• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend & Lone Star Reunion Feb 28 - Mar 3, 2019

Well I am out, a family event popped up that weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll have my passport card but from the videos I saw you cross on a little boat in the middle of nowhere. It didn't look like a legitimate crossing. Border patrol manages that area?

The crossing is very legitimate. There is a Border Patrol station just before you get to Rio Grande Village. https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/border_travel.htm

Here’s a write up on the crossing and the town:

Just registered. All signs are a go after a hard couple months of work. I'll arrive Monday to do some closed canyon hiking, hot springing, and Terlingua exploring. Anyone there on the early side hit me up via PM or Mextrekadv atch gmail dot comm

I'll have my passport card but from the videos I saw you cross on a little boat in the middle of nowhere. It didn't look like a legitimate crossing. Border patrol manages that area?
There is a building you go thru before going down to the river, and yes, that is the way you cross at this crossing. On the MX side they have horses and burros you can ride, or ride in a pickup, or walk about 1/2 mile.

Well, after a head gasket/valve/rings on the DRZ (ouch) and scoring a highly qualified new employee (tough in the Austin restaurant market right now), it looks like I'm back in the mix. I'll be arriving wednesday night with another rider, so we'll be looking for a ride on Thursday. Shadman, if you want some company, just tell us where to meet you.

Well, after a head gasket/valve/rings on the DRZ (ouch) and scoring a highly qualified new employee (tough in the Austin restaurant market right now), it looks like I'm back in the mix. I'll be arriving wednesday night with another rider, so we'll be looking for a ride on Thursday. Shadman, if you want some company, just tell us where to meet you.

Glad you are going to make it Mike. I'll be there sometime Wednesday. Probably be at the Chili Pepper Cafe for breakfast Thursday and see what shakes out.

Glad you are going to make it Mike. I'll be there sometime Wednesday. Probably be at the Chili Pepper Cafe for breakfast Thursday and see what shakes out.

Me and Lynn will see you there.

Shadman, if you want some company, just tell us where to meet you.

Every day in Big Bend, for me, starts at the amazing cafe Posado Milagro in the ghost town. And being a terlingua ranch property owner I love the ride up south / north county and related area. Save my number, text me wednesday evening, 281 772 uno dos uno uno.

Packing notes: Terlingua is remote. Terlingua is desert. Terlingua is rock. Terlingua is on the Mexico (FUN) side of the border wall, lol.

Firewood: If you have access, and payload capacity, bring a big honking stack of firewood with you. Use what you may, give the rest to uncle Roger, or Tim, or Ed, or Robert and Carla, or Kosmic Kathy, or some random dude living in a tent this winter.

Truck Tires: Truck tires in good shape are desirable too. Got a set cluttering your shed or garage? Make a local happy. 2nd hand tires are non-existent.

Small gifts like wood and tires mean a lot to the community. And it shows we care about more than just kicking up dust and making a ruckus.

Camelback: There is never enough water in the desert. Ever.

Swimsuit: It's cold. But the hot springs are hot and amazing.

Tubes / Pump / Tools: Should be a no brainer. Even for you tubeless boys who end up needing a tube every single trip. Cactus and rocks are pointy.

Booze / Medical / other: Just kidding, they got booze. First aid kits are nice. But, with a border crossing on every way out of town you'll absolutely have to give away whatever you don't inhale for medical purposes.

Baofeng radio, charged: 15 miles open range is 15 miles less walkin, son. Best $27 you'll ever spend. Tow strap is almost as handy.

Passport: Because Mexico. Who knows...

Park pass: Do you have an annual one you'll otherwise forget?

GPS offline maps: A gps with offline area maps downloaded doesn't need signal to get you home safe. Google Maps>my places>offline maps>select area>save>>done.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Oh, and of course, if you are attending and do not have your own personal copy of Richard's amazing Big Bend guidebook for motorcyclists you should really rethink this strategy and buy one. For $25 you support TARA and you will speak the same trail language as the rest of this big dumb family.

And while you are at it, a nice donation to TWTEX and Scott Friday for keeping us cats organized online is always welcome. A full website migration to stay current deserves reward!

Considering the $10,000 or $20,000 (or $50,000 not naming names) you spent on this sport in the last 5 years, isn't $50 or so just a drop in the bucket? And it goes to the guys that make a real impact in your decisions to continue to adventure forward and boldly. Be generous. Show some love.

Are most people planning to cross into Mexico? What would be the best way to prepare for that as far as documents, insurance and all that goes?

Are most people planning to cross into Mexico? What would be the best way to prepare for that as far as documents, insurance and all that goes?

Most do not cross, but maybe 1/3 do and have a nice time doing so. I highly encourage the first of two options as a way to get comfortable with crossing into Mexico. the 2nd is a full on crossing, but no permits or visas required. Here's the scoop:

A. Boquillas Crossing: You can cross from the far east side of the National Park (BBNP), aka Rio Grande Village (Google it). It is a long off-road (River Road - 2 to 6 hours) or 1 hour on-road ride from Study Butte (ride HQ). You get to the far east side of the park and there is a turn off just after the tunnel. A small border station allows you to cross on foot (or in flat bottom mexican boat). Lunch is to be had for $5, horse or burro rides to get 1/2 mile to town $5. Boat crossing $5. All supporting the people who need our support in Boquillas. Parking at the border office is secure and monitored. You can tie in Boquillas with an afternoon visit to the hot springs just west of Rio Grand Village to soak off some tequila. I will be doing this via River Road on Friday if you want to join in.

B. Presidio / Ojinaga Crossing: 1.5 hours west of Study Butte on the spectacular highway 170 West. You cross at a motor vehicle crossing in Presidio. Across the border is a happening little Mexican city of OJ with a cute square with pretty fine dining available. Typical Mexican shopping, ice cream on the square, people watching (or watching you), just be sure to cross before sunset to be safe. From OJ you can go to....

1. Pequis: 30 miles or so south of OJ is the Pequis Canyon, a nice ride into the low mountains with a spectacular canyon view.

2. Overlook: Or take a very long day with an experienced adventurer and ride east back along the Rio Grande 75 miles and you can eventually make your way to an overlook across from the National Park. Best views I've been told, but a serious commitment to make the trip in a day without getting lost.

For the rides out of Presidio / Ojinaga you do not need special permits or visas because you are within the 20 KM controlled zone within which no permits are required, but theoretically Mexican liability insurance is required, But you just need a passport to get back into the US and proof of registration to keep the very infrequently encountered Mexican Policia happy. Check the Mextrek planning threads for advice on providers if you think you must have liability insurance for a day trip. And never take anything to Mexico that you'll cry about if / when you walk the long walk home without it.

Last edited:
Pequis ride...not me, lol

Before ya'll flame his riding style, he sorta knows his way around a mountain road, jaja

1st place, 100th running of PPIHC, middleweight class. MV Agusta Brutale 800.

Last edited:
Bummer!!
Curtis and I were looking forward to seeing you again, Kevin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have enjoyed seeing you and Curtis also, let’s meet for a camp out this spring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every day in Big Bend, for me, starts at the amazing cafe Posado Milagro in the ghost town. And being a terlingua ranch property owner I love the ride up south / north county and related area. Save my number, text me wednesday evening, 281 772 uno dos uno uno.
I'm meeting JT for breakfast on Thursday at Chili Pepper Cafe. I'd love to check out some of the more remote sections of the ranch. I'll text/call you Thursday morning.

Great information Shadman! Thanks for sharing

Although this is not my first time to Big Bend, it is my first time to join this group event. I'm coming solo and dont know anyone. Plan is to join the "newbie" ride on Friday. Anyone else planning on that doing that group ride and can a ride leader give a sneak preview of the planned route?

I'd love to check out some of the more remote sections of the ranch. I'll text/call you Thursday morning.

A few weeks ago, Dahveed and I rode Cedar Springs (?) ranch roads and witnessed some fabulous vistas.
It was 5 or 6 miles north of Study Butte and then east ... seemingly forever.

I'm old and slow, so be easy on me ...

Last edited:
Great information Shadman! Thanks for sharing

Although this is not my first time to Big Bend, it is my first time to join this group event. I'm coming solo and dont know anyone. Plan is to join the "newbie" ride on Friday. Anyone else planning on that doing that group ride and can a ride leader give a sneak preview of the planned route?
I'll be leading a small group on Old Maverick and River Road Friday, with some optional routes at the end of the day. Feel free to join us.

Oh, well, you're 1/4 mile from my campsite so I'll join you guys at chili pepper!
About what time are we thinking of getting together? I'm trying to schedule a time to meet up with our AirBnB hosts out on that end of town.

A. Boquillas Crossing: You can cross from the far east side of the National Park (BBNP), aka Rio Grande Village (Google it). It is a long off-road (River Road - 2 to 6 hours) or 1 hour on-road ride from Study Butte (ride HQ). You get to the far east side of the park and there is a turn off just after the tunnel. A small border station allows you to cross on foot (or in flat bottom mexican boat). Lunch is to be had for $5, horse or burro rides to get 1/2 mile to town $5. Boat crossing $5. All supporting the people who need our support in Boquillas. Parking at the border office is secure and monitored. You can tie in Boquillas with an afternoon visit to the hot springs just west of Rio Grand Village to soak off some tequila. I will be doing this via River Road on Friday if you want to join in.

What is the distance to the next available gas, if I take RR to Boquillas?

Back