• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin area to Big Bend May 2019

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
I am interested in a Trip to Big Bend. I would love to leave May 3rd (Friday) right after work. Ride out of Austin about 3 hours and camp. Then on the 4th of May finish the ride to Big Bend and camp in the primitive campsites. Ride the River Road on the 5th (Sunday) and area. 6th Ride up the the 3 Sisters area and find a good campsite. Do some mid morning 3 Sisters ride and then back to Austin.

Because I have a little time before putting in for vacation days I am flexible. The reason I planned the 3 sisters on the way back is I hear the roads are less busy during the week.

Anyone have suggestions on Campsites or Roads to checkout in Big Bend. Understand I am riding a Ducati Enduro so a real heavy bike. No Sand roads please.

DucRunner, sounds like you are going to do some serious miles. Sunday for example, you're on River Road Sunday morning and expect to take the twisty route up 3 Sisters to Austin,... that's going to be a long day. Plus, in our area there's lots of deer out roaming around, so be careful out there.

I am guessing it is a bust for early May this year. Can’t seem to find a good camp site between Austin and Big Bend that anyone knows about. The rest of the month of May is really tight and then I am up in Tennessee late June and July. I would love to plan a trip for early August but that is not the time to go south.

The post about Big Bend during Thanksgiving sounds good. Just not sure if my wife would agree to let me miss Family Dinner on Thanksgiving. ( she doesn’t ride at all )

Oh well.

Understanding that the early May trip is off, but wanted to ask if you meant the paved River Rd (hwy 170) that runs from Terlingua to Presidio? A great road.

The other River Rd is in the natl park. Is dirt and involves some very sandy sections.

CM Shooter’s sublime comment is spot on. Big Bend is—-different. It really did take me awhile to —even begin to appreciate the area.

And Knobby is right: lots of deer out and about in the Hill Country. Not just in rural areas. Not just at night. Not just in the morning. Everywhere. All the dang time.

Definitely go when ya can and enjoy what you discover.

Can’t seem to find a good camp site between Austin and Big Bend that anyone knows about
Meaning none exist, or none are available? There are oodles of camping opportunities in this 700 mile stretch of road, so I hope you mean availability.

Hill Country SNA
Lost Maples
Garner
South Llano
Kickapoo Caverns
Seminole Canyon
Devil's River SNA
Gotta be something around Amistad?
Probably a dozen or more private / KOA-style camp grounds

No Sand roads please
This means don't do the dirt in Big Bend - stay on pavement, or maybe just Maverick Rd.

I was thinking about doing some dual sporting / dirt biking in Big Bend State Park May 14-19, not smart to be in the desert by myself though so I am looking for anyone else who wants to have an adventure.

Reading the BIg Bend Thread has got me thinking I better get there before the summer heat hits!

I've got an XR650R that I love taking down gravel roads, unimproved roads and all the trails you can throw at it.

I'm in Odessa and am considering riding down mid week and riding through the weekend. If this interests anyone let me know and we can start making plans. Sorry I can't make the original date this post has, I'm working the first two weeks in May... seems like plans have kind of fizzled so I'm seeing if we can reignite interest with a different date!

I'm in Odessa and am considering riding down mid week and riding through the weekend.

Note that you'll need to carry food and fuel into the park. They have a commercial kitchen you can use, but it is not stocked. Nearest fuel is Presidio, about 30 - 45 min ride one way from park HQ. That makes riding (as opposed to trailering) into the park a difficult proposition. It'll be HOT, too.

Back