• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of us heading out of Ft Worth area in a few hours and stopping in Killeen. Heading all back roads from Killeen to Ghost Town tomorrow at first light if anyone else going that direction. Ready to roll!

jqueen

Forum Supporter
Mark, Matt and I (Russell) arrive Wed late afternoon early evening. Coming in from Houston and San Antonio. Will set up camp somewhere. looking to ride Thursday. KTM - KLR - XR
What's your plan for Thursday? Myself and JQ1.0 are on a KLR and DR650 and will be at Chisos Mining Co. Hotel at around 5 PM today.

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Friday "Easy Paced Ride" Rendezvous Information

Since (I believe) breakfast is at the cafe at the Study Butte gas station we'll meet up at the pumps there at 8.30am, gassed & H2O'd up. I'll be on a white Husqvarna 501.

I plan to lead mostly from the rear so others with a GPS would be appreciated although it's hard to get very lost where we're going.

Who's fired up? :rider:

Last edited:

copb8

Forum Supporter
I see the High Sierra bar and grill next to the El Dorado hotel. No idea if it's any good or not. Not sure if the starlight theatre does food or not.

That's about the extent of my knowledge at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JcatDRZ

Forum Supporter
Friday "Easy Paced Ride" Rendezvous Information

Since (I believe) breakfast is at the cafe at the Study Butte gas station we'll meet up at the pumps there at 8.30am, gassed & H2O'd up. I'll be on a white Husqvarna 501.

I plan to lead mostly from the rear so others with a GPS would be appreciated although it's hard to get very lost where we're going.

Who's fired up? :rider:
I'll be there! Unfortunately, no GPS though...

medicjeff

Forum Supporter
I see the High Sierra bar and grill next to the El Dorado hotel. No idea if it's any good or not. Not sure if the starlight theatre does food or not.

That's about the extent of my knowledge at this point.

Starlight does really good food. Go up there early and have a few beers on the porch as the sun set paints the Chisos. Also, La Kiva does good food too, excellent pizzas.

I'm in the same boat. Headed down on Wednesday, staying at Rancho Topanga (old green Chevy truck, tenting). Looking for some not-crazy-fast riders to group up with for a good Thursday ride.

See jetdr21's message (below). I plan to be there.

Ok randypower and jetr21's I'll meet you guys at chili pepper place tomorrow morning 8-8:30am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randypower

Forum Supporter
Sunset at Rancho Topanga. It was nice to meet Mike and Dave from Dallas on the road and Fred here at the campground. I can't believe this day has *finally* arrived.

Last edited:
Just got here. Eating at high sierra. I need to find a place to sleep tonight. Where are all of you guys who planning on riding tomorrow gonna meet?

Meet at Chili Pepper in the morning about 8 and we'll figure it out.
It's across the street from the gas station in Study Butte next to the bank. .

copb8

Forum Supporter
Justin and James. We just had dinner but didn't trade numbers. Can one of you (I'm thinking Justin) text me at 214. Five 0 two. Oh five hundred so I have a number?

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
JT and I are planning to ride to Top Of The World in Terlingua Ranch tomorrow.

This ride takes 4-5 hours/ ~70 miles.

Anyone who wants to join us, be fueled up and ready to go at 8am, at the Starlight.

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Gina, Mary and I won't be there in the morning, but is this a possible two up ride we can do later in the day?

Ladies & Gents-

For those of you interested we made some rally decals specifically for the TARA Around the Bend Rally. We will bring them to the dinner tomorrow night if anyone would like one. Not that there will be any problem identifying other TARA riders but we figured riders may want some bragging merch. Easy to install and see through. See everyone out there!

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Just made it into the Hampton inn in alpine and I see several adventure bikes parked in the special motorcycle area, how cool is that. Anybody from our gang down there ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JcatDRZ

Forum Supporter
Just made it into the Hampton inn in alpine and I see several adventure bikes parked in the special motorcycle area, how cool is that. Anybody from our gang down there ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thats awesome. I just got into the hotel in Ozone. When will you be arriving in Terlingua?

masterblaster

Forum Supporter
Riding since 830 finished at 2030. Got pulled over coming out of the gas area after river road, seems the speed limit before the tunnel is 30, so he gave a verbal warning after running plates. Great day riding otherwise, met some great people here.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Final count not um--finalized but we served 93 dinners tonight and may have over 100 registered riders.
Was great meeting so many folks tonight. And putting faces with screen names.

Looking forward to some great riding tomorrow, hopefully in cooler temps!

Final count not um--finalized but we served 93 dinners tonight and may have over 100 registered riders.
Was great meeting so many folks tonight. And putting faces with screen names.

Looking forward to some great riding tomorrow, hopefully in cooler temps!
Good for you all. I'm trying to not be jealous.

copb8

Forum Supporter
What an amazing couple of days of riding. I caught Old Ore, River Rd, Black Gap amongst several others.

One thing I want to get in before heading home is the river road to Presidio and back. After that if I get back early enough I thought I cap it off with a ride someone mentioned like 'top of the world'? Apparently it's a quick ride with good views.

Can any one provide a gpx file for that ride? Or anything to point me in the right direction?

I'm heading to Ojinaga tomorrow to find the grave of the notorious drug lord Pablo Acosta who is reportedly buried just south of town - we will also be checking out the canyon near there - Peguis Canyon. If anyone wants to join me I'll be leaving from Lajitas (meet at the restaurant in the resort) at 9 AM - or arrive at 8 AM and join me for breakfast. Must have a passport.

If we are successful in finding the grave I plan on having a celabatory late lunch at Lobby's in Ojinaga - I hear it is pretty good.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter

Our patient Lead From Behind Leader. THANK YOU Phillip for a great day of riding. (Old Maverick Rd. Stop at Santa Elena canyon, River Rd to Glen Springs). ~125 miles for the day. All but 40 on "primitive road".

Status
Not open for further replies.