• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin for the GP week - what to not Miss?

PJFZ1

Reaction score
First Name
PJ
Last Name
Pijanka
We'll be in Austin for a week for Moto Gp. I hope to drive down on Friday the 12th, and ride the Hill country that weekend. I've got a group from another forum doing a weekend group ride, so that will take care of the weekend schedule. We'll be doing the Schwantz School at Harris Hill on Tues/Wed the 6th and 17th, and the GP on the weekend.

We've never been to Austin before, and we'll be staying in San Marcos for most of the week, and just a couple of blocks off of 6th street for the weekend.

The questions I've got involve what restaurants and nightlife we shouldn't miss. I'm already thinking that Bacon will be one eatery, and the Broken Spoke is a possibility for Chicken Fried Steak.

On Thursday night we're thinking we'd like to have a get-together for our friends who will be there with us, and we'd like to find a good folk or country place. We follow a couple of Austin musicians, but haven't got any specifically nailed down.

And last on the list.. We're used to the Gp at Indy, where there's a specific bike night downtown, streets closed fot it, etc.. Does anyone know if Austin has any sim,iliar plabs?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm thinking this group very well might have all the answers..

If you're a fan of Central TX market-style bbq, three of the very best purveyors extant are La Barbeque, Franklin's, and John Mueller...now that all three are open, maybe the wait will be a little less? No word on a bike night, tho Rusty is doing a cookout Friday night at his house.

I definitely want to try the BBQ.. I expect I'll be doing it several times..

I've actually never been there, but I've had a couple of different people recommend Herbert's Tacos in San Marcos for a cheap little Tex-Mex dive restaurant. Might be good for one of the nights after the H2R trackdays.

Thanks Nathan - that might be a good choice - I figure those nights will be about carbs and rest, so we'll do that!

I did just find this: And think that might sew up Saturday night..

Wish I could make it down to visit with you guys but its not going to work out this year. I'm the one who posted the pic of the tractor/sprinkler. I'll be calling soon for some Rizoma fluid perches for my SF.

Cheers!!

Wish I could make it down to visit with you guys but its not going to work out this year. I'm the one who posted the pic of the tractor/sprinkler. I'll be calling soon for some Rizoma fluid perches for my SF.

Cheers!!

Tony - sorry to hear that.. but if your plans change, come find us!

Thanks Nathan - that might be a good choice - I figure those nights will be about carbs and rest, so we'll do that!

I did just find this: And think that might sew up Saturday night..

We frequently hit up Stubbs on Sunday morning after a hard Saturday night. Good stuff. Just FYI, Robert Earl Keen, at Stubbs, on a Saturday night, as a fraternity fundraiser, will be P A C K E D to the rafters. Not necessarily a good or bad thing. Depends on what you are wanting for the night.

I've had a couple of excellent dinners at Moonshine (Red River and E. 3rd) in Austin. Also, some of the more happening areas of 6th street seem to have moved to West 6th these days. Used to be EVERYTHING happened between about Brazos and Red River on 5th or 6th. At least "back in my day" (said in old timer voice) 10-12 years ago. Last couple of times I've been out in Austin, we've been to places on W. 6th or W. 5th, more like between Congress and Lamar.

Friday night, if you want to run up to the north side of town there is this: BBQ at Woodbuthcer's Just post up in that thread if you think you are coming. Need a head count so we cook enough food.

Friday night, if you want to run up to the north side of town there is this: BBQ at Woodbuthcer's Just post up in that thread if you think you are coming. Need a head count so we cook enough food.

Excellent - We'll keep this in mind.

As far as REK at Stubbs - I would expect a crowd, but I want the BBQ and music.

We're also putting together a night out for Thursday with some local Austin Music and a bunch of our friends and customers.. I'll post up a separate thread when we confirm the plan.

Country music at the Broken Spoke is legendary. Dallas nightclub has been around forever. Barton Springs Pool (check to see if it is open 1st), Dinner at the Oasis on Lake Travis (have to be there at sunset for the full effect), Bob Bullock and LBJ Museums, and much more.

Country music at the Broken Spoke is legendary. Dallas nightclub has been around forever. Barton Springs Pool (check to see if it is open 1st), Dinner at the Oasis on Lake Travis (have to be there at sunset for the full effect), Bob Bullock and LBJ Museums, and much more.

Awesome - the Broken Spoke was one I was interested in.. I hope to get by there for Chicken Fried Staek and music,,

Bump - We've put together a good bit of our plans, and are really looking forward to this.. Looks like Gurf Morlix for a small Concert Thursday night..

My Best friend is headed down with us on the 12th for the 1st weekend, and we'll be at the REK Concert Saturday night at Stubbs, then Lockhart on Sunday for BBQ!

I have only been out to eat a couple of times in Austin, but there is aplace called Z Tejas Grill that does an incredible Chicken Fried Ribeye !!

We've locked down the plan for the Gurf Morlix concert Thursday night the 18th - small outdoor venue in Austin, $15 entry, BYOB (we'll buy beer).. It's a small venue so I don't want to post it and risk having too many, but PM me if you want the location

For a different area with alot less College kids, check out S. Congress area south of the River on Congress. Cool area. Salt Lick BBQ south of Austin is one of my favorites. Expect a line at peak lunch time especially with the race in town.

Back