• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend with a KTM200 2 stroke wondering about this trip. Would not be the ideal bike but is it workable for this ride? Plated.

I have a friend with a KTM200 2 stroke wondering about this trip. Would not be the ideal bike but is it workable for this ride? Plated.

I took my KDX220 in 2015 and had a blast. Vinny and I trailered to the east side of the NP and rode RR, Glenn Springs, Black Gap and back to RR. You can leave a truck/trailer in just about any parking lot in the park to avoid the long pavement sections.

I may have the 300 tagged in time. :-)

Last edited:
I took my KDX220 in 2015 and had a blast. Vinny and I trailered to the east side of the NP and rode RR, Glenn Springs, Black Gap and back to RR. You can leave a truck/trailer in just about any parking lot in the park to avoid the long pavement sections.

I may have the 300 tagged in time. :-)
Tagging a 300 is easy, if you have any questions holler.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Well the good thing is I got my bike fixed. The bad is I won't know my work schedule until mid march. I'm gonna pray to the motorcycle gods. :rider:

Well the good thing is I got my bike fixed. The bad is I won't know my work schedule until mid march. I'm gonna pray to the motorcycle gods. :rider:

I'm afraid to ask how much it cost. As for the work, it will be there when you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid to ask how much it cost. As for the work, it will be there when you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One very nice guy who I met on advrider from Houston, gave me a used engine for free. It was missing a flywheel, and had some parts scratched because that bike was crashed. So the guys at the dealship swapped good parts from mine, up a couple new gaskets and swapped the engines.
Total for opening it up, diagnose, and all this work in the end was 1200$.

And if I didn't work for myself, and had wife and baby to provide for, work would easily be escaped for that period. But unfortunately since November it has been very slow, so I can not afford to pass on any job that comes by.

Getting very stoked for this trip. Hopefully I can figure out why my DRZ isn't making spark tonight..

Peter I'll be there late Wednesday night, and ready for adventure Thursday morning!

Just 5 weeks to go, better get ready!

I can't believe 6 years have passed since I've been on this ride. Had a car wreck a few months after the 11 Around the Bend and 3 spinal surgeries and a shoulder surgery later I wanna ride. Sold my XR after the wreck need to replace it fast so I can come play.

If anyone has a reservation at Hotel Milagro that they can't use, I will take it.

On another note - Triumph Tiger 800 XCX or Suzuki DRZ400?

If anyone is planning a ride on Pinto Canyon Road, I am in.

Looking forward to this, it will be my first time out there on the dirt!

On another note - Triumph Tiger 800 XCX or Suzuki DRZ400?

If anyone is planning a ride on Pinto Canyon Road, I am in.

Looking forward to this, it will be my first time out there on the dirt!

DRZ400 - no question.

I'm planning on leading a no stress ride.

Also thinking of doing Pinto Canyon (maybe on Sunday).

Does anyone know anything about the Rancho Topango Campgrounds?

Yep, I've camped there and am doing so this trip. Nice - general campground set up with hot water showers and restrooms. Nice fire ring area.

Yep, I've camped there and am doing so this trip. Nice - general campground set up with hot water showers and restrooms. Nice fire ring area.

I took off to go this year, but I've never camped off a bike and I don't even have everything, All I have is a bike and a tent. Still don't have bags or anything to carry anything with. Thought about trailering the bike this year. That way I can take what ever I think I may need and if something happens and I mess up the bike I can get it home.

The other thing I'm worried about is tires. I don't know how the stock tires will be off road. Guess I wont know until I take it off road. Maybe tomorrow.

Guess I need to get a hitch on the car.

I took off to go this year, but I've never camped off a bike and I don't even have everything, All I have is a bike and a tent. Still don't have bags or anything to carry anything with. Thought about trailering the bike this year. That way I can take what ever I think I may need and if something happens and I mess up the bike I can get it home.

The other thing I'm worried about is tires. I don't know how the stock tires will be off road. Guess I wont know until I take it off road. Maybe tomorrow.

Guess I need to get a hitch on the car.

I can tell you from experience with the stock tires, they are not good off road!! I assume they are the Dunlop Trail Wings? (aka: Death Wings). On my 2013 DR650, I logged maybe 500 miles on them before I took them off!
I have never been to BB but I have been to Colorado and the D606's worked very well. I am going to try the Kenda's K270's for BB, people on here recommend them.
thats my 2 cents......

Hi friends. I am hereby verbally committing myself to this event. I was on the fence mostly hoping to bring my son along. That didn't work out, but I want to get over to BB for my first time anyway and get in on the fun.

I expect I'll be trucking my XT250 and enjoying a tent at Rancho Topanga if they still have the space. Would prefer a hotel for my bum back, but such is the result of procrastinating.

Richard, I'll send in the registration $$ very soon.

philipbarrett, I'd like to join your "leisurely" group if that's OK.

Last edited:
Did you call the places directly? I have always had better luck. Big Bend Lodge at the gas station in Study Butte`s #432-371-2218 thats the front desk..

Did you call the places directly? I have always had better luck. Big Bend Lodge at the gas station in Study Butte`s #432-371-2218 thats the front desk..
Thanks. I'm still awaiting a callback from Study Butte, but there are options. Chisos Mining Co. has one big room left for $129/night (sleeps 4 with one king size and a futon) and Retro Rents has several options from $85 to $120-something.

I want to support these businesses, but I'm also trying to go on a smaller budget.

I can tell you from experience with the stock tires, they are not good off road!! I assume they are the Dunlop Trail Wings? (aka: Death Wings). On my 2013 DR650, I logged maybe 500 miles on them before I took them off!
I have never been to BB but I have been to Colorado and the D606's worked very well. I am going to try the Kenda's K270's for BB, people on here recommend them.
thats my 2 cents......

Your comment reminded me to change my info. I sold the DR a while bike. The new bike is an Africa Twin. Different tires on this one. But they are still more street than dirt for sure.

I was just pondering what to run for this trip on my AT. I could put some TCK80's again like Durango, or the Heidenau K60 I have in stock already. Right now it has the Pirelli MT90's on it, but I think those are still too street for this ride.

I plan to ride over with my toy hauler, the camp area is across the street from the hotel? We just pull in and set up? Sorry for the basic questions I will be getting there Tuesday night and riding all day Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back