• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend & Lone Star Reunion Feb 28 - Mar 3, 2019

That's spectacular. So if you can get across the river to Boquillas you're golden to ride down to the border crossing in Presidio?

Taking the river road to the Boquillas crossing and then around to Presidio and back would be a haul it seems.

I was hoping to pick it up tomorrow and get it applied tomorrow night but I've opted to take the easy way out and order it from Amazon. Thanks for all your help.

Does anyone know who carries this locally in North Dallas area? I see a lot of their tire sealant available but none of the tube sealant.

Walmart, Auto Zone, O’Riles. It may be blue Purple, or Green. Lots of differed names and brands. But I think Walmart carries the green slime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's spectacular. So if you can get across the river to Boquillas you're golden to ride down to the border crossing in Presidio?

Taking the river road to the Boquillas crossing and then around to Presidio and back would be a haul it seems.

200 miles from Boquillas to Ojinaga on the MX side, another 60 miles to Terlingua.

Tricepilot's video is from the MX side at Santa Elena.

I've seen three varieties of Slime, tube, tubeless, general. I don't know if there is any real difference in them. I've bought the Slime for tubes at WalMart, gallon jugs for+/- $25.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 12-27-2017.gpx
    660.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

No - absolutely not - can not take a vehicle across at Boquillas.

Newbie question:

I'm relatively comfortable with gravel roads and a bit of trail riding (been on 5-7 multi-hour off-road rides) and enjoy riding fast.

Should I join the Newbie dual sport ride on Friday or do something a bit more advanced with other groups.

And, if joining other groups, how to figure out which trail is best to go on out of all the options we have?

In summary, what I'm asking is whether or not there is a structured process of figuring these questions out during Thursday's check-in and meet and greet.

Thanks!

Camping Amigos, in a last minute realization that in-park camping solo 30 min from ride HQ is a dull move, I booked this campsite in Terlingua, a couple of minutes from ride HQ: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17649451?guests=1&adults=1

Looks like there's plenty of sites left on the property so if anyone wants to join please do.

Also shout out to Keith with the sweet Beta I met last Saturday

I just wanna echo this again. If you're trailering, perhaps consider bringing a 5 gal water jug, or two. Others will need water also, and the fewer .5 liter bottles that need immediate recycling, the better. It appears the boil notice started on or before the 19th - so small water bottle supply in the Study Butte area might be already depleted.

Thanks for the heads up here, I'll stop on my way out from Austin and bring 2-3, 5 gallon jugs

Newbie question:

I'm relatively comfortable with gravel roads and a bit of trail riding (been on 5-7 multi-hour off-road rides) and enjoy riding fast.

Should I join the Newbie dual sport ride on Friday or do something a bit more advanced with other groups.

And, if joining other groups, how to figure out which trail is best to go on out of all the options we have?

In summary, what I'm asking is whether or not there is a structured process of figuring these questions out during Thursday's check-in and meet and greet.

Thanks!

Hi Boomer - if this is your first time doing non-paved roads in the Big Bend it’s not a bad idea to join the newbie ride on Friday and then deciding for Saturday once you have a better feel for the terrain here what you would like to do.

I will not be able to make it this year due to conflicting activities with kids sports. If any of you guys passing through Midland on the way to/from Big Bend are in the market for a well rounded dual sport setup, I'm passing my XR650L along...

Wishful thinking ( I wish I was in BB already)

View attachment 228750

This is Lake Ament Rd. Please do not ride this road. There have been a few incidents in the past where residents on this road have confronted riders and demanded the riders leave. It is not worth it. There is plenty of good riding in the area without stirring up this fight.

GPX viewer
There was an incident last week with Cassandra Mead, a resident on Lake Ament Road. She threatened a group of riders with a gun apparently. But, when you are on the road by her property you are technically on her property. Yes, she's a fruitcake. But I would strongly agree with JT and stay off this road. Remember, almost every road in Terlingua Ranch is on private property. Keep the speed and noise down when passing homes. Also, on Sawmill Road there is Penelope Jones who owns property there. Stop at the Hilton but not anywhere else. She's also rather fond of beer and guns. Not a good combo. Robert

200 miles from Boquillas to Ojinaga on the MX side, another 60 miles to Terlingua.

Tricepilot's video is from the MX side at Santa Elena.

Yeah, that's a lot farther than I thought it would be. That'll need to be an overnight ride one day. But the view up there is truly awe inspiring.

On your trek West, if you're a race fan & passing through Midland, be sure & stop at the Petroleum Museum and visit the truly amazing Chaparral Gallery. Midland boys, Jim Hall & Hap Sharp showed the racing world what some West Texas ingenuity can do. Inventions we take for granted like moveable wings, split-rims, ground-effects, active-suspension and much more all came out of Chaparral and the exhibition showcases the race winning cars & technology up close including the mighty "Sucker Car" banned after 2 races!

Yeah, that's a lot farther than I thought it would be. That'll need to be an overnight ride one day. But the view up there is truly awe inspiring.
I want to do this sometime too.

The Mexican Santa Elena overlook is About 90 miles from the border, 60 paved, 30 dirt. We trailer to Presidio early, it is a full day. There is gas and food in Benevides, the town at the end of the pavement. Find me and we'll talk about it.

Looks to be a rather unexpected warm up! Highs on Thursday 86.

Wondering if an ADV jacket on River Road is a bad idea and should shed for lighter body armor. Do you experienced Big Bend riders have an opinion one way or the other? The hotter temps look like they are in the late afternoon. I'll bring both for sure.

Jimmy, in January, it was in the 30s at the beginning of the day and into the 70s mid-afternoon.

Layering, ease of shedding and a way to carrying said layering is key.

My full ADV jacket will not even be packed and I'll have my warmer weather gear, yet appropriate protection for this area. Layering for morning cooler temps. I'll personally need to carry lots of water in this dry and warm air.

Back