• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

As seen on gas pump

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Is this the way I am being told that when I pump 10 gallons I may not be getting 10 gallons. I am sure it’s not a warning telling me I may be getting more.

Attachments

• 629FBE67-7CC2-4D72-803A-2F0830C860CB.jpeg
    629FBE67-7CC2-4D72-803A-2F0830C860CB.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 118
Guessing this is at Costco?

It's telling you not to sue them if you find you are getting less energy content from the fuel than you expected, which is what the plaintiffs alleged in that lawsuit.

I wonder what the actual energy difference is in one gallon of gas.

If you have an above ground tank it is an issue, but below ground has minimal temp differentiation.
I remember reading about this a few years ago and there was minimal difference between fuel @ 60°F and 90°F (my temps may be off, but I do remember it was not really a difference worth worrying about).

Guessing this is at Costco?

It's telling you not to sue them if you find you are getting less energy content from the fuel than you expected, which is what the plaintiffs alleged in that lawsuit.
I don't recall any pump ever stating what the energy content of a motor fuel is in my life. No statement of such has ever been made so there's nothing to dispute.

If you have an above ground tank it is an issue, but below ground has minimal temp differentiation.
I remember reading about this a few years ago and there was minimal difference between fuel @ 60°F and 90°F (my temps may be off, but I do remember it was not really a difference worth worrying about).
Once it gets it's temp raised by the friction of the gears in a fuel pump at high pressure and sits in a fuel rail on top of the engine in a hot engine bay then gets atomized by an injector, it just doesn't matter anymore.

I don't recall any pump ever stating what the energy content of a motor fuel is in my life. No statement of such has ever been made so there's nothing to dispute.

There was a lawsuit, and the plaintiffs lost, as far as I can tell. But in an abundance of caution, I could see Costco putting labels like this on fuel pumps just to avoid someone trying to sue them again for the same reason.

Isn't the coefficient of expansion for gasoline less than 0.1% per degF?
So a 30degF change (typical morning to afternoon temp swing here) nets a <3% volumetric difference.
My car has an 18.5 gallon tank so at most that makes about a 1/2 gallon difference. Not inconsequential.
But as noted, underground tanks remain at a more stable temp than the air temp.

This random site says gas is 0.00095 per 1°C or 0.095%
So, at 30F temp swing could be ~17C, or 1.5% more/less volume.

But as @blupupher says, this temp change is very unlikely with in-ground tanks as gas stations, but noticeable in your bike's tank in the Texas sun, or jerry can, etc.

FYI, water is 0.000214, or about 1/4 that of gas.

So, fill up in the cool mornings for the densest gas!

But will it have a hair less energy? And will it get you a hair less further than the heavy stuff?

Imagine all the wasted resources that team of attorneys used up to file that lawsuit. I wonder how many gallons of fuel they burned up driving back and forth from the courthouse?

But will it have a hair less energy? And will it get you a hair less further than the heavy stuff?

Imagine all the wasted resources that team of attorneys used up to file that lawsuit. I wonder how many gallons of fuel they burned up driving back and forth from the courthouse?

Since when do class action suits have to make an iota of actual sense?

Well in this case, they lost, far as I can tell. So the lawsuit didn't make sense, or cents.

This is why it would make a lot more sense to buy fuel by mass, not by volume. Or even by weight. Formula 1 measures fuel in kg, but oddly enough they have to be able to supply 2 liters of fuel to the stewards at the end of each race for testing if requested, and I guess there's some way they could argue that this isn't fair, they should only have to supply a certain number of grams of fuel, since they were not allocated in liters. Those guys play all sorts of games with temperature and volume and density of air and fuel and all that.

Pretty sure Laws of Physics don't apply in county, state, or even federal court.

There is always the People's Court... or Judge Judy. I hear anything goes there.

Pretty sure Laws of Physics don't apply in county, state, or even federal court.

There is always the People's Court... or Judge Judy. I hear anything goes there.

I work for a plaintiff's law firm. I have this, among other things, hung up at my desk.

Attachments

• PXL_20211020_142309205.jpg
    PXL_20211020_142309205.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 88
Been that way forever , when you buy a tanker load of gas it is adjusted up when colder then mean temp and down when warmer , you can put more gas in a 9,000 gallon tank when its colder than when it’s hot . And that’s the gas temp , not air temp . Don’t remember the exact numbers but it’s several dollars worth on 9,000 gallons . in a bike gas tank just suck it up and don’t worry their not screwing you unless your buying gas from an overhead tank on a hot day

Back