• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ATV high country above Silverton, CO...fun

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All I rented an ATV and rode the high jeep trails above Silverton, CO last week. An early front with snow made the scenery beyond amazing. It was a fun time around the area I grew up. I was solo on a BRP, following a guide with four passengers driving a larger machine. It was interesting watching the motorcycle riders on the passes, some of the roads are really rocky, steep and challenging. I even got my ATV stuck on a snowbank trying to make it up Engineer Pass. Good times. 274007

My parents live in Farmington and I have always wanted bro go up there. An atv sounds like a good solo option next time we are visiting. Great pictures

Navigation is a bit of a challenge, if you go get a good map. Even then, the trails are often poorly marked. If I was going solo, I would get a satellite Nav system, forget about cell signals up there.

I found the ATV interesting to drive. Fortunately I had some previous experience courtesy of friends with ATVs we used a couple years back. The BRP had 40 HP, drug to the left due to some tech issue, threw a lot of heat, but overall was quite enjoyable.

We just got back from up there. We drove the easier roads in my buddies 4X4 pickup but could not do the tougher stuff. I will go back with my Yamaha Wolverine.

The ATV rocks and rolls with every rock and dip on the primitive mining roads. I think a motorcycle, and standing on pegs would be a smoother ride. However, I also think it takes the right machine, and a very skilled motorcycle rider to navigate these passes. Any mistake could be pretty ugly. The altitude is also extreme, contributing to fatigue. Beautiful area.

I am too old to try those trails on a dirt bike but in my Wolverine not a problem. It has great suspension and good power.

Aside from the “follow the leader” aspect, that sounds like a ton of fun. I’m really wanting to go somewhere that I can rent a side by side and ride some trails with my wife and daughter. Sounds like I’d probably need to go somewhere a bit less challenging for their sakes though.

Weston pass was the only Colorado pass I rode that didn’t have a traffic jam on it . I have to drive through Colorado now to get to the good stuff

Back