• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aspear gets a shop

Aspear

Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
After three years on the ranch time has finally come to build a shop. Somewhere to store/work on bikes, the truck and cars etc. I have been secretly stashing more and more stuff in my dad's shop over the past few years.

Current plan is a 30x40x12 bolt up kit. Mueller seems to be the supplier I'll be going with. Currently waiting on some concrete quotes. I will be adding a 18x40 leanto off the side to store the tractor, attachments, the 47 chevy.

Dont really want to put a bolt up kit myself, but it's about $10k cheaper. We talked to arklatex for awhile but they do wood frame, and I dont trust that to much in the long haul.

This will be slow going, took three years to ever get to the point of getting quotes.

I'll update this as time goes on, but what are yall working out of?

Show and tell!

950b6b49fdf370fcd175265be55ffffb.jpg

I built a 24x54 shop almost 20 years ago.
Best money I ever spent.

FWIW ... I had to build a 16x20 storage shed too.

I built a 24x54 shop almost 20 years ago.
Best money I ever spent.

FWIW ... I had to build a 16x20 storage shed too.
This will not be my forever shop, it's already set to be pretty full as soon as it's built.

We intend to build a house well away from the road in 20 years when we can afford it, where another shop will built.

I will end up leasing the trailer, shop and 5 acres.

I also have a 20x30 3 sided car port I picked up after Harvey flattened it. I just have a few more slip joints to weld back on. Ride now needing argon/co2 mix is my excuse.

I built a 30 X 30 shop. 4 inch drill pipe for corners, 2 3/8 upset for wall post and top rail. 2 1/2 red iron C-Purlin for walls. 2 3/8 upset with 3/8 sucker rod gusseted with 3/8 strap for rafters with C-purlin for roof attachment and stability. My wife and 8 and 6 year old sons helped me set the rafters and later pour and finish the cement floor.
It was completely open with self supporting rafters and metal roof. and buttoned up with Lincoln 225. and screw gun for roof and walls 12ft in front to 10 ft celing in rear. sliding 12 ft front door. I traded for the Drillpipe, upset tubing, 3/8 strap and the cement for the floor and footing. I bought the C-purlin and sheet metal. The sheet metal was 2nds by the way and i borrowed the paint sprayer. One of my riding buds came over and helped me put the metal on for the roof. Also loaned me the screw guns. I also added a 30 x30 open ended car port next to it for our boat and travel trailer. I think I had 9 bikes at that time in the shop. That was in about 1985. The only thing I paid cash for was the red iron and sheet metal. A friend came out and ran 220 underground to it. We sold the house in 2000 when we moved to Bryan/College Station. The top of the car port lifted off and set down during a very high wind and I never replaced it. The wind pushed my boat out and off the pad and was not damaged when the carport top came down. We had many Christmas parties, dances and anything else we could think of there. The current owners have added a nornal size door on the East side. So to make the point there was very little cash that traded hands, probably less than $1000. This was about 1984 and it is still standing and looking good.

No shop yet on our property but hopefully one day. We built the house with an oversized garage to get us by until then. It's 28' wide by 31' deep. It holds momma's car and two bikes with plenty of room to spare.
Building and 8' x 8' shed to get all the lawn tools out of the garage.

If you don't mind updating your progress with costs and lots of pictures, it would be appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing this project.

I got a tiny 20x20 with concrete and 2 10x10 sliding doors I cobbled together myself (back when I knew how to work). You can do it single handily. You can do anything with these and a stubborn ****.
Vise-Grip-Locking-Welding-Quick-Pliers.jpg_640x640.jpg

I shoehorn in my f150, wee strom and a little work bench. Ain't much but it's paid for. Like you say, they are always a work in progress. I have one panel i still need to install above the pass thru door that ive had for years. :argh:

This will not be my forever shop, it's already set to be pretty full as soon as it's built.

We intend to build a house well away from the road in 20 years when we can afford it, where another shop will built.

I will end up leasing the trailer, shop and 5 acres.

I also have a 20x30 3 sided car port I picked up after Harvey flattened it. I just have a few more slip joints to weld back on. Ride now needing argon/co2 mix is my excuse.

Awesome plan ...

I have been kicking around selling my place here in Granbury, finding a parcel of land some where and building a barndominium.
There is nothing keeping me here any longer. Arkansas is looking kinda nice.

Awesome plan ...

I have been kicking around selling my place here in Granbury, finding a parcel of land some where and building a barndominium.
Land is cheaper there than here last I heard

Man what a fun milestone. Congrats on the start of a good project.

Here is WMC (Warren Motorsports Complex)

A few things I would have done different.
But by and large, I love the place.

I got a tiny 20x20 with concrete and 2 10x10 sliding doors I cobbled together myself (back when I knew how to work). You can do it single handily. You can do anything with these and a stubborn ****.
View attachment 232200
I bought 3 of these specifically for building my shop 35 years ago. Still have them and use them regularly.

Awesome plan ...

This is a great idea, except...
All non-residents must file a state tax return if they receive any income from anArkansas source. ... To arrive at the percentage of the total tax owed to the state ofArkansas, you must divide the income earned in Arkansas by your total income.
Moving To Arkansas - Arkansas Department of Finance and ...
Guess if your retired does not matter so much. Barndominum does sound like a good idea.

I bought 3 of these specifically for building my shop 35 years ago. Still have them and use them regularly.
I had no idea how to get the job done and saw them (clamps) at the home depot and thought, that should work.

View attachment 232200

I shoehorn in my f150, wee strom and a little work bench. Ain't much but it's paid for. Like you say, they are always a work in progress. I have one panel i still need to install above the pass thru door that ive had for years. :argh:
I use those when I weld, holds my stuff together so I can glue it.

You are doing a shop similar to Pee Paw's Scooter Shop. My slab is 50 X 40. I have a 30X40 shop with 12 foot walls, a 10 X 12 and 9X7 roll door. I was going to have a 20 X 40 car port but we ended up adding another room 15 X20 onto it and I am glad we did. I put the air compressor in there and it works great for me.

20170607_163307.jpg

I was definitely inspired by the WMC. Mitch's shop is a perfect place to work. I just had a lot more room and I had one shot at it before I retired. So PPSS is what I ended up with.

20180929_13261111.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

WOW! I'm Jealous. All I have is a 2 car garage and a 12x14 so-called shop. I can only dream!

I like my 20 x 20 leanto for projects better than the inside shop. Nice breeze and sunlight. I put a 400 watt metal haylide light for night work. May start another leanto after May first. Tax Apraisal goes out.😀

My shop is 30x40x10. Two things I did that I would do again is insulate the roof and put 12w roll-ups in the north and south ends.

I wish I even had a spot to build a shop... I currently just wrench on it in the covered parking spot I am paying for at my apartment complex, the best I can do.

Wife didn't seem keen on me bringing it into the living room... I said it looks nicer then the couch and would be a real conversation starter for company...

Win some, Lose some I suppose. :zen:

I wish I even had a spot to build a shop... I currently just wrench on it in the covered parking spot I am paying for at my apartment complex, the best I can do.

Wife didn't seem keen on me bringing it into the living room... I said it looks nicer then the couch and would be a real conversation starter for company...

Win some, Lose some I suppose. :zen:
Put one of these on
3-473e-89dc-4a70b45d6da6?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg.jpg
and call it a reading lamp :lol2:

Back