• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend Rally March 2nd to 5th 2023

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Shaddock
2023 Around the Bend Rally Registration Now Open:. $25 reg / admin fee.

Mar 2 - Mar 5, 2023

Terlingua, Texas

Around the Bend is an amazing and fun-filled 4-day motorcycle rally in the Big Bend region of Texas. For 2023 the rally is scheduled Thursday - Sunday, Mar 2 - 5, 2022. All riders are invited to attend on their street legal motorcycles.

You may notice I've added an optional day to the typical format. Wednesday night will include a new (and new to Big Bend) rider meet and greet cocktail hour on the front porch, and a seated dinner at the Starlight Theater.

Thursday will include a new rider orientation ride from 9 to 2 and an afternoon ghost town walkaround. Thursday night will resume the same basic schedule as in previous years.

What kind of rally is this? This motorcycle rally is predominately a dual sport adventure rally but it is open to anyone with a street legal motorcycle. Street-only, adventure, and dual sport riders are all invited to attend. Come by yourself or bring some friends. Ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come out early. Or stay a few days late. The main point is to have fun. Please note that there is no legal, public off-road riding in the Big Bend area so all motorcycles have to be properly tagged and registered.

What is riding like in the Big Bend region? There is both paved and unpaved riding all around the Big Bend area.

- Dual Sport and Adventure Riders Lots of dual sport riders show up to ride the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to play in the dirt at Big Bend but just haven't made it yet, this is a wonderful opportunity to do so.

- Dual sport riders: There are a number of primitive dirt roads in both BBNP and Big Bend Ranch State Park (The Ranch). BBNP is the most popular riding choice for most because the dirt riding there is superb but The Ranch has some good stuff too. (Note that riding larger adventure bikes in The Ranch can be quite challenging due to the ruggedness of the roads.) ALSO YOU MUST HAVE PERMISSION OF A POATRI PROPERTY OWNER TO RIDE ANY ROAD IN THE RANCH. THIS SHOULD INCLUDE A FRANK DISCUSSION ABOUT SPEED LIMITS, NOISE, TRESPASSING, BEING NEIGHBORLY, AND AVOIDING WILDING! (Note, I am a property owner)

- Street riders There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed. For example, Hwy 170, aka "River Road", is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas

You can ride in Big Bend National Park (BBNP) and various other roads in the area. Some popular riding destinations for street-only riders are BBNP, Presidio, Fort Davis, Marfa, and Mexico (yes, Mexico).

There are also some excellent dirt roads across the border in Mexico too for those who want a bit more adventure.

If you've never been to Big Bend and would like a guide, indicate on the signup and add $25. Includes a Big Bend ride guide with planned routes & GPS tracks. The guide includes pavement-only routes and dual sport/adventure routes.

Is someone leading a ride one or both days? This year's event is a rally which means there are no planned routes that everyone will be riding. Instead, riders will self-organize into groups each morning and select where they want to ride that day.

I’ve never been to a rally before. If you have never attended a rally and don't know anyone, come on out anyway. We are a really friendly bunch of people and welcome new riders. You will easily be able to find a group to ride with. If you are an experienced dirt rider and need a group to ride with, just ask around - you will quickly find a suitable group to join. For those needing a group to ride with, we will be organizing riding groups immediately following the Friday morning riders meeting.

Can we ride in Mexico? Absolutely. There is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need to do any paperwork to visit it either but you will need your vehicle registration to ride into Mexico. On the Mexico side of the international bridge Mexican officials will stop you and compare the VIN of your motorcycle with the VIN on your vehicle registration to ensure they match. Once they have done so, they will wave you through. From there head south through Ojinaga on the main road and about 25 paved miles later you will arrive at the canyon overlook.

Bring your passport or passcard because US Customs will need to see it before they let you back into the United States.

Is it safe? Mexico sure is close, is the Big Bend area safe? Yes, it is safe. As of this writing all the border drug stuff you've been hearing about on the news has not been a serious issue in the Big Bend region.

OPTIONAL NEW RIDER EVENING
Wednesday, March 1st
5 PM to 7 PM New rider meet and greet, Front Porch
7 PM New rider dinner, Starlight Theater

OFFICIAL RALLY MARCH 2ND TO 5TH
Thursday, Mar 2nd
9 AM - 2 PM New Rider Ride, Top of the World
2 PM to 3 PM Ghosttown walk
4 PM TO 7 PM, High Sierra Bar & Grill Social and Rally Check In
7 PM Group Dinner at High Sierra

Friday, March 3rd
7 am, breakfast at the TBD
8:00 am, riders meeting TBD
8:00 - 5 pm, organize a group and ride wherever you want
5 pm - 7 pm, meet on the porch in Terlingua

Saturday, March 4th
7:00 am, breakfast at TBD
8:00 am, riders meeting at TBD
8:00 am - 5 pm, organize a group and ride wherever you want
6 pm - 10 pm group dinner at the Starlight Theater

Sunday, March 5th
7:00 am Breakfast at Posado Milagro inthe ghost town.
8:00 am Tow vehicle trip to east end of NP
9:00 am NEW: BOQUILLAS CROSSING TO MEXICO With your valid passport...cross into Mexico by jon boat for a day (9 TO 4 pm) A little sampler platter of Mexico. Hot springs, canyon paddle trip, Mexican lunch. Blindly Guided and Hosted by MextrekADV, aka Peter. 100% safe and Mexico newb friendly. Mextrek sales pitch to happen at some point, haha.
4:00 PM Head Home

Last edited:
Official registered attendees ($ = unpaid)

1. Peter Shaddock MextrekAdv pad
2. Doug M Countingcoup paid $$
3. Matt O Advridertx + guide (I promise not to crash in front of you this trip Matt!) Paid
4. Kyle H cw5hill paid
5. Tim M TxTimMo paid
6. Jeremy J jjameson68 paid
7. Jeff B JSB + Guide paid
8. Scott M Scottm + Guide paid
9. Peter M PeterM5365 + guide paid
10. Doyle L theD-man paid
11. Charles N Nevlec paid
12. Sean S Donkeypuncher $$
13. Max C Maximus + guide paid
14. Steve R Team Rawls paid
15. Trish R Team Rawls paid
16. Collin D Collin228
17. Staton S tojo92 paid
18. Jory V Jory paid
19. Tim C Tim C paid
20. Jeff E Sweatmachine + guide paid
21. Allen D IB270 + guide paid
22. Fred G Fredg + guide paid NEED ADDRESS
23. David D duckfoot + guide paid
24. Mike R Rollinsrider84 paid
25. Jarred S Jschettler $$
26. Big Toe Joe W Whaleskins + guide paid
27. Fugi Fugi Fugi paid
28. Erick R paid
29. Corbin B Electric Mayhem paid
30. Brad P Husq701 guide paid
31. Richard P Gunnerm1 paid
32. Mike B Mike Betish paid
33. Jeff R Jeff Robinson paid
34. Robert O El Paso Bob paid
35. Jack S Sandsman paid
36. Stewart H k9dr paid
37. Jeff J mastercat88 guide paid
37. Don D Sabago guide paid
39. Desiree D (not registered, but paid)
40. Justin L Jlehman41 paid
41. Jim w turbtx paid
42. Josh v Huskie901 gude paid
43. Kike S Enrique6033 paid
44. David d davidaxxa paid
45. J-Crash Green Sigeye paid
46. Ralph R Ralph paid
47. John H Licketysplit paid
48. Julio G July57 guide paid
49. Cliff R Cliff Rigby guide paid
50. Bill B Cardude guide paid
51. Ryan s Ryan Sandefir paid
52. Jim z jzigler guide paid
53. Marla H Marla Hamilton $$
54. Casey c hailchaser paid
55. James C (register on twtex pls) paid
56. Jorge M ocho paid
57. Kenny K kenny klein paid
58. Walt P Walt Ponivas + guide paid
59. Kurt H gamestopdorito paid
60. William H billitheo paid
61. Pablo K Pablocruzer $
62. Teddy M TcMay $
63. Dan S SpaceCowboy paid
64. Cole M ducaticowboy paid
65. Terry D Terry Dalke + guide paid
66. Kip M KipM paid
67. Brad m bradmayo + guide paid
68. Chris C Chruscrow paid
69. Von B Vonv + guide paid

Guidebook only Casey H paid

Last edited:
2023 Around the Bend Rally

Mar 2 - Mar 6, 2023

Terlingua, Texas

Around the Bend is an amazing and fun-filled 4-day motorcycle rally in the Big Bend region of Texas. For 2023 the rally is scheduled Thursday - Sunday, Mar 2 - 5, 2022. All riders are invited to attend on their street legal motorcycles.

You may notice I've added a day to the typical format. Wednesday night will include a new (and new to Big Bend) rider meet and greet cocktail hour on the front porch, and a seated dinner at the Starlight Theater.

Thursday will include a new rider orientation ride from 9 to 2 and an afternoon ghost town walkaround. Thursday night will resume the same schedule as in previous years.

Copied in from 2022...

What kind of rally is this? This motorcycle rally is predominately a dual sport adventure rally but it is open to anyone with a street legal motorcycle. Street-only, adventure, and dual sport riders are all invited to attend. Come by yourself or bring some friends. Ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come out early. Or stay a few days late. The main point is to have fun. Please note that there is no legal, public off-road riding in the Big Bend area so all motorcycles have to be properly tagged and registered.

What is riding like in the Big Bend region? There is both paved and unpaved riding all around the Big Bend area.
- Street riders There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed. For example, Hwy 170, aka "River Road", is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas.

- Dual Sport and Adventure Riders Lots of dual sport riders show up to ride the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to play in the dirt at Big Bend but just haven't made it yet, this is a wonderful opportunity to do so.

Where can we ride?
- Street riders: You can ride in Big Bend National Park (BBNP) and various other roads in the area. Some popular riding destinations for street-only riders are BBNP, Presidio, Fort Davis, Marfa, and Mexico (yes, Mexico).

- Dual sport riders: There are a number of primitive dirt roads in both BBNP and Big Bend Ranch State Park (The Ranch). BBNP is the most popular riding choice for most because the dirt riding there is superb but The Ranch has some good stuff too. (Note that riding larger adventure bikes in The Ranch can be quite challenging due to the ruggedness of the roads.) There are also some excellent dirt roads across the border in Mexico too for those who want a bit more adventure.

If you've never been to Big Bend and would like a guide, I sell a Big Bend ride guide with planned routes & GPS tracks. The guide includes pavement-only routes and dual sport/adventure routes.

Is someone leading a ride one or both days? This year's event is a rally which means there are no planned routes that everyone will be riding. Instead, riders will self-organize into groups each morning and select where they want to ride that day.

I’ve never been to a rally before. If you have never attended a rally and don't know anyone, come on out anyway. We are a really friendly bunch of people and welcome new riders. You will easily be able to find a group to ride with. If you are an experienced dirt rider and need a group to ride with, just ask around - you will quickly find a suitable group to join. For those needing a group to ride with, we will be organizing riding groups immediately following the Friday morning riders meeting.

Can we ride in Mexico? Absolutely. There is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need to do any paperwork to visit it either but you will need your vehicle registration to ride into Mexico. On the Mexico side of the international bridge Mexican officials will stop you and compare the VIN of your motorcycle with the VIN on your vehicle registration to ensure they match. Once they have done so, they will wave you through. From there head south through Ojinaga on the main road and about 25 paved miles later you will arrive at the canyon overlook.

Bring your passport or passcard because US Customs will need to see it before they let you back into the United States.

There is also some good dirt on the Mexico side of the Rio Grande for the dual sport adventure riders.

Is it safe? Mexico sure is close, is the Big Bend area safe? Yes, it is safe. As of this writing all the border drug stuff you've been hearing about on the news has not been a serious issue in the Big Bend region.

Wednesday, March 1st

Thursday, Mar 2nd
9 AM - 2 PM New rider ride
7 PM Fajita Welcome Dinner

Friday, March 3rd

Saturday, March 4th
6 pm - 10 pm, banquet TBD

Sunday, March 5th
Head Home
Do we sign up or just show up? The only fee is to buy maps and GPS? This year is a street ride as a lead group? Looks like fun and I’m looking forward to it. Ron

Is that date set in stone? Last year someone posted dates and I booked reservations then dates changed and we showed up a week later missed everybody. I didn’t bother to check dates again my bad

Reactions: Vec
I'll be there for sure. It's going to be a blast, like always. Maybe I'll have my passport by then and can enjoy a little bit of Mexico. I definitely want to do some hiking as well.

Anyway, this next bit is important.

If you are planning to ride in the National Park, please be aware...

The flooding that is happening now will have changed dramatically many of the wash crossings on River Road in the National Park. It is likely to be much less friendly to heavier bikes and street tires than it already was, which was not very friendly at all. Expect deep, loose sand for long stretches.

The desert is no joke. There is no shade, no water, no cell service, and no tolerance for the unprepared.

Knowing your limitations can save your life, but even the very experienced on the proper machines have found themselves riding out in a chopper.

I'm about to invest in a Garmin Inreach mini so if I'm wadded up somewhere I can call in the calvary.

Anyway, I'll see you out there!

Last edited:
Is that date set in stone? Last year someone posted dates and I booked reservations then dates changed and we showed up a week later missed everybody. I didn’t bother to check dates again my bad
Rich announced last year that it will always be the first weekend of March.

I'll be there for sure. It's going to be a blast, like always. Maybe I'll have my passport by then and can enjoy a little bit of Mexico. I definitely want to do some hiking as well.

Anyway, this next bit is important.

If you are planning to ride in the National Park, please be aware...

The flooding that is happening now will have changed dramatically many of the wash crossings on River Road in the National Park. It is likely to be much less friendly to heavier bikes and street tires than it already was, which was not very friendly at all. Expect deep, loose sand for long stretches.

The desert is no joke. There is no shade, no water, no cell service, and no tolerance for the unprepared.

Knowing your limitations can save your life, but even the very experienced on the proper machines have found themselves riding out in a chopper.

I'm about to invest in a Garmin Inreach mini so if I'm wadded up somewhere I can call in the calvary.

Anyway, I'll see you out there!
"The desert is no joke. There is no shade, no water, no cell service, and no tolerance for the unprepared"
A couple of guys learned that the hard way this past year.

I was there for the 2018 ride, then more important things came up over the next few years. I really enjoyed the meet up and the rides. I'm making plans to be there this next year.

Never been to Big Bend much less there for a rally. Where should I be looking to book a room? I would be interested in making the trip across the border as well.

Do we sign up or just show up? The only fee is to buy maps and GPS? This year is a street ride as a lead group? Looks like fun and I’m looking forward to it. Ro
2023 Around the Bend Rally

Mar 2 - Mar 6, 2023

Terlingua, Texas

You may notice I've added a day to the typical format. Wednesday night will include a new (and new to Big Bend) rider meet and greet cocktail hour on the front porch, and a seated dinner at the Starlight Theater.

Thursday will include a new rider orientation ride from 9 to 2 and an afternoon ghost town walkaround. Thursday night will resume the same schedule as in previous years.

Copied in from 2022...

- Street riders There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed. For example, Hwy 170, aka "River Road", is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas.

Where can we ride?
- Street riders: You can ride in Big Bend National Park (BBNP) and various other roads in the area. Some popular riding destinations for street-only riders are BBNP, Presidio, Fort Davis, Marfa, and Mexico (yes, Mexico).

- Dual sport riders: There are a number of primitive dirt roads in both BBNP and Big Bend Ranch State Park (The Ranch). BBNP is the most popular riding choice for most because the dirt riding there is superb but The Ranch has some good stuff too. (Note that riding larger adventure bikes in The Ranch can be quite challenging due to the ruggedness of the roads.) There are also some excellent dirt roads across the border in Mexico too for those who want a bit more adventure.

If you've never been to Big Bend and would like a guide, I sell a Big Bend ride guide with planned routes & GPS tracks. The guide includes pavement-only routes and dual sport/adventure routes.

There is also some good dirt on the Mexico side of the Rio Grande for the dual sport adventure riders.

Wednesday, March 1st

Thursday, Mar 2nd
9 AM - 2 PM New rider ride
7 PM Fajita Welcome Dinner

Friday, March 3rd

Saturday, March 4th
6 pm - 10 pm, banquet TBD

Sunday, March 5th
Head Home
Peter, is any registration required and what cost? Also, is there any contact information (email or tel.) for people who need to find out more? I'm trying to list this as an event for Ride Texas magazine but need this info.

Is there any more info for the new rider ride? I’ve been to BB before but have missed out on most dirt roads in the park.

Back