• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend & Lone Star Reunion Feb 28 - Mar 3, 2019

Ocho

Forum Supporter
First Name
Jorge
Anyone trailering from Austin with an extra spot? Willing to split gas and maybe throw an extra for the help.

Worst case, anyone else riding from Austin?

First Name
Keith
Signed up and got my room today. FYI Big Bend Resort & Adventures still has rooms.

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
First Name
Brian
Y
Don't hold your breath. Get a Beta, KTM or Husky and be done with it.
Yeah, the 701 is said to have smooth single. They have made improvements to the 690 this year too. I'm just hung up on the idea of a twin

Ocho

Forum Supporter
First Name
Jorge
Anyone else planning on camping in BBNP? Looks like Rattlesnake Mountain Campsite is the best bet (15 min from ride HQ) with Croton Springs as a backup (20 min) I'll probably end up with the truck/bbq at one of those, let me know if anyone wants to share a site!
I’m looking for a camping spot. Let me know if you are still interested.

Or anyone else for that matter. Who has a camping ground? It’ll just be me.

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Sands
We did it from Marfa last year, with no gates. This year I'm thinking of starting in Terlingua, cutting across BBRSP, then around on Pinto Canyon to Candelaria. Back on 170. Anybody who's in Terlingua Thursday morning is welcome to join.
I was planning to do a loop up thru that area. If I am around, I'll ride it with you. cell # is 903-422-1993 , just give me a text.

Update on Los Gringos RV park: Hermann and Tim are playing host to a very large crew involved with the construction of a new airport. Nearly 100% of the RV park is temporarily holding trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment. Chances are they will not have spots by the time of our rally. Sad news...

I am trailering from OKC. Can pick up passenger in Wichita Falls. Abilene etc. also haven’t made my camping arrangements — guess I need to carbs up on forum posts regarding campgrounds or lodging.

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Sands
Update on Los Gringos RV park: Hermann and Tim are playing host to a very large crew involved with the construction of a new airport. Nearly 100% of the RV park is temporarily holding trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment. Chances are they will not have spots by the time of our rally. Sad news...
I have secured a site at the Study Butte Rv park.

Ocho

Forum Supporter
First Name
Jorge
No, not for this year's event.

In past years we have had access to some private land in Terlingua for camping but that land is no longer available.

The closest camping is at the Big Bend Motor Inn & Resort in Study Butte. Other camping areas are available in the area.
I'm looking at the reservation site but it only shows RV Sites? Is that what I'm supposed to reserve if I'm looking for a tent campground?

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gibbens
I'm looking at the reservation site but it only shows RV Sites? Is that what I'm supposed to reserve if I'm looking for a tent campground?
They have a section just for tent camping. Since they reservation site doesn't show tent camping my suggestion is to the call them and ask how to reserve a tent spot.

I’m looking for a camping spot. Let me know if you are still interested.

Or anyone else for that matter. Who has a camping ground? It’ll just be me.
Ocho,

Did Loydinator ever reply? I noticed Rattlesnake Mtn camp spot as well. Im looking into making this trip but would like to find a camping spot as well. Thanks

If anyone can't find a camping spot give me a shout. My little sliver of Bee Mountain in the "barrio" can be camped on and showers can be had around town. Its not pretty, but its free. And 1 mile from ride HQ.

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Sands
We did it from Marfa last year, with no gates. This year I'm thinking of starting in Terlingua, cutting across BBRSP, then around on Pinto Canyon to Candelaria. Back on 170. Anybody who's in Terlingua Thursday morning is welcome to join.
I'm gonna be there and I'll be interested. I'll be rolling in on Wednesday. Silver R1150GSA with CMA and ADV stickers on the rear of panniers.

Ocho,

Did Loydinator ever reply? I noticed Rattlesnake Mtn camp spot as well. Im looking into making this trip but would like to find a camping spot as well. Thanks
hey guys sorry just saw this, lets all post up at rattlesnake mountain site! Ive got a fold up fire pit

hey guys sorry just saw this, lets all post up at rattlesnake mountain site! Ive got a fold up fire pit
Rattlesnake mountain site is not a reliable option. I just called the national park and we could only find out if its available when we arrive which would be risky. Think we should explore the other options in or near Terlingua.

misterk

Forum Supporter
I will show up on Friday afternoon. You guys that are camping...when you find a camp site, I would appreciate it if you would leave a little 8x10 foot patch of ground for me and my motorcycle (Africa Twin). Of course I would be happy to split any fees!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Sands
Well if anyone finds any free camping or low price, please share . I'm going to be paying $20 a night at Study Butte RV. But since I'm a cheap b*st*rd......you know the drill.

misterk

Forum Supporter
I will be leaving Fort Worth area at 5am on that Friday. If you can ride farther than 120 miles at one shot, let me know.

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Krull
I have 47 acres about 5 miles north of the Motor Inn. (where the gas station is) Anybody is certainly welcome to camp there. Bathroom in my shop is available and we could probably arrange showers.
Robert

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Sands
I have 47 acres about 5 miles north of the Motor Inn. (where the gas station is) Anybody is certainly welcome to camp there. Bathroom in my shop is available and we could probably arrange showers.
Robert
I will certainly consider it. Free is better almost always.

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Krull
There have been more than a few TWTEX people stay here. Have a camper but it seems to be booked for the event. Workshop available. And we are having a cookout on Friday night.

For those still looking for a camp spot, I've done a bunch of searching. I found this pretty cool looking spot on the Hipcamp link posted previously. Its called Terlingua Ghost town Camping. Would welcome others to join me who haven't found a spot or want to change. Bathhouse, water, etc for $29/night . As of now, my plan is to arrive Thursday late afternoon.

https://www.hipcamp.com/texas/historic-old-town-terlingua/terlingua-ghost-town-camping

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
My first trip down there was last week.

The one thing that impressed me the most was just how friendly and out-going everyone was.
Very refreshing to see that kind of attitude again.

Ocho

Forum Supporter
First Name
Jorge
Robert
For those still looking for a camp spot, I've done a bunch of searching. I found this pretty cool looking spot on the Hipcamp link posted previously. Its called Terlingua Ghost town Camping. Would welcome others to join me who haven't found a spot or want to change. Bathhouse, water, etc for $29/night . As of now, my plan is to arrive Thursday late afternoon.

https://www.hipcamp.com/texas/historic-old-town-terlingua/terlingua-ghost-town-camping
Interested in both of these choices. If we can split that $29 between several, I'd be in. How far away is it from HQ?

Interested in both of these choices. If we can split that $29 between several, I'd be in. How far away is it from HQ?
The place I located is right in Terlingua. Literally down the block from the check in place High Sierra and 5 miles from the jump off Big Bend Motor Inn.

Your welcome to share my reserved spot but I better check to make sure it will accommodate two or more tents. Likely does, but I can check and get back with you

misterk

Forum Supporter
The place I located is right in Terlingua. Literally down the block from the check in place High Sierra and 5 miles from the jump off Big Bend Motor Inn.

Your welcome to share my reserved spot but I better check to make sure it will accommodate two or more tents. Likely does, but I can check and get back with you
See if it will hold 3 people. Also ask about how secure our stuff would be? Hate to come back to an empty camp

See if it will hold 3 people. Also ask about how secure our stuff would be? Hate to come back to an empty camp
This site is 2 adults, and can hold 2 back pack tents. I could ask for a larger site or you can reserve one next to site #3. If Loydinator replys that he is in, you could split the cost of that second site.

As for the bike, he said they aren't allowed at the camp sites but the parking lot is close and has had zero crime issues. Looks like the host may be located on site.

There have been more than a few TWTEX people stay here. Have a camper but it seems to be booked for the event. Workshop available. And we are having a cookout on Friday night.
Robert, would it be possible to camp at your property Thurs - Sun? I'll check if there's spots available on the west side of BBNP when I get in, but this would be a great backup if there isn't anything available. I'll have plenty of beer and charcoal :trust:

Ocho

Forum Supporter
First Name
Jorge
This site is 2 adults, and can hold 2 back pack tents. I could ask for a larger site or you can reserve one next to site #3. If Loydinator replys that he is in, you could split the cost of that second site.

As for the bike, he said they aren't allowed at the camp sites but the parking lot is close and has had zero crime issues. Looks like the host may be located on site.
Is a 3 person backpacking tent small enough? Only one I have.

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Krull
Robert, would it be possible to camp at your property Thurs - Sun? I'll check if there's spots available on the west side of BBNP when I get in, but this would be a great backup if there isn't anything available. I'll have plenty of beer and charcoal :trust:
Sure. We have the room. Only 5 miles north of the Motor Inn. I don't have them handy but Woodbutcher has the GPS coordinates. Robert

Ocho

Forum Supporter
First Name
Jorge

Unfortunately I won’t be able to go, my plans changed and I won’t have a car available to trailer my bike. Thanks for the help.