temps in the high 40's. I wanted to be on the road by sunrise as I was planning to be out side of Lindale, TX by 11ish.

I loaded up checked out of the Hotel and headed across the street for something quick to eat.

IMGP6864-L.jpg

The guy on the Wing parked to me was wearing a light windbreaker and commented to me he was glad he only had a couple hour ride to get home as didn't have any cool weather gear with him. I bit my lip to not burst our laughing as he was by himself on a bike with three hard bags and he was pulling a big trailer and he had no gear with him.

I was a little nervous heading off for Talmena Scenic Drive in the dark. I have seen plenty of animals including a bear in other trips across in the daylight.

IMGP6865-L.jpg

The sun rose quickly and I had the Scenic Drive all to myself. It was great with no traffic on a cool, crisp fall morning.

IMGP6872-L.jpg

IMGP6873-L.jpg

IMGP6874-L.jpg

IMGP6875-L.jpg

The sun was really starting to come up and the view down in to the foggy valley was spectacular.

IMGP6878-L.jpg

IMGP6881-L.jpg

IMGP6884-L.jpg

IMGP6887-L.jpg

IMGP6888-L.jpg

IMGP6889-L.jpg

I didn't see another vehicle until I turned off on 259 headed towards broken arrow. I headed down hill through the fog and then back up to 3 Sticks Monument.

IMGP6890-L.jpg

IMGP6891-L.jpg

South I go in the cool clear air

IMGP6893-L.jpg

I made a quick stop in Clarksville, TX for gas and Pepsi and headed for Lindale. From the Texas border until below I30 the road is straight and flat with nothing on it for miles and miles. I don't carried away much in my old age but I was a little bored and aired out the Super T for a short stretch.

IMGP6894-L.jpg

After crossing 30 the scenery and roads would get progressively nice until I got to my next stop. The 30th annual Guzzi Riders of Texas (GRIT) outside of Lindale.

IMGP6910-L.jpg

Before I had my gear off I was greated by Moose who had ridden up for the day from Houston. The rally is at great location in the woods over looking a lake at American Legion Post 15. Soon after seeing Moose I bumped in to Gravel Guy and his son, and several other TWT'ers.

IMGP6898-L.jpg

IMGP6900-L.jpg

IMGP6901-L.jpg

IMGP6903-L.jpg

IMGP6904-L.jpg

IMGP6905-L.jpg

IMGP6906-L.jpg

IMGP6907-L.jpg

IMGP6909-L.jpg

IMGP6913-L.jpg

IMGP6914-L.jpg

After a wonderful lunch of, you guessed it, pasta. I headed home but not before some I rode some more beautiful East Texas back roads.

IMGP6916-L.jpg

IMGP6918-L.jpg

All in all I had great relaxing weekend ride exploring the ARKLATEX area..

Very cool. I'll have to check some of these out when I can. Thanks for linking it in the adv tag game, wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

You had a busy weekend.
Nice report and pictures, looks like the guy in five pictures ^ up is the famous Gravel Guy, aka as Mark D.

Last edited:
You had a busy weekend.
Nice report and pictures, looks like the guy in five pictures ^ up is the INfamous Gravel Guy, aka as Mark D.
Fixed that for you, CDC.....great report! Loved those foggy valley pictures! :clap: :sun:

Good post with great pictures!

I can't believe they had Norton's at the Norton Owners meeting...
and a Mammoth? I'd liked to have seen that!!

We had a camp on the last wild river in Arkansas - Cassatot River. Our camp was called the "Cassatot Hilton"! :rofl: Remember driving over to Broken Bow to get Coor's beer. The Dequeen police never stopped us because we had La. plates! :trust:

Sounds like a trip I'd like to replicate. Thanks for posting.

Excellent. :thumb: Just came back thru Pleasant Hill this afternoon. Unfortunately, the Dairy Delight is closing on Sunday.

Enjoyed the pix and the report. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.
Bonus: now I've linked a face (Mark's) with his TWT handle (Gravel Guy)...Ah so...

Great report! :clap:

Looks like a very cool three days.

The legend of Natchitoches and Nacogdoches.

An Indian tribe lived near the Sabine river. The chief had twin sons. When his sons reached maturity the chief directed one to gather his family and ride toward the rising sun for one day and find a home for a new tribe. He directed the other son to lead a portion of the tribe riding one day toward the setting sun and find good lands for a new tribe. This is why you find Nacogdoches and Natchitoches near equal distance from the Sabine and with names very similar to the original tribe.

_RG_; The legend of Natchitoches and Nacogdoches. An Indian tribe lived near the Sabine river. The chief had twin sons. When his sons reached maturity the chief directed one to gather his family and ride toward the rising sun for one day and find a home for a new tribe. He directed the other son to lead a portion of the tribe riding one day toward the setting sun and find good lands for a new tribe. This is why you find Nacogdoches and Natchitoches near equal distance from the Sabine and with names very similar to the original tribe.[/QUOTE said:
How does Natchez, MS. Fit into this? Just wondering.

This is the kind of ride report I really enjoy reading. I think its the first one I've ever read in its entireity. Excellent use of you UIOLIDay!

Can't see the pictures. What happened to the pictures? I live in the ArkLaTex and wanted to see if I have been to any of these places, or if I might want to try to find them myself.

I just checked the and the pictures are still there.

Sent from my Droid

Please excuse any typos

Back