• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Room reserved. Getting there one day early. Up for a day ride in Mexico.

I'll only have limited days down there so I don't think I can invest more than one day to go over the border so Peguis Canyon sounds like a more doable plan.

While out in the Bend for this event you might want to make some informal connections with other riders who want to do the same ride to Copper Canyon in the future. I'd be happy to talk to you about what I think are the logistical essentials.

Richard has also dialed in some other cross border concepts and so has JT.

There's a gold mine of riding in Mexico opportunities in, around, and from the area. Use this ride as an opportunity to network.

Just realized this years Uncle's is exact dates as MMM. Had plans to get the SL125 I picked up from ed29 trail worthy and ride the Dos y Dos. Hmm...small bike fast or big bike fast? Guess it will come down to weather...east or west.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

While out in the Bend for this event you might want to make some informal connections with other riders who want to do the same ride to Copper Canyon in the future. I'd be happy to talk to you about what I think are the logistical essentials.

Richard has also dialed in some other cross border concepts and so has JT.

There's a gold mine of riding in Mexico opportunities in, around, and from the area. Use this ride as an opportunity to network.

I'll catch up to you in BB. Rode to Galeana with JT and enjoyed his deep knowledge of the area. Already planning my 3rd trip to Mexico in October (day ride across the border doesn't really count)

I just booked tent space at retrorents.com in terlingua, 5 miles from rally headquarters. If anyone needs tent space, they have room for 5 more people. It's a nice setup, and the owners are riders.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Also, my current plan is to drive to Terlingua after work on Wednesday night. If any other early arrivals want to plan a ride for Thursday, let me know.

I’m in. Room booked and registered.
This will be my first rally, though I have been to Big Bend a few times.
I’m looking forward to it.

I would also be interested in a day ride to Mexico.

Just realized this years Uncle's is exact dates as MMM. Had plans to get the SL125 I picked up from ed29 trail worthy and ride the Dos y Dos. Hmm...small bike fast or big bike fast? Guess it will come down to weather...east or west.

Don't see Dos Y Dos on the schedule this year.

Don't see Dos Y Dos on the schedule this year.
Didn't look just assumed. Can always make it happen with your own group though. However my decision just got easier as of Friday morning. I can't join either ride now due to family matters that week.

To any of you dirt daubers, I have a lot for sale (long time) under Bee Mountain. It has water and power available (close) but I've been told it is too small to put septic on it. I bought it for bike trips, and used it a few times, but I don't ride these days. It is right off 118, close to coffee and stores. Willing to take a loss just to get rid of the paper work. The place is OK, at tops, but kinda just a crash place for riding. Let me know thru PM, Uncle/Roger knows where it is if you want to take a look. Tell him Primos place, but don't bother him unless you are serious. I can guide you there via Google maps. Scott, sorry if I shouldn't put this here, just seemed like the perfect place.

Property has been sold.

Last edited:
Just a lot, 1/4 acre. Big enough for a mobile home, or travel trailer. I bought it for 7k, back when I thought I would use it more. ALL offers considered. I will start the bidding at 5k, and we can go down from there. :doh: I don't want to thread jump, so if anybody has questions, PM me or Email at txprimate@gmail.com.

Property has been sold.

Last edited:
We have booked a room at the place next to the gas station we meet at each morning. I have a work deadline that might cause me to scratch this, otherwise I am excited to finally get back out and ride the countryside with everyone.

Will be trailering from Austin.

I'm new to the adventure world. I am planning to attend the Around the Bend this year on the GS with my daughter and camp in a tent. Unless the weather is bad, we will plan to ride from Georgetown instead of trailering. Being a two up, we plan to stick to pavement and class 1 for safety reasons. Anyone heading out on Thursday morning from Austin area, please join us.

Just a lot, 1/4 acre. Big enough for a mobile home, or travel trailer. I bought it for 7k, back when I thought I would use it more. ALL offers considered. I will start the bidding at 5k, and we can go down from there. :doh: I don't want to thread jump, so if anybody has questions, PM me or Email at txprimate@gmail.com.

If anyone wants to camp at my new place in Study Butte hit me up. Thanks John!!!

I just booked tent space at retrorents.com in terlingua, 5 miles from rally headquarters. If anyone needs tent space, they have room for 5 more people. It's a nice setup, and the owners are riders.

Do they have showers? And what are their rates? I did not find info about camping with them.

Last edited:
Starting to do some planning for this trip. I'm thinking of doing a loop West of Presidio on Friday - heading out 170 along the Rio Grande and head back to 90 either along Pinto Canyon or further North on Chispa Rd. Then from Marfa (lunch and fuel) head hopefully through the back entrance to BBRSP - I'll get ahold of the rangers there to check what's open. If not then, go through Presidio and then the State Park main entrance and play around there until it's time to head back to Study Butte.

On Sat I think I'll do the Big Sandy Loop in the National Park. This is the route outline in Richards most excellent Big Bend Guild for Motorcyclists.

I welcome anyone that wants to join, but I think both of these rides are better suited for plated dirt bikes with good fuel range (read aftermarket tanks) or skilled KLR types.

I have not done the ride west of Presidio before and need to check that off my list. If there is time, I'd love to hit King Kong in the State Park on Friday. Been too long since I've ventured up that beast, and would be great to hit Godzilla and King Kong in one day. I've done the Big Sandy a few times, but always need my Big Bend NP fix.

Last edited:
The longest stretch looks to be the Presidio to Marfa stretch via Chispa road. That looks to be right around 150 miles. I don't think there is gas anywhere along the piece. I'd throw a cushion of 25 miles in there and say 175 miles. I know other folks have done this route, I have not, so if anyone has some wisdom please enlighten us.

Another option would be to hit Godzilla, then turn around back down Godzilla and run up to Marfa via Pinto Canyon road. That probably chops off at least half the route. I'm going to keep doing research, but really want to do a good piece of the roads out that way.

Starting to do some planning for this trip. I'm thinking of doing a loop West of Presidio on Friday - heading out 170 along the Rio Grande and head back to 90 either along Pinto Canyon or further North on Chispa Rd. Then from Marfa (lunch and fuel) head hopefully through the back entrance to BBRSP - I'll get ahold of the rangers there to check what's open.

I did this route the year before you and I went to the State Park. Just running back from Marfa to Study Butte through the north side of the park, without a single detour, was about 135 miles IIRC and seemed like quite a ride. We arrived in Study Butte on fumes, with the WRX using all of it's whopping 2.0 gal tank. If we had played a bit we'd be forced to backtrack to Presidio for gas to make Study Butte.

Google maps puts your loop at 8h 18m and 275 miles going up Pinto Canyon. 294 if you go to Presidio for gas on the way home. I'd guess John and I did it in ~7 hours of riding with highway speeds of 65 - 70 on the DRZ400SM and WR250X and double prudent speeds on dirt. So, in a nutshell, I don't see there being a lot of extra time to play in the northern end of the State Park. I really enjoyed the riding you and I did up there. Roads the rangers hadn't themselves driven in 2 or 3 years...probably the least trafficked place I've ever been.

https://goo.gl/maps/bzeJYpSAiJC2

P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back