• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome info. One of those should work. I checked on those, and while the over priced tents are higher than Rancho Topanga, etc at least I can have more drinks at Starlight Theater and walk back...

Well I decided If I'm going to drive 1200 round trip to Big Bend I might as well add a day. I'm driving down 3/22 now so will have 3 full days of riding. Have to switch hotels Thursday morning but that's a small price to pay.

I'm hoping to ride the River Road on Thursday so if anyone else is planning to do it let's ride together. I'll be on a 690 with nobbies that i'm trying to preserve so I won't be carving any canyons, just want to see and enjoy the sites.

Then the next 2 days I want to do primarily dirt so looking for a group to hang with those days as well.

Getting close and I'm pretty excited now!

I am getting excited too, can't wait to try out the new Husky 501 in the dirt. I love my Africa Twin, but I miss the real dirt stuff, so this should be a blast. Lots to sort out on the bike to make it mine, but I will get it done in time I hope...

Well I decided If I'm going to drive 1200 round trip to Big Bend I might as well add a day. I'm driving down 3/22 now so will have 3 full days of riding. Have to switch hotels Thursday morning but that's a small price to pay.

I'm hoping to ride the River Road on Thursday so if anyone else is planning to do it let's ride together. I'll be on a 690 with nobbies that i'm trying to preserve so I won't be carving any canyons, just want to see and enjoy the sites.

Then the next 2 days I want to do primarily dirt so looking for a group to hang with those days as well.

Getting close and I'm pretty excited now!

Would like to tag along for the river road trip. I'll be on my DR650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone from the Austin area trailering or trucking down to BB on Thursday that has room for one more? My regular partner in crime for BB riding isn't able to get the days off work, I on the other hand do. I've not ruled out just driving out myself but would be nice to save a bit on gas money.

I'm still on the fence but I have a new to me 500 XCW that is just begging me to take her to BB.

Cheers... Jeff

I was planning on attending but now my daughter is coming to town from St Louis for her birthday the same week. I have been volunteered to drive her and her piano back to St Louis.
I have a reservation at the Lost Gringos RV Park for March 23rd-25th, It's $30/night plus taxes, grand total is $101.70. It is their standard RV spot and I believe it is right there in the middle of everything behind the High Sierra Bar & Grill. Anyone want it?

Having never been to Big Bend, are there any gps files of some known good trails in the various areas? I am thinking one day mild dual sport on the twin, one day hard core dirt with the Husky.

Registered!!!
Driving (yes, bike in the bed) out of Hockley, TX Showing up Wed. 22nd - tenting
will ride/explore Thurs.
Ride: KTM 1190R

Safe Journey Everyone

Philip, great set of tracks, thanks a bunch. Now if you would be so kind to mark the hazards :)

Philip, great set of tracks, thanks a bunch. Now if you would be so kind to mark the hazards :)

Really my 1st advice is to watch the blind rises, you'd be surprised what vehicular or navigational challenges might be approaching unseen.

Number 2; wear some upper body armor at minimum. 2 expensive and painful offs I've witnessed would have been laughed off had the victims been wearing some protection. Legs & arms can be set but damage to internal organs is no joke and Big Bend has lots of very sharp rocks laying in wait for you.

As for hazards; Black Gap Road is the only real one & even then is mostly fine with just a couple of challenging sections (the "Step"). There's some sandy sections on the River Road but a little duck walking will get all through safely.

^Some sound advice right there.^ Registered, paid, excited. I'll be hauling my plated XR400 out for this. I've seen some of BBNP via 4x4, can't wait to see more of the area!

Just plotted my drive down there. Going to stay off the interstates as much as possible but without adding too much time to an already long haul.

I think I'm going to loop over to Marfa on my way down for lunch and to just see the place. Food Shark seems to be a popular choice. Anything else to look at while I'm there? I'll only want to spend an hour two looking around before heading on to Terlinqua.

BTW Philip, which bike are you bringing?

I think I'm going to loop over to Marfa on my way down for lunch and to just see the place. Food Shark seems to be a popular choice. Anything else to look at while I'm there? I'll only want to spend an hour two looking around before heading on to Terlinqua.

BTW Philip, which bike are you bringing?

The Squeeze Cafe is really good - http://www.squeezemarfa.com/

I'm taking the XR400, I thought about also bringing the 300EXC but I doubt I'll have it street legal by then.

What sort of fuel range does one need out in the BB area? Also, bikes must be plated to ride around the parks since they are public roads correct?

Yes - strict on the plates. You will be stopped without them.

There's fuel at Study Butte and once you get into the park they have pumps at Panther Junction and Rio Grand Village so technically you can plan a route that needs no more than about 125 miles in range provided you're careful on the routing.

My stock XR400 tank is 2.5 gallons and the 1st year I did Uncle's (counter-clockwise) I gassed at Rio Grande and was nearly on fumes by the time I hit 118 and I had to bail back to Study Butte for gas. Now I have the Exxon Valdez bolted to my frame this isn't a problem anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back