• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend & Lone Star Reunion Feb 28 - Mar 3, 2019

Ian booked our room today and I’ve blocked my schedule!

Can’t wait, went out there in August(; looking forward to being able to stay out all day!

It’s Me! Finally got my **** together and got on the forum. Can’t wait to be more active in the Dual Sport/Adventure TX community.

Ocho

Forum Supporter
What’s the hotel recommended for this event? Do groups start from around the same place or it varies? Newbie here.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Most everyone stays in or around Terlingua or Study Butte. There's Chisos Mining Co, Big Bend Resort, or El Dorado. Or a bunch of places to camp. It's possible to stay further out - but if you're joining a group, they pretty much all meet up at the 118/170 junction for re-fueling each morning. It's a lotta cold, early miles to stay outside this immediate area...

Check is in the mail...literally. I have a reservation made at the hotel. I have the time off requested at work.

It will be the first trip for my newly acquired Honda CRF250 (2017). I am ready to really check it out.

I might be interested in ride sharing/car pooling if anyone is coming from the San Angelo area.

Registered. Excited to camp out in the desert for a few days. Will be trucking the DR650 & DR200 out from atx :rider:

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Check is in the mail...literally. I have a reservation made at the hotel. I have the time off requested at work.

It will be the first trip for my newly acquired Honda CRF250 (2017). I am ready to really check it out.

I might be interested in ride sharing/car pooling if anyone is coming from the San Angelo area.

:thumb:

Just so you know, depending on where you camp you can be up to an hour ride away from Study Butte.
I know, I will probly be in the Chisos Basin Campground. I can camp there for $7 a night ( I have a handicap Access Pass which is good for 1/2 price camping in all national parks and parklands) And I don't mind a little ride.

Its been awhile since this gringo has been to BB, and a long time since riding there. In!

I will arrange the nuts and bolts stuff (payment etc)towards the end of the month. Thanks Richard!

I am planning to attend this BIg Bend ride. I am from Norman Ok and not sure if I know anyone else attending. I did MexTrek in October so I might know some of you (but not by your profile names....). I was the guy from Oklahoma on the CB500x at MexTrek

Anyway I am really looking forward to seeing Big Bend and meeting more TWT folks

John joyce
Plainfast
2013 CB500X
You'll find out we're very welcoming. I didn't know anyone when I first got on this forum and now some wish they didn't know me!

Find out where the Starlight Theater is and you'll meet a lot of us. No one here judges (unless you ride a KTM).

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Its been awhile since this gringo has been to BB, and a long time since riding there. In!

I will arrange the nuts and bolts stuff (payment etc)towards the end of the month. Thanks Richard!
:ponder:

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Is there a source to rent a bike in the Terlingua area?
I have a friend that may be interested in coming from overseas.

Last edited:
Is there a source to rent a bike in the Terlingua area?
I have a friend that may be interested in coming from overseas.
I don't think so. For several years there was a guy who came out in the winter and rented bikes but he stopped doing that a few years ago. Since then I don't know of any rentals in the Big Bend region.

I'll drop by, we were the couple that stayed in the trailer at your place last New Years as we were coming up out of Mexico. Olivia won't be there as she has a job. I'll be visiting a bit with Jay too.

I'll drop by, we were the couple that stayed in the trailer at your place last New Years as we were coming up out of Mexico. Olivia won't be there as she has a job. I'll be visiting a bit with Jay too.
Sounds good. Jay is staying at Study Butte RV now in the trailer we loaned him.

Robert

And my wife and I will be here also. Oh wait, we live here now! Hope you are coming out Friday night to our place. Robert
Just curious. Are you the one and the same Robert that sold me a MG Norge several years ago in your Austin store? I flew in from Afghanistan to ride home to Illinois. You called another guy from my home area whom I later became friends with. I am in Texas now and thinking about trying to make this trip.

Just curious. Are you the one and the same Robert that sold me a MG Norge several years ago in your Austin store? I flew in from Afghanistan to ride home to Illinois. You called another guy from my home area whom I later became friends with. I am in Texas now and thinking about trying to make this trip.
Yes, that's me. Paul Vinnedge was my friend in Peoria. He was down here last year and we got together. And I remember you but not your name. Old age I guess. Sure hope you can make it. Our camper is still open at this time if you need a place to stay. PM me and I can give you my contact info.
Robert

Yes, that's me. Paul Vinnedge was my friend in Peoria. He was down here last year and we got together. And I remember you but not your name. Old age I guess. Sure hope you can make it. Our camper is still open at this time if you need a place to stay. PM me and I can give you my contact info.
Robert
PM will be sent. Funny how it is. Little things like this brighten an old soldier's day. Thank you sir.

PM will be sent. Funny how it is. Little things like this brighten an old soldier's day. Thank you sir.
PM sent. And I think you are younger than I am. Got a dirt bike to bring down? If not, maybe we could loan you a TW200 or something.

And my wife and I will be here also. Oh wait, we live here now! Hope you are coming out Friday night to our place. Robert
Yes sir we will!

As a side note, TCSO has gone back to brand new BMW's. They used Harleys for a few years but are just using those for the rodeo's now. I'm not on motors. I was briefly but broke my leg in 2014 on an ST1300 with them. I went back to regular patrol with 4 wheels, AC in the summer and heat in the winter.

I'll be good to see you again, it's been a long minute.

I'm in, registered and paid. Looking forward to some great riding, it has been too long! Planning on camping at Lost Gringo RV park.

We'll have a group of 15 or so guys at Lost Gringo. Its nice, quiet, and usually just a handfull of rv lanes are taken. Also, Tim is our buddy, owns the speed shop at the back of the little valley the rv park is in. 5 or 7 miles to study butte, 1/3 mile to Starlight, front porch, or El Dorado.

Last edited:
Anyone else planning on camping in BBNP? Looks like Rattlesnake Mountain Campsite is the best bet (15 min from ride HQ) with Croton Springs as a backup (20 min) I'll probably end up with the truck/bbq at one of those, let me know if anyone wants to share a site!

Attachments

Anyone else planning on camping in BBNP? Looks like Rattlesnake Mountain Campsite is the best bet (15 min from ride HQ) with Croton Springs as a backup (20 min) I'll probably end up with the truck/bbq at one of those, let me know if anyone wants to share a site!
I was planning on camping in the BBNP, but due to the issues with the government shutdown, and also I need electricity for my CPAP device, I decided to camp at Study Butte.

JT

Forum Supporter
I was planning on camping in the BBNP, but due to the issues with the government shutdown, and also I need electricity for my CPAP device, I decided to camp at Study Butte.
For this rally, I think staying in the Study Butte area makes more sense. But, if you choose to stay in the park, I doubt the shutdown will still be a factor.

JMZ

I have my CPAP rigged up for 12volt use in case of emergencies or to take camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have my CPAP rigged up for 12volt use in case of emergencies or to take camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I can do 2 nights with my battery set up, I am going to be out on the road for 5-6 nights total. And the other thing is the only showers in the BBNP are over at the very east end of the park at Rio Grand Village.