• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend 2011 - Feb 24-27, Terlingua

Thanks Richard, Connie and Uncle for a great event. Being my first ride in Big Bend it was really outstanding and will not be my last.

Also thanks to the many riders that took me under there wings in finishing Old Ore Road that was trying to kick my _____.:giveup:

Here is a link to some of the pictures. If you are in them and want a copy just let me know.

http://timbercat.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Dual-Sport/Around-the-Bend-2011/16016261_fXhHk

John and I had a great time. Thanks to all the organizers, volunteers, "staff", supporters, promoters, and especially fellow enthusiasts. Big Bend is on my annual "Gonna Do It No Matter What" short list, something I didn't realize until right in the middle of this, my second trip, while looking over the desert from the top of the Mariscal Mine 25 miles from no where on River Road. It was great to see old friends and meet new ones in our odd little dual sporting family. I got to introduce my friend John to the world of motorcycle vacations, the desert, and life outside of the box. This was a first and certainly not his last Texas Adventure tour. Everyone who stayed home, I am sorry, really sorry, you missed out on this ride. We missed ya. Come next year!

Big Bend is on my annual "Gonna Do It No Matter What" short list

That is where I was not that many years ago. Now I have a place out there on which I am building a sustainable place to live. As soon as I can I am outa the DFW metro-mess. As someone we all know is fond of saying "Life is good in the desert".

Man what fun! And all I rode was Terlingua ranch. I still have BBNP and BBR to explore. Thanks to everyone especially Richard for getting the TAR series going.

The GPS and photo workshops were great!

Can't wait for TAR in Junction.

Trail Boss
IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

More photos.

I wish I could write trip reports like Dr. Otto, Trice Pilot, etc. All I can say is that I had an absolute fantastic time. I'm very fortunate in having a beautiful wife who likes to ride and is very good at it. We had the the great fortune in meeting a gentleman by the name of Timbercat (Lee) to ride with on Friday and had a fantastic time. Saturday Uncle Roger took us on a great ride. At the hotel we had a great bunch of kids next to us. Andy, Brad, Norbert, and a few others I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember their names. It was great for them to tolerate us older folks and make us feel at home. AND keep us supplied with homemade cookies. And we also had Trice Pilot and Thumper_Tex for neighbors also.
What a great time!!

Robert, it was good meeting you and CC at my place while you were riding with Roger. Stay longer next time you drop by.

Alright, somebody bless one of the ride report threads as the mothership so we can start dropping some photos. This is one of my favorites...

1202239870_9zviJ-L.jpg

Yes, that is Stingray Scott with a 6-ish gallon gastank, bone dry 11 miles outside of Presidio... :lol2: Vinny and I went by with the inquiring thumb-up?? gesture and received a disappointed and slightly sheepish thumbs-down in return. :-P

Andrew and Stepahnie, "Thank You" for the Hospitality as I also feel I owe you the dinner.
Be well... Ara & Spirit

You are most welcome...you owe us nothing. We enjoyed your company immensely & look forward to spending time with you on our next trip :eat:

What a great bunch of folks. I'll start by saying Richard, Connie and Uncle know how to put together a great event. I also want to say thanks to all those who stopped by the trailer to introduce themselves, just wish we could have rode more with ya'll but business is business.
If any of you find yourselves in East TN stop in and say Hi or if your in need of anything we'll do our best to help out.

Ride Safe,
Dan

Alright, somebody bless one of the ride report threads as the mothership so we can start dropping some photos. This is one of my favorites...

1202239870_9zviJ-L.jpg

Yes, that is Stingray Scott with a 6-ish gallon gastank, bone dry 11 miles outside of Presidio... :lol2: Vinny and I went by with the inquiring thumb-up?? gesture and received a disappointed and slightly sheepish thumbs-down in return. :-P

One of the many reasons why we didn't make it to Mexico that day. All the omens were there, flats, running out of fuel, starting late, etc. We made it up the next day thou.

1202239870_9zviJ-L.jpg

And I still can't say thank you enough for bailing me out. I need to buy you and Vinny a few beers!

I didn't make the trip as my tow vehicle (my wife's truck) was totaled 2 days before I was scheduled to leave:giveup:

Did anyone ride Casa Piedra road from 170 to Marfa? If so, how was it? I've read the trip reports but don't think I've seen it mentioned. That's one of the roads I'd planned on riding....

Star Trail shot from behind the Chisos Mining Co. Enjoy!

John

Cool, looks like a stacked image. If so, how many shots did it take? I've never had the patience to do that. Just some shorter star trails.

Back