• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Area Recommendations

Reaction score
First Name
Fred
After years of street riding, I decided recently that I wanted to get back on the dirt. Mainly because Hidden Falls has been high on my list of activities for a long while. Picked up an old 1982 Honda XR205R and currently restoring it. Hoping to have it running well in the next month or so.

Once I get this XR running, I'd like to take it out on a few mild trails to test it out, make sure it's functionally good, and generally start getting my dirt legs back before getting too crazy.

Can anyone recommend some open trails in and around Austin that are OK for riding? By "OK", I mean won't bother anyone, won't get into any trouble, and are technically mild. The XR isn't street legal (and I don't plan on getting it legal), so it would need to be an area that I can trailer the bike to and from.

Del Valle Motocross and Hidden Falls are certainly options. Was just hoping to find some place simple, free, and close by where I can quickly load up the bike, run it for a bit to find issues, get a little practice, and head back home to continue wrenching.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. And, if privacy is an issue, feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

Emma long is in Austin and cheap but not free. As far as difficulty tho. It's about a 4-5. Not for beginners I don't know of any trails to just hop on nearby. Hidden falls has some nice trails. Not too tough and only $25 for the day. I blow more than that going to the movies

Define close.

I'd say within a 20-30 mile radius of downtown would be close for me. I recognize that I'm not going to be able to zip 5 minutes down the road and have a blast. Think 3-4 hours round trip including riding.

Also, I forgot about Emma Long. Good recommendation. Maybe outside of my skill set right now, but soon.

Not street legal, as a lot of the available stuff is easier to get to with a street legal ride. LED headlight, brake/tail light, a horn (little bulb type that you squeeze works) and a plate, your golden.

Not street legal

Thanks, Dave. That's my next step in the restore project. 1) Get it running 2) Get it running well 3) Get it street legal.

The last step is a bit of doozy since it doesn't have a title and has been stripped of any semblance of an electrical system. I know it had a headlight at one time, but that's long gone.

Emma Long is near the intersection of 360 and 2222 on City Park Rd. It'll be easier to Google as the directions are a little convoluted.

Thanks, Doktor. I'm familiar with Emma Long and know exactly where it is. I think that sounds like the best bet for now. Just need to man up and work on my step and rock face climbing skills.

Thanks, Doktor. I'm familiar with Emma Long and know exactly where it is. I think that sounds like the best bet for now. Just need to man up and work on my step and rock face climbing skills.

No problem, I forget sometimes that everyone doesn't always know where stuff is located.

No problem, I forget sometimes that everyone doesn't always know where stuff is located.

I only know where it is because I stumbled upon it on a ride out to Ski Shores one day. Some poor saps were getting tickets for riding their non-plated bikes out on Oak Shores Drive.

By saying Emma Long, do you mean City Park? If so, and the motorcycle trails are anything like the mountain bike trails, and you aren't a pro I'd say away. Unless you like falling lol.

I rode my mountain bike there several times. All I can say is WOW! Almost took a short flight off a long cliff out there once.

The mountain bike trails are the motorcycle trails. :eek2: They were first created at MC trails and now the two coexist out there.

LOL, no way! I can't see anyone doing those stairs on anything other than one of these.
3.22009MODEL.JPG

Shoot, I don't even want to ride my bicycle out there. But it is cool that the city has a place like that for bike and motorcycles.

Yea, the last time I was out there (5+ yrs ago), they had a competition going on and had these types of bikes out. It's crazy watching them.

Oh heck, sorry for the hijack.

Thanks, all.

In summary, no real open trails within close proximity to the city limits to speak of, but looks like there's some good ones over in Bastrop if one has a plated bike. Emma Long/City Park, close, cheap, very difficult. Hidden Falls, a bit of a trek, only $25 and has a wide range of trails.

I'll probably take my tools and bike out to Hidden Falls until I get this old XR titled, plated, and lighted.

Thanks.

You're right, I googled it and found their website. Thanks very much, I had not heard of that. Interesting site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about the trails out in Bastrop? I'd like to find something between Emma Long and dirt single tracks. I've done plenty of dirt single track, so looking to expand my technical skills.

Bastrop is great fun, hook up with RollingJ - he's the guru there. Better go soon though, he'll chime why I'm sure...check his other threads also.

John B

Back