• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin to Alaska ... July 2014

This is an amazing series of videos that 2 guys shot riding from Nebraska to Deadhorse in 2011. If that doesn't make you want to go do it for yourself... I'm not sure what will.

That music will make anyone want to do whatever's shown in the video! You could shoot a chess tournament or people knitting and Pirates would make it seem dramatic.

I watched the whole series through and bought a v-strom a week later.... this was going to happen.

Videos like that also motivated me to get an adventure bike. Looking forward to following!

Made it from Fairbanks to Katy in 5 days on a Honda ST 1100. Have a great time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That 3 digit number in your sig line means your a bit of a pro though. :clap:
It'll be hard to keep up that pace on a Weestrom

Brian, enjoy the ride. Be safe and have tales to tell.

I'm hoping I'll have 1 or 2 good ones after this. But, we all know motorcycle stories are like fishing stories and all statements should be considered D@mned Lies.

I see that 1190R made it into your sig line :eek2:

Ok, I've subscribed and will be following. If I ever get my bike to Texas when working or visiting my sister in Plano, will for sure head to the Austin area to do some riding. Good luck and safe travels!

Did San Antonio to Dawson City for D2D 2013, rear tire change in Anchorage ( I mailed a take-off to the Suzuki shop), and back to San Antonio via Inside Passage from Haines to Prince Rupert, 27 days and had time to spare. Did it on a 2004 Wee, no oil burn, no oil change, 50+ mpg avg (OK, it was running lean).

Anyone interested can read about it here:
http://www.wtrrtw.net/Elephant1.html

or here (short version)
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910984

Did San Antonio to Dawson City for D2D 2013, rear tire change in Anchorage ( I mailed a take-off to the Suzuki shop), and back to San Antonio via Inside Passage from Haines to Prince Rupert, 27 days and had time to spare. Did it on a 2004 Wee, no oil burn, no oil change, 50+ mpg avg (OK, it was running lean).

Anyone interested can read about it here:
http://www.wtrrtw.net/Elephant1.html

or here (short version)
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910984

Nice Write up on the trip.
I hope your buddy is doing better.

My Wee is an '04 as well.... only 13,000 miles on it though. Bought it with 9K on it this February.

So,
The packing list was a bit sparse before... I'm going to try not to bore anybody with the details... just go with: yes, i'm bringing that stuff that I won't need and of course i've forgotten the one thing that I surely will. That's how it always goes anyways.

I think I've got everything needed to do a full teardown roadside if needed... except maybe the skill, patience... and time.
But, as my mother would say: "Brian, if the girls don't think your handsome, they should at least think your handy."
So, if something does break, it'll most likely look like this after I piece it back together.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHfytdq0BUvWDH5CZL7BPA1ghzkhtlz_lJTwMwKMxQyfyQ64hg.jpg

Re-waterproofed the suit last night, sprayed the camping gear down with permethrin (the chemical smell lets you know its working):shock:, and loaded up the bike.
20140629_162804.jpg

I got word back last night from advcycleworks that my K60's are waiting for me in fairbanks... hopefully I don't make them wait too long. Their prices are equal to what i could find here in Texas for tires and I don't have to worry about shipping anything... sweet.

Sounds like you are well prepared...I made the trip in 2006 with 1 set of tires...I did get a flat in Dawson City on the return, plugged the tubeless tire, added fix a flat and made back to Arlington with steel cords showing! Dumb I know. My riding partner rode a KLR, he got a new rear tire in Whitehorse on the way up...they had it one in stock. Go, have a great trip. With your touring experience I am sure this trip will be a breeze.

ADVcycleworks be good people. Sure did me right in 2012

ATGATT. Lee
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subscribed.

Have a great ride, and good luck with the weather up north. Do you have a spotwalla page?

I'm already wanting to go back... I'll be following you.

Brian - You are the toughest LD rider on TWTEX! Your endurance is simply amazing. I look forward to tracking your trip.

:clap:

The guys who boast about riding 700 to 800 miles on hard packed dirt are probably jealous by now.

:lol2:

Safe Travels,

RB

Heck yea. Just finished reading your 48 states report, and looking forward to this one.

Brian - You are the toughest LD rider on TWTEX! Your endurance is simply amazing. I look forward to tracking your trip.

:clap:

The guys who boast about riding 700 to 800 miles on hard packed dirt are probably jealous by now.

:lol2:

Safe Travels,

RB
Thanks but There are guys on this site with 3 digit IBA #. I think they've got me beat for LG riding by a fair bit.

Back