• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin TARA: Monthly ride

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gibbens
Riders,

The Saturday ride is April 7th.

Starting with the April 2018 ride the starting location of the first Saturday ride is changing so as to avoid the traffic on Hwy 290.

The new meeting location is the Texaco convenience store at the intersection of Hwy 12 and Hamilton Pool Road.

I have updated the monthly GPS routes to reflect the new starting point. I have also made a few other modifications to the several of the routes, so please download the newest version of the gpx file.

How much of the "San Saba" loop being ridden this weekend is on dirt roads? I'm just learning how to work with gpx files and can't figure out how to determine road type when reviewing the track. Thanks!

Last edited:

JT

Forum Supporter
How much of the "San Saba" loop being ridden this weekend is on dirt roads? I'm just learning how to work with gpx files and can't figure out how to determine road type when reviewing the track. Thanks!
I would estimate 25-40% will be dirt.

Since most published maps do not distinguish between dirt and small paved roads, the best way is to load the tracks on to gpsvisualizer.com and view them overlaid on satellite images. Even then its often difficult because the older faded asphalt/chip seal is often the color of dirt roads.

Since most published maps do not distinguish between dirt and small paved roads, the best way is to load the tracks on to gpsvisualizer.com and view them overlaid on satellite images. Even then its often difficult because the older faded asphalt/chip seal is often the color of dirt roads.
Thanks for the info!

Awesome to hear that much is dirt. I'm in for this one. First time with TARA, I rode one last year with the Breakfast Series guys and it was really fun.

Weather looks pretty good- cooling down Sat vs. earlier in the week.

Is anyone riding over to the starting point on Hamilton Pool Rd from the Lakeline/Cedar Park side of Austin?

First Name
Keith
I'm a "maybe" at this point. If I can make it I'll hook up with the group at 281/Round Mountain.

Most definitely in for this one! First event with TARA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
I am bummed but I can't make the ride this weekend. Hope everyone has fun and stays safe.

I will be at the Meet and Greet tomorrow, but I have to burn cedars in Dripping again this weekend...

A couple of examples

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xttqcd7T4UE"]Burning in Dripping 2018 - YouTube[/ame]

Felt bad on this one, a bit too close to some oaks when the wind kicked up :(

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDceZ3DURM"]2018 burning in dripping - YouTube[/ame]

I'll be there on the Strom, and I'm dragging John and Julie from Big Bend along as well. He'll be on his Africa Twin, she'll be on my DRZ, since her KLR still isn't mended from Black Gap Rd.

Last edited:
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Johnson
Love the videos and pic in this thread!

Just realized this group is meeting right by my place. I am going to try to make it this weekend but if not, I'll be sure to come embarrass myself on the dirt in the near future.

First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Johnson

I see that there have been plenty of bigger ADV bikes on these rides. How would you think this ride would be for my first on my big bike? It has 50/50 tires on it but I haven't ridden dirt in 20 something years.

I see that there have been plenty of bigger ADV bikes on these rides. How would you think this ride would be for my first on my big bike? It has 50/50 tires on it but I haven't ridden dirt in 20 something years.
You will be good

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gibbens
Just to make sure, the ride won't be canceled due to cool weather. correct?

The ride never gets canceled. However, there is no way to know how many riders, if any, will show up. The worse the weather forecast the fewer riders that attend. There is no rain in tomorrow’s forecast, just cool weather and wind - so it’s likely that there will be a few riders there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Johnson
I dont have a lot of cool weather gear so I'll get up in the morning and see if I can bundle up enough. Hopefully I have the fortitude to hop on the bike.

Fun ride today. My last chance to wear my riding suit and heated gear, at least until next November.

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Waller
Maybe I shouldn't have headed out alone. I was using the Scenic App for the iphone as a gps and it got us sort of lost out of Llano heading up to San Saba. It turned me down some road that might have been public at one time, but now had no sign of any sort. It looked more like a path made by a herd of cattle. I tentatively followed it for a bit until coming to a deer hunting camp. Getting shot didn't seem like a good idea, so I turned back to the last known public road. I then pulled up the map and tried to plot a course toward Sloan so I could pick the trail up again. I kept coming up to roads ending in locked gates. Some of the roads shown on the Scenic map turned out to not even exist. I eventually just made my way back to Highway 16 about 15 miles south of San Saba and then took it to San Saba where I picked the route back up for home. That's where I ran into some other guys going the opposite direction. Once I got to Round Mountain, instead of heading back through Dripping Springs, I stayed on 281 to Blanco, then took 32 to Purgatory Road and home in New Braunfels. My wife made me a cup of hot cocoa and heated up some food for Gunny. I lit up the fireplace and Gunny and I crashed in front of it for the rest of the day. Next time, we'll stay with a group and hopefully not have such unexpected cold weather.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Sounds like a good adventure—explored without getting yelled or shot at, no flats, no mechanicals. And a loving wife waiting at home!

Assuming Gunny is your dog?

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Waller
Sounds like a good adventure—explored without getting yelled or shot at, no flats, no mechanicals. And a loving wife waiting at home!

Assuming Gunny is your dog?

Any time I can go out with the Ural and have no real mechanical issue is indeed a good adventure. I think the thing's caused more mis-adventures, but maybe it's just that I remember those more. Two weeks ago, Builtea and I went out together on our Urals, joined by two other Urals. We rode about 250 miles and, believe it or not, there were no issues. That's the first time Bill and I rode our Urals together that didn't either lead to a flat tire, mechanical issue, or near total disaster.

And yes, Gunny is my dog, my four-legged monkey. My 12 year old daughter, who used to be my sidecar monkey, no longer enjoys it since we use it to commute to and from school. The dog never complains.

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
First Name
Brian
What kind of temps did you guys see on Saturday morning. Heck, it was still 46 down here this Sunday morning.

First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Johnson
I enjoyed the short ride out to Llano despite the weather. After lunch I saw 38 and knew I was done. :) Still good to meet you all and I enjoyed the short ride out to Llano. I doubt we'll have the same issue with the weather again next time.

I have had similar issues to jwaller when I go out by myself. Google and my Garmin tell me to take roads that don't look like roads and I really don't want to get shot either. I've had one guy chase me down to tell me to get off his property but there wasn't a single no trespassing sign and google said it was a public road. Chris mentioned Saturday about the public roads with gates that some ranchers think are private. How can I confirm what is really public? Is there a good site that documents that?

Last edited:
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hughes
Yet again, another ride I missed. A buddy called with an emergency move. Funny how owning a truck nets you a professional career as a mover!

Hopefully next time.

I enjoyed the short ride out to Llano despite the weather. After lunch I saw 38 and knew I was done. :) Still good to meet you all and I enjoyed the short ride out to Llano. I doubt we'll have the same issue with the weather again next time.

I have had similar issues to jwaller when I go out by myself. Google and my Garmin tell me to take roads that don't look like roads and I really don't want to get shot either. I've had one guy chase me down to tell me to get off his property but there wasn't a single no trespassing sign and google said it was a public road. Chris mentioned Saturday about the public roads with gates that some ranchers think are private. How can I confirm what is really public? Is there a good site that documents that?
TXDoT has a county by county map of public roads available online. I don't have the link handy, but it should be easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

bwdmax

Forum Supporter
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Turner

TXDoT has a county by county map of public roads available online. I don't have the link handy, but it should be easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/county_grid_search.htm

Type in the county name then select it in the drop down. It will not work until you select it in the drop down. I was looking at one last week that was dated 2014 as last update. These are usually correct. When I find myself on a questionable road I slow down to limit noise and dust. In the event I encounter someone I politely ask and explain that I am following this Texas county map, most folks calm down and point you in the right direction if you are on private land.

First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Johnson
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/county_grid_search.htm

Type in the county name then select it in the drop down. It will not work until you select it in the drop down. I was looking at one last week that was dated 2014 as last update. These are usually correct. When I find myself on a questionable road I slow down to limit noise and dust. In the event I encounter someone I politely ask and explain that I am following this Texas county map, most folks calm down and point you in the right direction if you are on private land.

Thanks! That works pretty well. Sure would be nice in google, OSM or Garmin integrated this info and didn't send me down private roads.

I found these: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/forms-publications/maps.html
but it appears to not map all roads. An example is that Hamilton pool road stops before it crosses the Pedernales. I am also not seeing Old Spicewood Rd or the back 962 to 281. That was annoying.

This new link is showing some roads that I know about so that is awesome. I'll use it to map out my routes in basecamp and keep a few pdfs on my phone for reference.

Last edited:
Its still a couple of weeks out, but can we get a head count on riders who are planning to do the May group ride, instead or attending TAR in Junction?

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Waller
Its still a couple of weeks out, but can we get a head count on riders who are planning to do the May group ride, instead or attending TAR in Junction?

I will try to be there. I rode most of the route yesterday, kind of a route recon, just to see what kind of terrain and to help me decide which bike to take on a group ride. Most of the route is paved, so I'm not concerned with dropping my bike, so I think if I join, it will be on my Scrambler. Anyone concerned with the route and wondering what kind of bike can handle it, I did a portion of the route on an unpaved road on a Triumph Sprint ST, so any bike will do.

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Burnett
Cant get away for the TAR, I’m in for the group ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Way to make us all jealous "Texas Mud Taco", I can't wait to get back to the Durango area!

I am out for this ride, this is my final push for some clients, hopefully back to a more normal schedule after the end of this month.

Well, if that makes you jealous, then I shouldn't tell you i'm going up there because we are buying property in the area. We're DONE with Texas summers!

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Oh yea, just rub salt into that wound!

Congrats for you, what part of Durango? My wife and I have fallen in love with the Purgatory area, hopefully one of these days we too will summer in CO.

We have been renting houses up there for the last few years, typically in late September. Just love the area and the ridding !!!

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gibbens
The route is mostly paved, eh? Like how much?
About 95% is paved.

May's route makes a loop out to Fredericksburg and back. It's about 70% typical hill country roads (paved, narrow, twisty, elevation changes, no center strip, scenic), 25% highway, and 5% dirt.