• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need to ask then Phillip is correct, no question DRZ.

But personally I would prefer the Triumph and ride out there and back instead of hauling. Pinto Canyon is a great road for the Tiger and you'll have more fun going up there and back on FM170. If you are experienced, average riding skills on dirt and proper tires the Tiger will take you on any road in the NP.

_

Thanks for the guidance. I think I could make it on both, but I have stock tires on the Triumph still. I think I will wring out the DRZ, it will be fun.

Will plan to haul the DRZ starting early Thursday morning from Dallas.

Can't wait!

Thanks for the guidance. I think I could make it on both, but I have stock tires on the Triumph still. I think I will wring out the DRZ, it will be fun.

Will plan to haul the DRZ starting early Thursday morning from Dallas.

Can't wait!

SilverBullet prefers to ride his Tenere to the event and then ride the trails. Most of us prefer to trailer or ride the most suitable bike we have to the event and enjoy the best possible ride experience. I dont enjoy riding a 500lb+ bike off pavement. I'll be trailering my Honda XR650R and my KLX400R. I have ridden my KLX400R in BB many times, its a great bike for the area.

Ive riden a dr 650 in da bb state park n it could go nearly everywhere except some single tracks had to still b babied thru hence there r areas that only a klx 400 can go with ease
N also a klr 650 fully loaded nearly 500 or so lbs n it was a chore n not fun at all offroad, but good on all park paved roads

Last edited:
SilverBullet prefers to ride his Tenere to the event and then ride the trails. Most of us prefer to trailer or ride the most suitable bike we have to the event and enjoy the best possible ride experience. I dont enjoy riding a 500lb+ bike off pavement. I'll be trailering my Honda XR650R and my KLX400R. I have ridden my KLX400R in BB many times, its a great bike for the area.

That's why it's a personal choice, and like I said if he had to ask we already knew the correct bike for him.

Big bikes off road aren't for everyone but set up properly they are capable up to a degree. Some would even consider a 400 or 650 big and heavy bikes and be amazed you take them off road.

If trailering out then of course take the dual sport bike, no question. Hauling an adventure bike to Big Bend would be like trailering a street bike to Sturgis. But if riding out I would not consider the dual sport the most suitable/enjoyable bike considering the distance for most. Also I considered his request about Pinto Canyon Rd. That 275 mile route is over 90% pavement, FM170, US 90, Hwy 67 and/or Hwy 178 and the 25 miles of dirt are easy. Hands down I would say the bigger bike is more suitable (and more important, more fun) for that.

But no matter what you ride please stop and help when you see a 625 lb (I can only dream of 500 lbs.) bike laying on its side in the sand. Heavy sucker to pick up.

_

I agree about Pinto Canyon. It's a beautiful road, but a lot of pavement to get there. The last time I was there, Gina and I did it two-up, in the Suzuki Vitara. :mrgreen:

Well, that settles that. I'm unsubing to this thread in hopes I don't get jealous of you all. My sons ship date changed from the March 6th to the 27th. Can't blow the last few days away from him before he ships to boot camp.

Yall have fun. I'll be ready next time.

Ive riden a dr 650 in da bb state park n it could go nearly everywhere except some single tracks had to still b babied thru hence there r areas that only a klx 400 can go with ease
N also a klr 650 fully loaded nearly 500 or so lbs n it was a chore n not fun at all offroad, but good on all park paved roads

Yeah, the first time I went to BBRSP was on a DR650 it went and did everything it was asked, but in some places turned into a big pig. And not Fun. Next time 100 lbs less. KTM 500 a blast......:rider:

Slightly off topic, I need to make a couple of tweaks to my KLR 650 before the rally. Can anyone recommend a good bike mechanic in Austin who knows their way around dual sport adventure bikes?

Yep, Cuzin Bob.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gang I hate to say this but it appears work is getting in the way of me being able to make the ride, I am not happy about this...

One reason I mention is I do have a reservation at the El Dorado Hotel. Before I call and cancel I thought I would see if anybody is interested I can try and see about changing the name on the reservation instead of just canceling it and having it put into the queue for just anybody to book.

Let me know.

I'll be trucking my DRZ from the south Houston area, leaving on Wednesday the 22nd at lunch if anyone wants to join.

Is anyone going to go through the Stovall Ranch from US90 west of Sanserson or has anyone done this on the way in or out?

Is anyone going to go through the Stovall Ranch from US90 west of Sanserson or has anyone done this on the way in or out?

I'm guessing you're looking at Dove Mountain Road.
Unless something has changed in the last few years, it's a no go.

Previous attempts have resulted in:
Private road
Locked gates
Unhappy rancher
Trespass discussions

OK - We will skip it then. It looks like they have a Facebook page, so I thought about trying to get permission as from 90 down it could be fun...but it would suck to go 90% of the way and find a locked gate.

So I just picked up the 2015 Husky 501 posted on the site here from Paul, what a great guy. With this new purchase I am going to be a bad boy and find a way to go on this ride. My plan is to take both the Honda Africa Twin and the Husky 501. One day of "dual sport" one day of killer dirt playing!

Been a long time since I rode a TWT event and looking forward to it! I'll be there with my dad. If you see a jacket or helmet with "Uncle Mullet" on the back of it- that's me- say hello!

Looks like I am in and brother-in-law coming as well on some BMW800s. Really looking forward to it, but of course, all hotels are sold out except Lajitas, which 12 miles away. Aren't there some camping spots right in Ghost Town with some showers?

Looks like I am in and brother-in-law coming as well on some BMW800s. Really looking forward to it, but of course, all hotels are sold out except Lajitas, which 12 miles away. Aren't there some camping spots right in Ghost Town with some showers?

There is a free camping area here,

https://goo.gl/maps/WmcUwFZWUPH2

There are overpriced campsites available here,

https://www.hipcamp.com/texas/big-bend-campsites-terlingua-las-ruinas/big-bend-campsites-terlingua-las-ruinas-camp

The Big Bend Motor Lodge has coin operated showers available to anyone,

http://www.bigbendresort.com/lodging

Also down the road a few miles is Rancho Topanga. Nice place with nice folks that run it.

http://www.ranchotopanga.com/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back