• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trips

I, by no means, am trying to be everyone's nanny but, one of the most important things that motorcyclists need to invest in is good boots. Hiking or combat boots just don't cut it. I have had more friends riding careers cut short by foot injuries than all others combined. I know good boots are expensive but, they are well worth the money.

Just looking out for my brothers and sisters out there!

Healthcare is ffor the wealthy, I will be walking it off.

Healthcare is more affordable now if a person just commits to paying for it.........in Obama's world, if you don't buy his healthcare you will be fined $$$ until you do buy it........."Sign de papers old man!" :lol2:

• I have an orthopedic boot, approximate size 10, that I will gladly trade you for a cane.
  • You could atleast go to LT Fire and Rescue in the hood and have them take a look at it. It would be free and they might be able to confirm whether anything is actually broken or not....and that would be a good thing to know.
  • Check out this medical place......closest one is in Anderson Mill on 620. Check out the "Prompt Pay Discounted Pricing

LOCATION.......

Scott and White is charging "facility fees " that are outside of the copay, medical fees, etc. These fees can be up to $3000 per visit. When stalincare care really hits, its going to be a mess. But hey, we have to pass the bill to find out whats in it...

I consulted with Dr. Pepper yesterday, the only guy I could afford.
I looked at the bike and all the scratches are still there, my foot is healing on its own. Money was spent on the bike.
Some MX boots do sound pretty good. I'm going to get a pair and send them back to Sunday when I could've used them, thus the injury will dissappear.

Just saw this. My foot is nearly healed, still some stuff clunking around in there and I'm still limping. I could surely ride but not as fast as I would like. I sttill need to do the work on the bike including tires. Hows the knee coming along?

It sounds like my knee is healing up about as fast as your foot. Its sore when i dont move it much. I cant kneel down without it hurting pretty good too. It was still messed up from an accident i had 10yrs ago. I think i just made that worse. If it doesnt get any better i guess im going to see a doctor about it.

Glockpointer, I hope your injury heals in time for our Junction trip on the 25th-27th. We are going to include Hackberry and Bull Head roads on our route. These are some excellent dirt rides, just your type...

Until then keep the weight off of it...and buy some MX boots...cycle gear has em starting at 116.00 for Oneal Elements...

T

Thanks Trace! I bought some Fox comp 5s, I'm breaking them in around the house. Not sure about Junction yet.

Blast from the Past........03032013

Once again an awesome ride with awesome riders…….no spills but there were a few thrills. :clap:

We also delivered the walking cane, that the proprietor of the Castell Country Store lent to GlockPointer after he become one with a steel rail fence :zen: and tweaked his ankle, back to its original owner.

Here are a few of us at the meeting place………behind Backwoods in Bee Caves Texas….on the Hwy 71 West side of the store.

IMG-20130303-00601_zps19f4b9d0.jpg

We proceeded to head west to meet up with sm42 and cjm12 in Round Mountain and eventually meet up with slowoldguy in Castell.

After meeting up with sm42 and cjm1219 in Round Mountain we headed down the pavement just a few more miles to get to the dirt……..

DSC06571_zps9fb7d45b.jpg

IMG-20130303-00602_zpsb73c523d.jpg

Even though it was the day after Texas Independence Day………I couldn’t resist this photo-op……..Texas runs deep in me.......very deep.

DSC06572_zps290511f5.jpg

Playing around in Sandy Creek…….

IMG-20130303-00604_zpscfe6fa59.jpg

After riding through the short water crossing in Sandy Creek, Ken wanted to show us how he uses his motorcycle to dig for water in the dry section of the creek bed…….notice the moisture in the sand…….it also serves as a bike stand so that you can dismount and assess the progress.

DSC06573_zps375ebbba.jpg

DSC06574_zpsd16afd84.jpg

DSC06575_zpsc58fb4c0.jpg

While we were still in Sandy Creek, slowoldguy came upon us on his way to meeting us in Castell.

Everything was going well until we got to the intersection of 2323 and CR109.

I turned on my blinker and started to turn right on CR109……but my thinking process kicked in……..I was thinking about CR106 so since I didn’t see the CR106 sign I turned off the blinker and kept going straight down 2323 for a few miles until I finally remembered that you have to go down 109 to get to 106…….duh!

So we backtracked to CR109……..and that folks………was the adventure part of the ride. :rider:

We got to Castell………returned the cane…….and had some great steaks……Good Times!!!

DSC06576_zpsf21f9dd4.jpg

IMG-20130303-00605_zps2cbaafc3.jpg

IMG-20130303-00606_zpsc5362aa9.jpg

While eating lunch I got a chance to get some valuable advice from oldslowguy about some of the dirt roads in this area.

We had a couple of bikes with 2 gallon tanks that were in need of petro…..so after lunch we headed to Llano to top off the gas tanks……..and oldslowguy headed back to West of Waco.

After topping off the tanks in Llano we rode a few un-paved and paved county roads then ended up at Angel’s in Spicewood to let the bikes cool down.

IMG-20130303-00607_zpsb6bef871.jpg

Awesome ride y’all………let’s do it again soon!

03/16/13 ATHCDSDT Ride Report

On a day that you could not ask for better weather…….maybe a little less wind…….but not better weather…….another Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip was logged into the record book.

Saucesquatch, my6 and I met at Backwoods in Bee Caves, made our formal acquaintances, discussed various motorcycle topics, and at 9:15am we proceeded to ride into the wind………literally!!!!!

031613a_zps3395957f.jpg

Our destination…………..Castell.

Our purpose………….because it is there…….and because they have BBQ.

We were riding against the clock on this trip, so we didn’t stop for too many pictures or breaks.

We did stop to top off the tanks at the Shell in Round Mountain and were quickly on our way again at 10:15am.

Our route took us down the ever so scenic county roads in this area……….including CR315…….

031613b_zps7710dbb5.jpg

The locals must have known we were riding against the clock…………so they made sure that this ride through open range included a typical Texas Traffic Jam……..

031613c1_zps43b6f757.jpg

This particular traffic jam immediately transformed into a Texas Traffic Calming Device……whereas the cows proceeded to walk down the middle of the road………and would not move to either side to allow us to pass………..for a quarter of a mile or so. I was tempted to ride the bar ditch and pass them but I didn’t want to make them run.

031613c2_zpsf3807ae2.jpg

After all………a fat cow is a tasty cow………..I mean……a happy cow.

There were quite a few wet creek crossings…………one of which Saucesquatch tested his riding skills by sliding sideways…….with the shiny side up of course.

Here is the classic and ever so popular Sandy Creek crossing where Saucesquatch………and then my6…………really made a splash……..

Saucesquatch………
031613d1_zpsf3c3bd45.jpg

031613d2_zpse9d1bff1.jpg

031613d3_zps434e8f75.jpg

031613d4_zps014f255c.jpg

my6……..
031613e1_zps80c74f18.jpg

031613e2_zps41d4998b.jpg

031613e3_zps43b42421.jpg

031613e4_zpsca078df4.jpg

031613e5_zps80be83bf.jpg

031613e6_zpsbd6342a1.jpg

We stopped briefly in Sandy Creek to discuss the exposed rocks on the hills we had passed. I mentioned to Saucesquatch and my6 that one of the hills appears to have a cave that you can see from the county road.

After arriving in Castell at approximately 12:10pm, we were very lucky to find an empty picnic table in the shade…..which we gladly shared with other folks.

031613f_zpsfa8b1c7b.jpg

Soon after we ate, we were on the road again, headed back to Austin. To save time, our plan was to take the same route….however……..I took a wrong right turn (as opposed to a correct left turn) which lead us a couple of miles out of the way. We could have proceeded the way we were going, but it would have added more time to our travels, so we doubled back the way we came.

This slight detour gave us the opportunity to ride some 4” inch +/- thick sugar sand.

Once we were back on track, we stopped to see the cave in the hill. While we were stopped, we were passed by a half dozen jeeps going in the opposite directions……at least they were a friendly bunch of folks as we all said hi, hello and howdy as they went on their way.
We proceeded down CR315 to 308 and 310 to take Saucesquatch to HWY 71 so he could make a little better time getting back to Austin.

My6 and I backtracked up 310 and 310A.

When we got to 3347, we planned on doing a loop along Smith/West Road to 1323 to CR307 and back up Hwy 281 to get gas at the Shell.

However, my6’s gas tank had a different plan.

After switching to reserve while riding down 3347……then………..a mile or two later on 972……….my6 had to lean the bike over to get to the special reserve……...then again in another mile or so…….we leaned the bike over into the bar ditch to get to the extra special reserve…….

Therefore, my6’s gas tank decided that we would get gas first………then do 281 to 307 to 1323 to Smith/West Rd and back to 972.

Still, it was a great addition to the ride……..my6 and I even did a slight detour to a granite quarry with a very enticing pond……..enticing on a hotter day in the near future that is.

As with all of these rides….we encountered a lot of wildlife……..of special interest were the 8 to 10 deer that jumped a fence within a safe distance yet close enough to have to slow down and proceeded to crossed the road and jump the other fence………another instance was a half dozen or so turkeys that took flight as we got close to them. Several times we were in the close vicinity of skunks…..you can tell by their smell in the air…..but luckily we didn’t encounter them directly.

It was great meeting and riding with you Saucesquatch and my6…….let’s do it again,
Britt

And from Saucesquatch......

Had a blast today, we have to do this again soon.

20130316_103218.jpg

20130316_103221.jpg

20130316_105101.jpg

20130316_110734.jpg

20130316_132239.jpg

20130316_141936.jpg

20130316_141950.jpg

P.S. I've been burping that BBQ all day and smiling like only good 'Q can do. :mrgreen:

Britt... Thanks again for helping me lift her back up after we laid her over. Mission ONE this week is to drain my tank and see what the problem is with both my petcocks. When I gassed up it only took a wee bit over 3 gallons. Lets see now, 160 miles on 3+ a smidge gallons means I was getting darn close to 50+/mpg. If that's possible it's not too shabby for the old girl I'm thinking. Funny thing I noticed when I got to the house, both my wrists were sunburned between where my gloves and my long sleeve jersey. I can't wait for the next time. Also, when I looked at the Google map as to where we had ridden I noticed that we were pretty close to where my wife's family ranch is in Hext. Ever been out that way?

5/5/13......A Tribute to Ashton "Ash" Edwards.

Breakfast in Blanco.......

AshatBlancoBowlingAlley5_5_13_zps8375ed63.jpg

Takin a break at Hillbilly's.......

AshandhisredSportsteratHillbillys5_5_13_zpsb46dae52.jpg

Under the mighty oaks at the Albert Ice House........

AshatAlbertIceHouse5_5_13_zps7ca9990a.jpg

On a steel horse he'll ride..........

AshsredSportsteratAlbertIceHouse5_5_13_zpse7d6075d.jpg

Rest in Peace.........

AshatBlancoBowlingAlley5_5_13_zps8375ed63.jpg

---------------------------------------------------

Silence........

002_zpsa4560d0f.jpg

008_zpsd4505824.jpg

004_zps0cc04b7d.jpg

011_zps6147ff58.jpg

009_zps39779d74.jpg

012_zps9b5d47b7.jpg

014_zps63083610.jpg

019_zpsd13906d6.jpg

020_zpsd402762c.jpg

AshsredSportsteratAlbertIceHouse5_5_13_zpse7d6075d.jpg

AshatAlbertIceHouse5_5_13_zps7ca9990a.jpg

Another Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip has come and gone with nothing but good riding with good friends.

I didn't have the opportunity to take any action shots or scenery shots as we were riding the whole time with brief pit stops in Blanco for breakfast and Luckenbach for libations.

It was a great ride with KosmicKLR, Lamar568, GlockPointer and myself in attendance.

Here is the roll chart starting from Hwy 71 W @ RR620 (plz Xcuse da sp3llin'):

014.jpg

71 West
L @ Hamilton Pool Rd
L @ Crumley Ranch Rd
R @ Fitzhugh
L @ McGregor
R @ 290 West
L @ Holder
R @ Creek Rd
L @ 165
L @ 165 Loop
R @ 165
R @ Chandler/4th St. in Blanco
L @ Main St./Hwy 281
R @ Taco place (yo no se nombre pero tienen tres tacos for $2.99 y muey bien)

015.jpg

frpm the taco place.....
R @ Main St/Hwy 281
L @ PR102/River Rd
L @ Kendalia Rd/Old Blanco Rd
Straight across at Stop sign/Old Blanco Rd
R @ 473
R @ Sisterdale Rd/FM1376
L @ 473
R @ Old Hwy 9/Old San Antonio Rd
R @ Grapetown Rd
L @ FM1376
R @ Luckenbach Town Loop
Straight to the bar

016.jpg

017.jpg

After talking and swapping stories with friends (Andres [BMW 1000], Bubba [BMW 1200] {both of Blanco fame} and Ian [Triumph Tiger] and Greg (?) [Triumph Tiger Explorer] and others that were at Luckenbach) we headed back down the road.

From Luckenbach Town Loop:
L @ FM1376
L @ Old San Antonio Rd
L @ 290 West
R @ N Llano Rd/Hwy 16
L @ Lower Crabapple
R @ Eckert Rd
R @ Hwy 16
L @ FM 1323
L @ Willow City Loop
Turn around at Hwy 16 and do Willow City Loop again

Because of time constraints we skipped Willow City/Click Rd and some fine dirt roads in Llano County.

From Willow City Loop Stop sign
Staight on FM 1323
L @ Althause-Davis Rd/RR 3347 (A-D starts as paved road then becomes dirt road and then becomes pavement again when it becomes RR 3347)
R @ 962
Straight across Hwy 281 to Bird Ln (in Round Mountain) (this is where KosmicKLR spilt off [South onto Hwy 281] to go home)
L @ 962
After crossing Cypress Creek (?) in Cypress Mill:
L @ 962/Hamilton Pool Rd/FM 3238
R @ Hwy 71
L @ RR 620 (this is where Lamar568 went straight on Hwy 71 to go home)

Thanks for riding folks.........'til next time............

Adios!
bikejones

You guys missed the best part of the Hill Country dirt roads out in Llano county. Looks like someone needs to by Richard Gibbens' Texas Hill Country Ride Guide.

You guys missed the best part of the Hill Country dirt roads out in Llano county. Looks like someone needs to by Richard Gibbens' Texas Hill Country Ride Guide.

Hey Doghouse....we're always ridin around Fred'sburg....and we are usually in Llano and Mason Counties......but once and while we venture into Gillespie and Blanco Counties.

They are all beautiful parts of Texas one and all.....but Blanco and Gillespie have pert'near paved every square inch of dirt roads out there.

The particular ride you posted about was one of our rare dirtless excursions......but it was fun nonetheless.

Go to this thread and follow along....or....post up on the ride link and meet us out there somewhere......someday.....and ride it for real.....

I'm puttin a new rear tire on the bike and need to do a ride out that way this weekend.

Stay tuned....I'm kind of leaning toward Saturday 6/8/13.....but Sunday is ok with me if that's when most folks want to ride.

Remember go to this thread...... for the ride info

Well.......it's been one year since these rides started and every one of them has been great.

However, back in May, after some us had left Albert Ice House, a few riders stayed behind. When they left Albert and were on their way home to Blanco, sadly, one young man, Ash, failed to negotiate a curve and perished. That was a very somber ending to what had been a great day.

So as kojack06 said....."Be alert and safe!"

thunter (Tyler) and I met up today (06/08/2013) at Backwoods in Bee Caves.

We were treated with an aerial enticement...........

050_zpscb48a6f4.jpg

thunter and his 2013 R1200------------nice!!!!!

051_zpsf66b3cf9.jpg

054_zps787d3e4b.jpg

066_zps41132b4f.jpg

075_zpsb71ecb0c.jpg

077_zps1191a11a.jpg

086_zps5899e536.jpg

091_zps556d8b35.jpg

127_zps14fe4971.jpg

140_zpsf3d5dae7.jpg

My buddy the bull......

A few weeks ago he....or one of his friends thought it would be cool to chase me down the road.

Well today he was standing guard at the cattle guard.

Actually.....he was eyeing some female bovines that were hanging out on the other side of the cattle guard.

He let me snap a couple of pics of him before I herded him off the road and over to the fence line so we could ride by without any trouble.

099_zps320428c2.jpg

106_zps910ae546.jpg

A much more docile setting.............

137_zpse0ae82c8.jpg

Good Times!!!!!

Thanks thunter!

Got up Sunday morning wanting to ride, and decided it had been too long since I headed west. Finally got out of the house around noon-ish and headed out 71 to CR310 through Click to CR315. Took 16 up to Llano and out FM152 to Castell. Then down Keyserville Rd to House Mountain Rd. CR113 back over to CR315 and down CR310/Althaus Davis Rd. I was disappointed when the pavement began on CR310, but I had forgotten what a fun piece of asphalt that is. Was tempted to add a few more gravel roads, but didn't want to race daylight and wanted to get home and soak in the pool, so headed back 1323 to CR301/Cypress Mill and back into town on Hamilton Pool. A quick but fun afternoon. Didn't see Britt's bull, but the longhorns were around as usual, plus a few critters darting across the road here and there. Two little snot crossings and a mud puddle is the extent of the water the whole day. Of course I didn't stop for any pictures - will have to get better at that.

I guess y'all know that the remaining dirt portion of Round Mountain - Sandy Road is being paved. Sad!

7/28/13....folks from San Antonio, Lake Travis, Georgetown, Killeen, Hamilton, Robinson and Waco met up to ride some dirt roads and eat some steak in Castell......mighty fine!

Hella ride guys, thanks for letting me catch up once in a while. I think slowoldguy's group's throttles are stuck wide open though.

ynasybum.jpg

esesuda8.jpg

da2yryme.jpg

Somewhere out there........got sand?

outthere3_zps58fc9b80.jpg

Back