• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aug. Planned CDT ride

Reaction score
First Name
lane
Last Name
crampton
I'm planning on leaving Houston on Aug 18 to ride the CDT. The way it's kind of starting to look I could see them trying to shut the country down again. What happens if we're half way into this ride? Do we continue on the top half as planned and if questioned tell them we are on our way home or would we be required to leave the trail then and come home. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with planned rides coming up. What are your thoughts? Also still looking for other riders that would like to join in on the ride.

I would just go and worry about it if something comes up.

I didn’t have any issues in the mountain states when I went to Idaho.

I'm with@misterk .

I'm starting in the CDT/CDR/GDR in a couple of weeks and there are too many changes that could happen to have a possible pre-determined list of decisions. My buddy and I are just staying aware of news and generally know we'd opt for longer rides within open states... BDRs, etc. should we need to change plans.

We are planning to ride the CDR in early August, will leave late July and drive up to the Canadian border to start the ride, will just see how it goes. This will be our 3rd time riding the CDR, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

That's about what my plan is to just go and figure it out along the way if they try to shut it down

I'm planning on leaving Houston on Aug 18 to ride the CDT. The way it's kind of starting to look I could see them trying to shut the country down again. What happens if we're half way into this ride? Do we continue on the top half as planned and if questioned tell them we are on our way home or would we be required to leave the trail then and come home. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with planned rides coming up. What are your thoughts? Also still looking for other riders that would like to join in on the ride.

I just did the Redneck Ramble in Paris Texas about 3 weeks ago, and we didn't have any issues. We stayed at the Convention Hall there, and the Paris folks rented it to us, and rented us RV spots and no one was wearing any masks, but that was before Gregg Abbott came back with another mask order. We also had a dinner and there was at least a 100 people in the hall not wearing masks, but like I said, that was right after the order was lifted and now its back. Anyhow, police did show up here and there but they were looking for people spraying painting BLM on the buildings. Yep, in Paris Tx some kids were spray painting BLM on their monuments outside of the convention hall.

As far as the ride goes, its all public roads and we didn't have any issues what-so-ever. As for police, the only time I really saw them was when they came looking for the BLM spray painters. I didn't really see any of them on the road, but even then. Its not illegal to travel, and when your on a bike your not within 6 ft of each other, so other than that. What can anyone really say? I am honestly trying to figure out why they keep closing down these events. Its starting to get ridiculous now, considering the death rate has been steadily falling.

Regardless, I very seriously doubt you are going to have any issues. Do what I do, put all the gear on, bandanas and so on, so you end up looking like the Uni-bomber and then when you walk into some place, ask them if they are requiring it or not. Everytime so far, I have been told I don't have to wear anything. I personally like the skeleton-face motorcycle mask I have. You just have to keep on living your life regardless, the way I see it. Let you living your life be someone else's problem.

For those who have been asking our plans are coming together. We are planning on meeting up at Bluff Springs NM. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lincoln/recarea/?recid=40310
Address
777-999 Upper Rio Penasco Road
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
GPS: 32.831112, -105.737568
Elevation: 8123'

I will be leaving Houston on the 18th for a slow easy ride to Bluff Springs. Figure I'll roll in around the 20 or 21st. We would then like to leave on the 22 or 23th at the latest. From there just follow, explore, and enjoy the trail. I have also started a WhatsApp for this ride if you'd like to follow.

Just finished the ride from south to north. NM was the worst part of the trip. Cant go inside pretty much anywhere so don't plan on eating except on a patio if you can find one. No issues with the quarantine stuff and not a word was mentioned. We had to deal with flash floods in many areas and lots of washed out roads. I will say that the temps in NM were better than most of the rest of the trip. We did end up skipping a section and doing a reroute in some areas cause I can only ride so many miles of fresh gravel and washboard roads. I think the state highway dept got a copy of the route a pretty much put fresh gravel the entire route. Yellow Stone was packed so get ready to ride in miles of traffic. No other issues along the route. I will say watch for traffic in most areas where the roads are gravel cause it is crazy busy in the mountains. Cars, truck and UTVs were flying around every corner. Hit the Canadian boarded on Aug 2nd and it was 101 degrees.

Just finished the ride from south to north. NM was the worst part of the trip. Cant go inside pretty much anywhere so don't plan on eating except on a patio if you can find one. No issues with the quarantine stuff and not a word was mentioned. We had to deal with flash floods in many areas and lots of washed out roads. I will say that the temps in NM were better than most of the rest of the trip. We did end up skipping a section and doing a reroute in some areas cause I can only ride so many miles of fresh gravel and washboard roads. I think the state highway dept got a copy of the route a pretty much put fresh gravel the entire route. Yellow Stone was packed so get ready to ride in miles of traffic. No other issues along the route. I will say watch for traffic in most areas where the roads are gravel cause it is crazy busy in the mountains. Cars, truck and UTVs were flying around every corner. Hit the Canadian boarded on Aug 2nd and it was 101 degrees.

Hey just wanted to update you on our plans for the CDT if you were still interested in riding with us for some or all. My plans are to leave Monday

17th Monday- Houston to Schreiber Park 324 miles

18th Tue.- Schreiber Park to East bound closed weight station (Vanhorn) 323 miles

19th weight station to Poncho Villa State Park 256 miles

20th Thur.- Antelope Wells (CDT start) to Bluff Springs (for meet up) 196 miles

21st Friday- day tripping around Lincoln Forest

22nd ???

Maybe the south is a bit different from the north, my wife, daughter And I started in Eureka MT, and rode south, we made it to southern Wyoming before my wife lost the front end on gravel and broke her leg (in 2 places, holiday over) but we had no problem at all finding places to sleep and eat, a lot of the trail has been turned into dirt roads (rather than the Small dirt trails that we rode 6 years ago) which was disappointing but still fun, can’t say what it’s like from Colorado down to the Mexican border, but WY and north was a fun ride with easy access to restaurants and hotels. 😁

wow sorry to hear about your wife and then canceled trip for the remainder of the trail. Thanks for the up date

Yes! Thanks for the update! I am wanting to DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING to get out on the bikes once the weather cools down. I bought a toy hauler last year that can carry two bikes so I can boon it anywhere now. I plan on probably going down to Galveston for the Lone Star rally enven though it was called off just because its a one hour drive and Galveston Island is a good biker friendly place with allot of restaurants, but this is really just for the wife. She likes to ride on the back of the show bike. The adventure stuff is all me, and I am looking to either goto OK or NM, somewhere thats not more than a days drive. So because Wife is in tow on most of these trips, thanks for the restaurant update.

Back