• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
JCat Hidden Falls was great, my first time there, did south loop (Rambo lines) and north loop.

I am feeling very fat, old, out of shape and sore today.

I just bought a sweet Honda CRF450X and it needs some basic set up including plating...Im gonna try to come down wednesday to at least Fort Stockton and then resume on to Terlingua on Thursday morn to set up camp. Would love to get in a short ride Thursday evening before the Fajita Dinner.
Ive got a camping site in Terlingua with water and elec right behind the store...
Im from San Antonio...my TWT name is INFIDEL and my real name is Trace. Ive ridden with many of you on several TARA events in the past. I had a DR650 but wanted something lighter for the sands of Big Bend and Im excited about this new Honda CRF450X...
Im looking for riders of moderate speed to ride with on Friday and Saturday. Ive been to Big Bend before but have only ridden River Road. Im looking to tackle Old Ore, Black Gap and possibly King Kong Hill over in the State Park...
Im interested in a great ride, meeting fun people to ride with in the future.
I have ridden a huge variety of bikes for 40 years and loved them all...but im not a bike elitist. I buy most of mine used on Craigslist so I can afford to own a few... I will help you up if you crash and would hope for the same. I like to stop along the way and take in the scenery and snap a few photos.
Im 59 so a moderate pace and schedule will be the plan. Hope to see you there. Anyone is welcome to ride with me and can text me at 210-392-7980 anytime to meet up.
I am on the same schedule as you My real name is Mike 512 738 1667 Call or text me

Question,
This is my first trip to BBSP, so I was wondering are most of y'all taking 2 bikes ? It appears there are instances where a lighter 450 is what some are preferring. I ride a 800 Tiger so I was concerned on the weight. Any answers would be appreciated.

Question,
This is my first trip to BBSP, so I was wondering are most of y'all taking 2 bikes ? It appears there are instances where a lighter 450 is what some are preferring. I ride a 800 Tiger so I was concerned on the weight. Any answers would be appreciated.

Depends on what type of riding you want to do. I lean toward mostly dirt when I go to Big Bend so I only bring a lighter dirt bike. If you want to do street and dirt, bring both. Heavy bikes no fun in sand and technical stuff.

A buddy of mine and I are leaving in the morning and riding from Austin via a 1 1/2 day scenic route and arriving BB (hopefully) Wed mid-afternoon. After a little RR we plan on a late afternoon and/or sunset ride over a route yet to determined, but likely mostly on pavers. Anyone interested in joining is welcome or if anything more organized is going on please let me know. We'll be at the El D, just ask for Greg or Will. We'll definitely be hooking up with the early birds on Thur morning at the suggested breakfast spot.

Safe trip everyone!

I wonder how aggressivly the bikes are being checked for legality. I would love to bring my Yamaha IT200 2 stroke and just slap a plate on it...I dont recall seeing any cops hassling anyone last time down there...

That d606 would be ideal! I just need enough rubber to get back to el paso. I brought rear tire but needed front.Doh!

ab76ae0bedb6ead1c4ec326b0fe5e126.jpg

Here you go dcwilcox, tire loaded in the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what type of riding you want to do. I lean toward mostly dirt when I go to Big Bend so I only bring a lighter dirt bike. If you want to do street and dirt, bring both. Heavy bikes no fun in sand and technical stuff.

I ride a Tiger 800XC as well and have never ridden out at BBNP, for a pretty capable rider how difficult would Black Gap be on an adv bike? Note that i'll hardly have any luggage on the bike at all.

Last edited:
I ride a Tiger 800XC as well and have never ridden out at BBNP, for a pretty capable rider how difficult would Black Gap be on an adv bike? Note that i'll hardly have any luggage on the bike at all.
You should be fine, there's only 1 semi rough ledge, and it's not bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't do it on a bike that heavy. Black Gap has some technical riding and then the ledge depending which way you come at it. I'm sure many riders may be fine with it but I don't like heavy adventure bikes in the dirt/rocks especially if you have another option. The lighter the better.

SpiritAtBay and I arrived about 2:30. Where is everybody? Going to check out LaKiva tonight. If anyone wants to ride tomorrow, let us know and we'll plan something. If we don't hear from any one else, we will probably trailer to the hot springs and ride Old Ore or River Road, Glenn Springs, black Gap, RR loop.

JT

Found a new tire in Alpine this afternoon. Thanks aren't enough for those who looked or are bringing tires! I'll buy you guys a beer or six!

Well, in the words of the immortal Anna Rosanna Danna; "its always something!" Due to an unexpected family medical emergency, I will once again be missing all the fun at this years Around The Bend Rally. Roost it up real good for me you all!

Philip, I'd like to tag along on the day 1 ride if there is room. I'll be on a GS 1150 and need to ease back into off road riding.

Also, I plan to have my No Mar in the truck so it will be available to those in need. It won't do any good on the trails but if you can limp back it will be available.

Vol

Donny, was looking forward to meeting a fellow AT rider. Hope the emergency turns out ok.

JT, that hurts, I am stuck here working away. Bikes are loaded in the trailer, hope to hit the road by about 1:00PM tomorrow will be in BB Thursday mid-morning.

How is Gina loving the 690?

That is a serious friend, one how schleps a tire changer for the gang to use deserves a shot and a beer!

Both of my bikes are officially tubeless, so I hope I won't have to use the assist but very cool to bring it!

Got a good skid plate?????:eek2:

Got a good skid plate?????:eek2:

Yes i have a skid plate and crash bars. Im not worried as much about the bike falling as I am getting a flat due to rocks and the "edge". I will see who i end up linking up with when i get out there and figure out the best route. :eat:

Found a new tire in Alpine this afternoon. Thanks aren't enough for those who looked or are bringing tires! I'll buy you guys a beer or six!

ummmm I had 3 tires for you with me but they bounced out of the truck!

Mark, Matt and I (Russell) arrive Wed late afternoon early evening. Coming in from Houston and San Antonio. Will set up camp somewhere. looking to ride Thursday. KTM - KLR - XR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back