• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #182-Wildlife (ENTRY)

V-lust

Reaction score
Submit your ENTRY here to be considered for Assignment #182-Wildlife

Please do not comment in this thread until a winner has been selected. Comments may be deleted without warning.

Specifics for this assignment:

1) Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, iPad, or even film; all shooters are welcome and encouraged to participate!

2) Post processing is allowed for this assignment.

3 All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.

4) Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between now and midnight/2400, January 30, 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
31620386413_c7e456a6bc_b.jpg

Great pics guys! I had thought of having birds for a topic but went with the broader topic of wildlife.

Deco- Are the tan basically vertical streaks grass leaves? Are they moving in the wind or is it a focus issue? The little bird looks great, I just find the tan streaks distracting

Rusty- I thought you were going back to Yellowstone for "Bison in the Snow";-)
I like the color contrast

Kory- Amazing catch! I see this sort of bird hooliganism (usually crows or mockingbirds picking on somebody)fairly often but have never managed to catch it on camera. The hawk almost looks embarrassed to be having his picture made with that obnoxious bluejay attacking him. I'm not entirely sure you even gave us your best shot from the serieshttp://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112887 Some really good shots there.
I declare Kory the champion wildlife photographer!

This little guy was in a swampy area of a pond. Lots of reeds and trees coming up through the water. I shot this with a 600mm @ f6.3 so there is very little DOF. The streaks are branches between the camera and the bird so they are out of focus. Kinda of an artsy-fartsy effect. I can see where it could be distracting. Thanks for the comments.

I knew it was going to be tough after I saw Kory's post. I'm very surprised all the entries were birds though. Thanks for the comments and congrats to Kory.

Looking forward to the next challenge.

The whole set of the Hawk is really awesome. Kory, you did a great job of getting that many. Super sharp images. :clap:
All bird pictures and all long lenses.

Rusty, what brand shoveler is that duck. All were great, but that hawk attack may be a once in a lifetime shot. It almost looks like the Jay is super imposed.

Thanks for the comments on my shot, guys. I wasn't sure which one to pick, but the one I entered just seemed the most interesting to me.

The other two shots were fantastic. WB, how'd you manage to find a duck with a shovel attached to its face? :mrgreen: Very nice, sharp, colorful shot. And Deco, sweet shot, and I like the out of focus reeds to add dimension to the shot. What 600mm lens was it with?

It's been a while for me, are we doing these as 3 week assignments now? Let me think and I'll get something up soon. I don't have much creativity, so it may be something the same or similar to what has been done in the past. There have been so many, I don't think there's anything new to do at this point.

Thanks for the comments. I was using the Sigma 150-600. I have carried it for the past few weeks stopping by local ponds on my commute for the assignment. It has been lots of fun. Ready to see what you have in store for the next one. I'm sure it will be good.

Rusty, what brand shoveler is that duck. All were great, but that hawk attack may be a once in a lifetime shot. It almost looks like the Jay is super imposed.

Northern Shoveler is what my app/book says.

Thanks for the comments. I was using the Sigma 150-600. I have carried it for the past few weeks stopping by local ponds on my commute for the assignment. It has been lots of fun. Ready to see what you have in store for the next one. I'm sure it will be good.

Ah, I completely forgot about the Sigma. Very cool.

Back