• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loaded and ready to head that way at 4:30 tomorrow morning. Will swing by Marfa for a quick look around and hope to be at the hotel by 4:30-5:00.

Would like to meet up with a bunch of guys and girls to pick a ride for Friday and beyond.

With work done and everything ready to go I am FINALLY stoked.

The sun is setting on our first day here in the desert.
View from our front door, looking toward Terlingua.
f5a6f7558b7f0c6f5feb8198a041caf2.jpg

View from an art gallery we visited earlier today. (Next door to the Starlight)
ed201489dd99797f400605b0caaf593f.jpg

Even earlier today, we visited the Museum of the Big Bend on the campus of Sul Ross University.

6f97f5f790a49e521eb9adcc297b5a3a.jpg

I've heard cowboys shouldn't pop a squat with their spurs on...guess this guy didn't get the memo.

JT, "This is where Milton Otto and I one time had to spend the night in a canyon..."
4a54afbccca026aede43ec94d9d43935.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am registered and parked at the rv. spotit's brand new that's why it's not on goggle maps. About a mile away by pretty nice all the hookups and paved. Anyone want to ride Let me know.

I have the 800 XCX all packed up! I found a KTM for sale I am going to try to buy in the morning! **** you guys hooked me! :giveup: I'll be there when I get there tomorrow late probably.:rider:

I'm all packed up. Heading there tomorrow from Dallas. So I'll be joining you all riding on Thursday.

I have the 800 XCX all packed up! I found a KTM for sale I am going to try to buy in the morning! **** you guys hooked me! :giveup: I'll be there when I get there tomorrow late probably.:rider:

I have a WR250 for Sale but If it sell it, I can't ride this weekend. Really though, it's for sale.

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon, most likely riding 2 up on a 690. There a group of about 6 of us, your welcome to join. I'm staying at Rancho Topango on the ridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

What time are you guys leaving from Graham? I am leaving Bowie at 0500 Thursday so should be coming through Graham around 0615 to 0630. Won't be going too fast since its still dark and too many pigs and deer between there.

Wade

I was wanting to ride to Peguis canyon on Friday as well. I have not been there but have been to and through Ojinaga before. I am in!

I have a WR250 for Sale but If it sell it, I can't ride this weekend. Really though, it's for sale.

I am trying to buy a KTM in Austin but something seems strange. A 520 area code, only a text messaging phone and doesn't seem like a difficult seller. This may be a scam of some sort, I am trying to leave here this morning so this doesn't look good by the minute.

What time are you guys leaving from Graham? I am leaving Bowie at 0500 Thursday so should be coming through Graham around 0615 to 0630. Won't be going too fast since its still dark and too many pigs and deer between there.

Wade
I'm leaving 5pm this evening, staying tonight in Monahans, departing at 6am tomorrow.

I am trying to buy a KTM in Austin but something seems strange. A 520 area code, only a text messaging phone and doesn't seem like a difficult seller. This may be a scam of some sort, I am trying to leave here this morning so this doesn't look good by the minute.

Always makes me nervous if they will only text and not talk. Best of luck!

Good enough. Are you guys still planning to ride to Mexico on Friday?
I'm not sure, I have some friends from NC that are already there. I'll have to see if they still want to, if they haven't already. I'm staying at Rancho Topango with a Duke and an enduro if you want to swing by. My cell is 940-452-6981

I'm not sure, I have some friends from NC that are already there. I'll have to see if they still want to, if they haven't already. I'm staying at Rancho Topango with a Duke and an enduro if you want to swing by. My cell is 940-452-6981

I am staying at Topango as well, look forward to meeting you. Maximus says good things about you, I think I trust him......lol

I am staying at Topango as well, look forward to meeting you. Maximus says good things about you, I think I trust him......lol

And I will be on a Moto Guzzi Stelvio so if you see me first flag me down!

I ride a Tiger 800XC as well and have never ridden out at BBNP, for a pretty capable rider how difficult would Black Gap be on an adv bike? Note that i'll hardly have any luggage on the bike at all.

If you do it, I'd suggest doing it from south to north. There's one stretch that'll wear you out on the big bike - a lot of elevation change, a big stair-step down, then a big climb up with some switchbacks. Other than this maybe .25 mile section, it should not be too much harder than Old Ore.

But, it might also not be a lot of fun. Personally, I wouldn't want to do Black Gap on a bike much more that 300 lbs - not because it's not possible, but because there are way better roads for a heavy bike in the park.

One option is to do river road west to east. That'll take you through a bunch of sand, but it otherwise the easiest dirt in the park. Once you get to the Black Gap intersection, if you are feeling up to it - do it. Otherwise, keep on river road until it hits pavement on the east side.

Be very careful.

Bobcat, TJ's cycles has lots of new ones!!! Just kidding, I live in Austin and am trying to leave by about 1:00PM today. Not that I have a lot of spare time, but if there is something I can do to help, let me know...

Ahhh, the first morning of a long awaited vacation. Packing up the suburban and loading up the new CRF450X. I rode it yesterday for the first time...what a beast. Im still waiting on delivery of a gear rack from Rocky Mountain ATV which was promised to be here yesterday. Its been one week today...
I got my dualsport kit installed on the Honda but noticed it is equipped with Dunlop 756 non highway use tires...so im not totally legal. I may stop at cycle gear for some better mirrors...its a creepy feeling not knowing whos coming up behind you...
We are busting west at 1pm...heading out to Ft.Stockton for a steak at the Wagon Wheel. Will continue on early thursday for our campsite in Terlingua.
After setting up camp im ready for a short intro ride close to town before the fajita diner. We will be over in the tent area behind the store at terlingua. We are in a black suburban. Come on by for a cold one... Look forward to being back on this ride following having a heart attack in late 2014. Ive missed the last two years while I rehabbed. I cant wait to tackle Black Gap and Old Ore.

Be very careful.
It must have been a scam. After it was posted on Craiglist in Austin I finally got an email from Tucson AR! Said I could pay for it and ship it , well that is crazy! I'll just pay half and half when it gets here! LOL! No! I thought a little humor might be in order this morning! I'll be on a white Tiger XCX camping at ElDorado RV flag me down. See y'all there!
Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back