• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Skyline

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
My first real attempt at a night skyline. I've done a few in the past, but I tried to really work this one. What say ye? C&C please...

DSC3311-4-XL.jpg

I'm a follower of the rule of thirds. I would have moved the framing up so that the sky takes a third of the photo and loose most of the dark shoreline. Catch a few more stars that way too. Nice exposure. :thumb:

B-
I too am a general follower of the rule of thirds. And I thought about that on this capture but what made me deviate was the buildings generally go left to right in height, thus the reflections are also left to right with the taller/longer ones on the left where the most water was due to the curve in the shoreline.

I did in fact frame it higher, but it chopped off the bottom reflections which was sort of the whole point of the shot I was trying to manage. So back down it came.

As for stars, there was one or two visible and they looked more like white pixel specs so they magically, uh..... went away? :mrgreen: The backlighting of the moon made the stars tough to pick up. If you look behind the left building, you'll see some clouds. Does that count? lol....

Last edited:
I do like the cloud streaked moon. I thought I saw some stars in the darker sky to the left. Of course on this phone I don't see much at all. Regardless, its a great shot.

posted using Tapatalk, as if you cared. :-p

Scott,

I like it as is. The sky has some glow from the moon and the buildings, there are some streaks on the bridge, and I like that you've got Frost and its reflection completely in the frame. I can't imagine that without shooting at a very wide aperture for a pretty long time you'd get much in the way of stars showing up given the city lights and the moon - but then you'd have ended up with bright glowing blobs instead of buildings. Cityscapes are fun, especially at night.

Thanks guys....

I've never ordered a canvas wrap print until now. Wifey said she wanted a wall-hanger so I ordered a 20x30 for her office.

I really like the photo, the colors are nice!

The only thing for me, and this really could just be me, my eye seems to naturally fall to the one bright rock on the bottom near the center...it's distracting for me and I would crop it out.

SCOTT!!! You nailed it with this photo, and guess what? I just saw it on TV!!!!! How cool is that??? I looked up, thought, hey, that photo looks just like the one Scott took - Wait Just A Minute - did Mark just say his name? YES HE DID!!! That IS Scott's photo! Pretty exciting, I must say!
:clap::thumb:

This pic is very intriguing - there's so much detail, it draws you in to study every aspect - from the moon glowing behind faint clouds, to the lights reflecting on the stillness of the water, the shadows under the bridge, the buildings aglow giving you the feeling of a city that never sleeps, then you just have to sit back and take in the scene as a whole. I like the rocks at the bottom - from nature on one side of the river, to the hustle and bustle of the big city on the other side. Very nice shot. Your wife is going to have a beautiful photograph hanging in her office.

Scott's pic sure looked good on the tube. Kinda set the bar pretty high for the others.:clap:
Now if they will only bring it back in the spring instead of all the kids in the bluebonnet stuff.
Tom

Details.... how did it make it on TV?

The local station has a "weather snapshots" segment and you submit your image for review. If worthy of their airing it, they notify you the newscast time/date. From what I understand, there's a lot of people who try to get their shots aired. I just happened to have one they liked.

The local station has a "weather snapshots" segment and you submit your image for review. If worthy of their airing it, they notify you the newscast time/date. From what I understand, there's a lot of people who try to get their shots aired. I just happened to have one they liked.

That's awesome! Congrats! :clap:

It's certainly a great pic.

So we're cleaning up from the party last night and the phone rings at 10:15. It's my Mom telling the Mrs. she just saw my picture again on KVUE/24 as it was selected as the overall winner for the MONTH! Of all the entries, mine was the November winner. Wow.

Congrats, Scott!!! That's an honor; I can't even begin to imagine how many entries they get!
:clap:
:photo:

So we're cleaning up from the party last night and the phone rings at 10:15. It's my Mom telling the Mrs. she just saw my picture again on KVUE/24 as it was selected as the overall winner for the MONTH! Of all the entries, mine was the November winner. Wow.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Back