• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trips

Reaction score
Another Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip has come and gone with nothing but good riding with good friends.

I didn't have the opportunity to take any action shots or scenery shots as we were riding the whole time with brief pit stops in Blanco for breakfast and Luckenbach for libations.

It was a great ride with KosmicKLR, Lamar568, GlockPointer and myself in attendance.

Here is the roll chart starting from Hwy 71 W @ RR620 (plz Xcuse da sp3llin'):

014.jpg

71 West
L @ Hamilton Pool Rd
L @ Crumley Ranch Rd
R @ Fitzhugh
L @ McGregor
R @ 290 West
L @ Holder
R @ Creek Rd
L @ 165
L @ 165 Loop
R @ 165
R @ Chandler/4th St. in Blanco
L @ Main St./Hwy 281
R @ Taco place (yo no se nombre pero tienen tres tacos for $2.99 y muey bien)

015.jpg

frpm the taco place.....
R @ Main St/Hwy 281
L @ PR102/River Rd
L @ Kendalia Rd/Old Blanco Rd
Straight across at Stop sign/Old Blanco Rd
R @ 473
R @ Sisterdale Rd/FM1376
L @ 473
R @ Old Hwy 9/Old San Antonio Rd
R @ Grapetown Rd
L @ FM1376
R @ Luckenbach Town Loop
Straight to the bar

016.jpg

017.jpg

After talking and swapping stories with friends (Andres [BMW 1000], Bubba [BMW 1200] {both of Blanco fame} and Ian [Triumph Tiger] and Greg (?) [Triumph Tiger Explorer] and others that were at Luckenbach) we headed back down the road.

From Luckenbach Town Loop:
L @ FM1376
L @ Old San Antonio Rd
L @ 290 West
R @ N Llano Rd/Hwy 16
L @ Lower Crabapple
R @ Eckert Rd
R @ Hwy 16
L @ FM 1323
L @ Willow City Loop
Turn around at Hwy 16 and do Willow City Loop again

Because of time constraints we skipped Willow City/Click Rd and some fine dirt roads in Llano County.

From Willow City Loop Stop sign
Staight on FM 1323
L @ Althause-Davis Rd/RR 3347 (A-D starts as paved road then becomes dirt road and then becomes pavement again when it becomes RR 3347)
R @ 962
Straight across Hwy 281 to Bird Ln (in Round Mountain) (this is where KosmicKLR spilt off [South onto Hwy 281] to go home)
L @ 962
After crossing Cypress Creek (?) in Cypress Mill:
L @ 962/Hamilton Pool Rd/FM 3238
R @ Hwy 71
L @ RR 620 (this is where Lamar568 went straight on Hwy 71 to go home)

Thanks for riding folks.........'til next time............

Adios!
bikejones

Re: Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip 06/24/2012

Looks like y'all had a long weekend too.:flip: Love the RDS plugs on the plates, and the XXXX on the sport bike.:lol2:

You might should edit out the date on this post and have a thread for after all these rides. One of the best ever rides EVER today. Far more challenging than any I have been on.

Re: Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip Ride Reports

You might should edit out the date on this post and have a thread for after all these rides. One of the best ever rides EVER today. Far more challenging than any I have been on.

Yes Sir....I just realized that date snafu myself. I will have to request some devine intervention from the mods, as I cannot edit the original title.

A Mighty Fine.......Challenging.....Ride................

Starting on a comfortable, sunny and clear Sunday morning in Bee Caves Texas, Lamar568, GlockPointer, jmark7 and I headed deeper into the Texas Hill Country for a day of riding some of the awesome dirt roads this area has to offer.

086.jpg

Although there were many creek crossings, only a few actually had water in them. What is most surprising is that only the shortest, wet creek crossing gave all of us an agility test…..i.e. a little slippage here…..a little slippage there……..everyone was able to defy the affects of gravity and stayed upright.

A few of the dirt roads had the perfect amount of moister so that they were not dusty or muddy….others were dry, yet not dusty.

The usual critters were out in the open range cows, deer, fox, road runners and even a lonely bull snake crossing the road……that everyone avoided running over.

After a short break in Click Texas, as seen in the photo below*, we continued along CR315 and traversed GlockPointers favorite creek crossings with the +/-100 yard sand pits.

087.jpg

*We came to a conclusion that these rides will have to include more photo-op stops in order to share these experiences.

We experienced a few light sprinkles along CR113 and CR112. However, it seemed that every turn we made onto another road got us out of the rain.

Only on one of the longer, wetter creek crossings, with a deeper beginning, did any of us (jmark7 on his GS1200) succumb to the gravitational pull of the earth…….and this was only after he reached the other side. Albeit dry…..the other side was a treacherous mix of very loose sand and small gravel in the middle and along the sides of the tire tracks formed by cages. Jmark7 was able to hold on to his bike without it going completely down. Lamar568 and I came to his aid but jmark7 and Lamar568 had the GS upright just as I got there. With a little spin of the back tire in the loose sand and gravel, jmark7 was on his way…..only to have to turn around and do the creek crossing again.

For you see, this particular creek crossing, on Threadgill Creek Road, was just outside of our travels, yet within view of GlockPointer......which means…….”if you can see it……..you must ride through it”……so ride we did.

We continued on our travels down Jack Rabbit Road…...or as it were……..Onward Through The Fog…..uh…I mean….Onward Through The Rain.

Yes, at this point we could clearly see the thunderheads we had so luckily avoided, until now. The looming rain did not matter to us at this point because we were on a mission.

You see, the original plan was to eat lunch at Coopers in Llano because we didn’t think we could make it to the Doss Country Store before they closed at 2:00 p.m. However, it was only a few minutes after 1:00 p.m. and we had already decided earlier in the ride to change our route and eat in Doss Texas.

After having some fine food and “a side order of bad attitude” at the Doss Country Store, we continued on our travels down Doss Springs Creek Road, Crenwelge Road, Pecan Creek Road and Loudon Road.

From Loudon Road and HWY 290, we traveled east on HWY 290 to Fred’sburg in the pouring rain. After a brief stop under a gas pump awning, jamark7 put on his rain gear and was heading back to Houston. We all thanked him for coming along on the ride and wished him a safe trip back to Houston.

The rain had let up slightly and the temperature had dropped noticeably so that we made a pilgrimage to Luckenbach for some anti-freeze so that we could warm up from the inside-out.

After warming up at Luckenbach, the rain had stopped and we found a dry line on the weather radar. So we continued east on HWY 290 into Johnson City and then down RR2766.

We rode a very welcome, warm and sunny stretch of RR2766, which eventually becomes Blanco CR201 and then Hays CR101 (aka: Fitzhugh Rd)……which eventually became very, very wet and cold…….again……due to the ominous thunderhead that crossed our path.

From there on, the rest of the ride had some dry patches of roadway and some wet patches of roadway.

Thanks jmark7 (Jay), Lamar568 (Lamar) and GlockPointer (Frazier) for the awesome adventure,
Britt

:tab I sure wish I could get away to do more rides like this. They are so much fun.

Here is Lamar taking our picture, fearless leader Britt, Lamar wonders where his life has taken him, yankee prints left in sand, another look at the crossing

Attachments

• DSCN1169-400.jpg
    DSCN1169-400.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN1176-400.jpg
    DSCN1176-400.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN1175-400.jpg
    DSCN1175-400.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN1174-400.jpg
    DSCN1174-400.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN1172-400.jpg
    DSCN1172-400.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 306

Here we are at lunch at 2pm, a benign looking storm system soon becomes a tropical storm. From here on out it was too rainy to document on film.

Attachments

• DSCN1178-400.jpg
    DSCN1178-400.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN1177-400.jpg
    DSCN1177-400.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 280

Another excellent ride, after BikeJones and the others headed for home we pressed on and found all kinds of fun. I have now dumped the bike in two different rivers. James River claims another victory.

Another excellent ride, after BikeJones and the others headed for home we pressed on and found all kinds of fun. I have now dumped the bike in two different rivers. James River claims another victory.

Too bad you didn't bring your camera on this ride. :doh:

Re: Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip 07/22/2012

Sunday 07/22/2012 Austin Hill County Dual Sport Day Trip :rider:

Started with 7 riders......picked up two more riders in Click, Texas....Brett and Ryan.

It's a small world. Turns out Brett and I were both involved in the Texas Mountain Bike Racing Assoc. racing series for a few years. He raced a more advance class than I did.

In short....another fine....fun ride.....the weather was actually cool due to a slightly cloudy sky.

There were still a few slippery creek crossings....I crossed one that turned by bike sideways but was able to ride it on through with the front tire crossed up and the back sliding around to the right.

Since I had to be back at the house by 3 (got there at 2) some of the other guys went different directions for more riding and others headed back to their homes.

But enough jibber jabber.......as promised.......we took more pics on this trip....I still could have....or rather.........should have......taken more.

So sit back and enjoy the pics.........MudClod has more pics as well.....I'm sure he will post them soon. :clap:

If anyone else on the ride has pics you want to share....please post'em up.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

072.jpg

Curious, how did the tires on the white 990 do? Simliar tires to mine.

BTW, thanks for the pics, make me want to ride!!

Another awesome ride today. The weather actually felt cool.

We went down a few dead end roads that were well worth it.

Matter of fact.......they were so good we rode them twice……..once down and once back. :rofl:

Only a few little wet creek crossing remain…..and they’re still slimey…..but no falls…….and no falls in any loose stuff on the roads.

rlcanon, Lamar568, GlockPointer and I met up at Backwoods in Bee Cave Texas………

DSC05633.jpg

We rode out 962 to CR301 to Hwy 281 and met up with Infidel at the Shell in Round Mountain Texas (on Hwy 281)……..

DSC05634.jpg

Mini Enchanted Rock…….

DSC05635.jpg

Cave in a cliff in the distance………

DSC05637.jpg

Random shots along the ride........

DSC05639.jpg

DSC05640.jpg

DSC05641.jpg

DSC05642.jpg

DSC05643.jpg

DSC05646.jpg

Bikes at the quarry lake…….

DSC05647.jpg

GlockPointer demonstrating how to turn around on a hill………

DSC05649.jpg

DSC05650.jpg

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05652.jpg

DSC05653.jpg

DSC05654.jpg

I had a blast riding with you guys today. This is a skilled group of dirt riders. We spent the day in the gravel and powder at high speeds and came away clean to tell about it....

LEts put together a group trip up to hidden falls....man im ready for that anytime...the gravel roads thing is not satisfying my dirt needs....I want some hill climbing, technical stuff...when it gets cooler lets do a weekend camping trip out there....

Well I hope you didn't see the rain we saw after we left Fredburg today. We got hammered by a typhoon, almost unrideable conditions.
Some of todays highlights; roadside repair, two dumped bikes, torrential rain and a buzzard puked on me.

Well I hope you didn't see the rain we saw after we left Fredburg today. We got hammered by a typhoon, almost unrideable conditions.
Some of todays highlights; roadside repair, two dumped bikes, torrential rain and a buzzard puked on me.
Sounds like y'all had an eventful day! :eek2: :lol2: PICS!!!
The rain hasn't quite made it here but lots of lightning :storm: to the west.

Here is a few to tyde you over..

Attachments

• DSCN1229-400.jpg
    DSCN1229-400.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCN1227-400.jpg
    DSCN1227-400.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCN1223-400.jpg
    DSCN1223-400.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN1222-400.jpg
    DSCN1222-400.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN1232-400.jpg
    DSCN1232-400.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 323

I laughed all the way home as I rode just outside the edges of that monster storm I knew yall had to be riding through...I just barley skirted another one at 87 and IH-10, turned southeast in front of it and watched another massive cell pass in front of me just south of Boerne...as I entered Stone Oak the lightning was flashing but the trailing edge of that cell was just a few hundred yards ahead of me....I came home with barely a drop and was dry when I pulled into the garage....I wondered about you guys....I knew you got hammered going through that beast of a storm....that was a memorable ride...

and dont forget I had a steer try his best to knock me off my bike at full speed...but he missed...just barely...

Back