• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend & Lone Star Reunion Feb 28 - Mar 3, 2019

Unfortunately Pocket Earth doesn't have an Android version yet.

Also, are the phone screens bright enough to be seen in bright sunlight? And are there still overheating issues like there were when I tried this in the past?

Peter, even on Google maps don't you have a track you save and/or can share? I believe those can be converted to gpx files with the gpsvisualizer online tool. I'm more curious than anything. I already have some tracks but they're random and I know you've done this gig a bunch of times.

On occasion you have a over heat problem. But Swapped for a ram mount where it’s an open mount and have not had a problem scene. I don’t have any more trouble seeing my phone screen then any gps I’ve used. I wish the Pocket Earth had a android app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'll get it loaded.

Do you think this would be a pretty good day ride? Or is it too long or too short?

Thanks JT

Ha! Everyone should do it at least once! I have seen it finished it about 5 hours, and I seen seen it take 10. I rode sweep on this route 3 years. You will not find many tracks in Texas that are 209miles and over 90% dirt. Gas at Rio Grand Village is very close to halfway. Run it counter clockwise, you may decide to hop on 118 and skip the west
Terlingua Ranch section if you have delays before that point. Also it will be easier for us to come get you if break down late in the day.

Sounds awesome! Will definitely take running it in a day into consideration.

I'm thinking I'm going to need a lot of whiskey therapy when I get back to camp though!

Thank you! I imported it to Furkot but cant figure out how to see whether or not this is all pavement or offroad... any info on that?

It is neither. It is all unpaved roads. There is no offroad riding available in the area, only unpaved roads. If you are riding off the mapped roads, you are trespassing either on private property or State or National Park property.

As far as I know, there is no way to tell which roads are paved and which are unpaved by looking at the common maps available to gps's and computers. If you access satellite images of the roads you may be able to distinguish which roads are paved.

Just heard back from my crew. We'll be doing the Desert Challenge route clockwise on Saturday. All are welcome.

Unfortunately Pocket Earth doesn't have an Android version yet.

Also, are the phone screens bright enough to be seen in bright sunlight? And are there still overheating issues like there were when I tried this in the past?

Peter, even on Google maps don't you have a track you save and/or can share? I believe those can be converted to gpx files with the gpsvisualizer online tool. I'm more curious than anything. I already have some tracks but they're random and I know you've done this gig a bunch of times.

My phone works fine in all light conditions. I just turn it on airplane mode when riding to save battery and not try to spend all its power searching for a non-existant signal. Will go 24 hours or so in airplane mode.

You can only share a map from a PC, not on your phone, so I had to switch platforms and remap. Here is is!!! https://goo.gl/maps/Rft6268raEE2

Stops:

Start: Gas a BBR&A
Santa Elena Canyon Overlook (nice hike into canyon takes 20 mins)
Castolon Visitor Center for a snack and trail conditions from a ranger
Mariscal Mine - 2 miles after turn off for Black Gap. If you want a challenge take Black Gap, right on Glen Springs, left on River Road. But walk up to the mine if you are good on time.
Boquillas for Lunch

Return Trip:
Hot springs for a hot soak and cold Rio Grande River swim
Concrete to BBR&A

Last edited:
Just heard back from my crew. We'll be doing the Desert Challenge route clockwise on Saturday. All are welcome.

Clockwise you are doing all easy boring stuff in the AM, then pushing the hard stuff laterer in the day when you are dehydrated, tired, sore. As JT said, counter clockwise makes more sense unless there is a real reason to do it opposite. And I'd agree just ride to the end of Old Ore and then take the easy concrete back. Feb is still pretty short days in the desert.

My phone works fine in all light conditions. I just turn it on airplane mode when riding to save battery and not try to spend all its power searching for a non-existant signal. Will go 24 hours or so in airplane mode.

You can only share a map from a PC, not on your phone, so I had to switch platforms and remap. Here is is!!! https://goo.gl/maps/Rft6268raEE2

Stops:

Mariscal Mine - 2 miles after turn off for Black Gap. If you want a challenge take Black Gap, right on Glen Springs, left on River Road. But walk up to the mine if you are good on time.
Boquillas for Lunch

Return Trip:
Concrete to BBR&A

About how long a day will this make?

Stops:

Boquillas for Lunch

Return Trip:
Concrete to BBR&A

Thanks. I’ve never thought about putting it on airplane mode. I bet that keeps it from getting as hot also.

About how long a day will this make?

If you do everything, River Road, Santa Elena Canyon, Mariscal Mine, Boquillas Crossing, Hot Springs, and Old Ore its a solid 8 to 12 hour day depending on ability. But you can always opt out of any part of it except the commitment to complete or turn back once on River Road. Once you are on concrete on the far side of the park it is a nice easy breezy and scenic 50 to 60 minute 50 mph ride back to Study Butte. I've done this return more than once after sunset, actually usually always after sunset. As with any 150 mile trip through the desert just get on the road early, watch your gas and water, don't take wrong turns without noticing for 20 miles, keep playtime at the mine, springs, lunch, and river reasonable. I've failed at all of these, at least half of them every trip.

Note: a 12 hour day means an average speed of 12 mph. 15 - 20 mph average is more reasonable on dirt, 45 on concrete, so if half and half then 5 hrs dirt, and 1.5 hrs on concrete.

If you do everything, River Road, Santa Elena Canyon, Mariscal Mine, Boquillas Crossing, Hot Springs, and Old Ore its a solid 8 to 12 hour day depending on ability. But you can always opt out of any part of it except the commitment to complete or turn back once on River Road. Once you are on concrete on the far side of the park it is a nice easy breezy and scenic 50 to 60 minute 50 mph ride back to Study Butte. I've done this return more than once after sunset, actually usually always after sunset. As with any 150 mile trip through the desert just get on the road early, watch your gas and water, don't take wrong turns without noticing for 20 miles, keep playtime at the mine, springs, lunch, and river reasonable. I've failed at all of these, at least half of them every trip.

Note: a 12 hour day means an average speed of 12 mph. 15 - 20 mph average is more reasonable on dirt, 45 on concrete, so if half and half then 5 hrs dirt, and 1.5 hrs on concrete.

I was just concerned about my endurance as I'm just about 4 months out from having 4 bypasses with a heart valve (chest cracked open). I don't want to overdo it and have to get someone to get me out from there. Last long ride for me was 5 hours and I was spent for the next day too. But I'm stronger now, just not back to 100%. I do better than average most of the time.

I was just concerned about my endurance as I'm just about 4 months out from having 4 bypasses with a heart valve (chest cracked open). I don't want to overdo it and have to get someone to get me out from there. Last long ride for me was 5 hours and I was spent for the next day too. But I'm stronger now, just not back to 100%. I do better than average most of the time.

Once you finish RR its just sitting on a seat watching cool stuff go by. You're the best judge. Be safe and have fun!

How many miles is it from old maverick thru the ranch by Ed's place back to Terlingua ?

From 118 and Terlingua Ranch Rd down to N. County, across Hen Egg, down Hermans Peak to Salt Grass and out S. County to 170 is 32 miles. It is also 32 miles from 118 and Terlingua Ranch rd across Old Marathon rd to 385, Main Park Rd. So 64 Miles from 385 to 170 past Ed's place.

Thanks, JT... so, to ride the river road to rgv then old ore would be a decent day then ride the loop you just described from 385 thru the ranch by Ed's and back. That should take up two days of fun riding. At least consider both rides.

Texas Rider-

I'm joining Gourdhead on that river road to RGV route on Friday and Im not sure it would include Ore Road. Maybe he can elaborate. Thats a long haul.

For Saturday, I'd like to do a separate Ore Road trip along with a twisty ride to the top of the Chisos Mountain Village, then back to Terlingua. Think about that for a Saturday option and we can discuss later this week when we get there.

For the drive down to Terlingua I'm playing with the idea of coming through Marathon on 385 and then cutting over to 118 on Terlingua Ranch Road. This would be more for fun than just commuting. I'd be in a 4x4 truck with 2 bikes in the back. Looks to add an hour to the drive.

Would this be a decent unpaved road to drive on? Or is this just being stupid?

Heads up all. Just got this from somebody that arrived today.

"Bring plenty of water. Terlingua is having water system problems and water has to be boiled for drinking."

I'm planning to arrive early sometime on Tuesday so will post a status update then.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Will using the gpx viewer be sufficient for navigation or should this be uploaded to my zumo 665 ? I am new to using a phone with mapping software.

Heads up all. Just got this from somebody that arrived today.

"Bring plenty of water. Terlingua is having water system problems and water has to be boiled for drinking."

I'm planning to arrive early sometime on Tuesday so will post a status update then.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up! Are there supermarkets around there to stock up on water?

Thanks for the heads up! Are there supermarkets around there to stock up on water?

There are a couple of smaller stores. But I would bring it because everyone coming in and that live there will be buying it. May sell out or be sold out.

OK folks, time for my annual round up of stuff you should be aware of & stuff you should be bringing;

Part the First;

Bike Maintenance

That niggly electrical or fueling problem? That loose bracket or broken mount? I can personally guarantee that they will fail...halfway up Blackgap Road...during the hottest part of the day. Seriously, your bike will take a pounding out there and any issues will quickly become major problems. Fix them before you head out to Terlingua. And it goes without saying, if you don't have a bash plate BBNP will gift you a nice hole in your crankcase.

Tire Repair
You'll need to carry the tools & parts & the know-how to fix flats. Not just one flat either. Have a plan & a backup plan. I'm running a Tubliss system, nonetheless I travel with a tube as well. Here's my tire kit which includes an electric pump, mountain bike pump, tire irons & rim tool, hotel shampoo for lube, a patch kit and the tube. I carry an axle wrench in my tool kit, be sure you have one that fits back & front. Tape & cable-ties fit nicely in the pouch too.

Bike Repairs
Carry the tools you need to do basic repairs on your bike. The Husky comes with a decent set already & I add an Anti-Gravity battery starter pack which can also be used to charge phones, GPSs or the like. Make sure you have the correct fuses and I also carry an ignition switch eliminator for starting without the key. Use the tools you plan on bringing for maintenance at the house to make sure you really have what you need (and conversely you can lose the ones you don't).

As a side note, many of the newest BMWs & KTMs cannot be started (and don't get me started) without ignition power and the chipped key. I guess you just hope & pray the gods of binary code look favorably on you? Actually, I have a friend whose KTM key failed in Mexico, he waited 4 days at a dealer for KTM in Austria to "authorize" a new code to unlock the bike. It didn't and he finally had to truck the bike back to a US dealer!

Back