• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Atascocita, Day In The Woods.

thumper said:
Come on KEN...what do you mean "I will think about it". We rode in the off season. Wait till spring when the skeeters and mocassins come out.:lol2: Then it really gets fun.:eek2:

Say what you want. You'll be back.:rider: You might even run up on a gator.:clap:

Good riding with ya.:sun:

I've heard there are still cougars up that way....he, he...no really!

Tim, you made me feel better about the bridge, I thought it looked better than bubba construction, but it did look like it ended smack into that tree.

Texas Dr said:
On the way going back, Bryan decided to stop as his oil went to chocolatey...
I think it was the right decision. Thanks for the crying act, Bryan...
10.jpg

I think Bryan might be crying in this picture because the shop behind him turned him away stating they didn't have anything in his size. :lol2:

Just kidding around, nice ride and report.

thumper said:
Hey I was just trying to block the wrong way.:rofl: And that was the ONLY time.:lol2: Unless your gonna count my little crash.:giveup:

Yeah, seriously, thank you showing us good route and bad route.
When you demonstrated us the water was as deep as half of your bike height, I was clapping for you in my mind...:clap:

Texas Dr said:
Hahaha... Tim, I was just kidding. I would love to go back there again, and you know that!;-)

Thanks!
Ken

Yea, I knew you saw the possibilities for ''a little drier run''.:rider:

Now that I kinda know how to work my GPS, I'm mapping a route that includes all the years of wandering around without one. Twong and I will get back in there when it's not so soupy.:lol2:

BTW, I really liked the vids.The ending to ''an easier way'' was classic!:rofl:

Texas Dr said:
Videos are uploaded.

Warning! Handle bar mounted camera got shaked with my each single turn. You might be sick by watching it too long...

Mud Ride

Just tried to look for easier way...

The bridge

Thanks!
Ken
Loved the videos Ken, although I look like a real goof falling over in that creek. That was my problem all day, I just didn't have enough speed for any of those manuvers plus my lack of skills:lol2: .

10.jpg

mjacks said:
I think Bryan might be crying in this picture because the shop behind him turned him away stating they didn't have anything in his size. :lol2:

Just kidding around, nice ride and report.
Yeah I was loving life right about then. As I was waiting on GreaseMonkey to come pick me and the bike up, the lady's inside the Talbot's store kept giving me the evil eye, I was all wet and muddy and I had to go to the bathroom real bad. To top it all of I could not get my jacket off due to the zipper being jammed up, it was chilly out. I just wanted to put my sweat shirt back on, I kept tinkering with it and I finally got it unzipped and put back on my other layer of clothing.

Well I had some success working on the bike yesterday. I flushed the engine with motor oil and sea foam, it took two flushes and I let it drain out all night. I then pulled the tank and cleaned up the spark plug(which just had some carbon on it but with a wire brush I brought it back). I then pulled the carb and removed the float bowl and there was a bunch of sand and garbage in the bottom, I also removed the top of it and made sure the diagram was tear free which it was. I put it all back together with some fresh oil and a new filter and it fired right up and ran like it should. Now I just have to touch up my cracking bed liner paint job in spots and I should be good to go.:pray:

Edit: I also cleaned out the airbox and filter, caution be careful about laying the KLR down on the left side in water. On the left side of the airbox just under the seat is where the intake is for fresh air which is exactly where all the water came in.

Good deal Brian,glad there were no problems.Ken that was too cool.Not only do you take good pict's, now your doing video.If it works out well people will probably pay you not to show their goofs!!!!!Filled in all the holes in my yard with the mud washed from the bike.Lubed up and ready for the next one:rider:

dbdolan said:
Loved the videos Ken, although I look like a real goof falling over in that creek. That was my problem all day, I just didn't have enough speed for any of those manuvers plus my lack of skills:lol2: .

I'm not one to make excuses but bike weight, fatigue,and trail conditions mean alot. Think what it would have been like if all of us were on KLRs.:eek2:

I use to ride with some real "rock stars" who never rode anything heavier than an RM250. A couple of them let me doop them into switching bikes [my '90 DR650.. 374lb dwt.]. It was hilariuos to say the least.:rofl: Talk about some no riding fools.:lol2:

My point is...really good skills are required on a heavy bike...then switching to a lighter bike makes you a much better team.:clap: Just my opinion!:rider:

GREASEMONKEY said:
If it works out well people will probably pay you not to show their goofs!!!!!

Here we go! New business plan!
Anybody wanna buy the option to delete the videos?:lol2: (Just kidding)

Ken

thumper said:
I'm not one to make excuses but bike weight, fatigue,and trail conditions mean alot. Think what it would have been like if all of us were on KLRs.:eek2:

I use to ride with some real "rock stars" who never rode anything heavier than an RM250. A couple of them let me doop them into switching bikes [my '90 DR650.. 374lb dwt.]. It was hilariuos to say the least.:rofl: Talk about some no riding fools.:lol2:

My point is...really good skills are required on a heavy bike...then switching to a lighter bike makes you a much better team.:clap: Just my opinion!:rider:

Bryan's tire became mud slick tire quickly and got almost no traction. I can tell by seeing him from behind that it must have been very difficult to ride in the condition.
Bryan's tire is D606, and mine is D606 as well. Since mine was OK, maybe bike weight or amount of tire wearing could be the cause...

Ken

dbdolan said:
Edit: I also cleaned out the airbox and filter, caution be careful about laying the KLR down on the left side in water. On the left side of the airbox just under the seat is where the intake is for fresh air which is exactly where all the water came in.

I always like to throw my bike down on the left side[I'm right-handed]. So does that mean all KLR riders should be lefthanded?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Glad she'll live to see another day!:sun:

Swamp Things

Man I have to say I would have bailed at the first monster mudhole!!:giveup:

I swear I saw the boggy creek monster in one of those videos:lol2:

Texas Dr said:
Here we go! New business plan!
Anybody wanna buy the option to delete the videos?:lol2: (Just kidding)

Ken

Will you accept deposits on future rides.:cool2: How 'bout a personal check.:trust:

thumper said:
Will you accept deposits on future rides.:cool2: How 'bout a personal check.:trust:

We accept personal checks, but you don't get the video deleted until the check goes through... :lol2:

Ken

thumper said:
BTW, I bet you've got the same situation in Beaumont. Need any riders?:rider:
Well, not really. All the dirt roads end at a house (trailer) with a big dog with an attitude. Any place that has potential gets 4WD truck traffic that turns it into huge mud holes (sound familiar?).

james.cain said:
I swear I saw the boggy creek monster in one of those videos:lol2:

I think I saw him too in the first video. :mrgreen:

Looks like y'all had fun. Got to agree with Tim's comment on Bryan's abilities with the KLR.........he's a hoss on that thing! I watched him chasing Alex around Outlaw on that "PIG" and he was doing a pretty dang good job of it. :clap:

Guess one of these days I'll have to get my "Pumkin" street legal so I can join y'all.

Ken....How are you mounting the helmetcam to your helmet? Alex has a camera like yours and he is having problems getting it mounted to where it films straight ahead. Most of his film is of the right side of the trails, the camera is mounted on the left side of his helmet as far back on the chin bar as it will go. We thought about mounting it above his visor but haven't tried it there.

I don't think using the mount to put it on his handlebars would be a good idea with the speed he carries through the woods and the movement of the front of his bike.

Hemibee said:
Guess one of these days I'll have to get my "Pumkin" street legal so I can join y'all.

So what's the hold up?:flip: Btw, I'll be looking to bum an invite from ya'll next month.:trust:

thumper said:
So what's the hold up?:flip:

Money.......... My CPA made an error in calculations and Uncle Sam is expecting a Big Pay Day in April......:eek2:

thumper said:
Btw, I'll be looking to bum an invite from ya'll next month.:trust:

If it dries out and I get the bikes back together, I'm sure we can work something out. :rider: We'll have to be sure and get Bryan out there too to help ease any fears he may now have about riding in the woods. :lol2:

Hemibee said:
Ken....How are you mounting the helmetcam to your helmet?

Tony,

My helmet cam mounting base is rubber belt mounted on side of my helmet.
It shimmed, and fixed with duct tape.
I did fine adjustment at least 5 times to take movie straight ahead, and try not look around while taping. I am very bad not to look around, and so far have not taken satisfactory shot yet.

Hope this helps.
Ken

1.jpg

Thanks Ken. I'll be sure and have Alex look at your set up. We thought we had it using zip ties at the chin bar but it was still just a little off. I'd told him we could try some duct tape but didn't have any with us on the last ride.

Back