• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin-Travis County EMS Motorcycles Revealed

jtm133

Reaction score
MEDIA ADVISORY
EMS MOTORCYCLE NEWS CONFERENCE
Friday, January 23, 2009
10:00 AM

Austin/Travis County EMS HQ Vehicle Compound
Rebekah Baines Johnson Building
15 Waller Street

Greater Austin Crime Commission representatives, former Austin Mayor Roy Butler and Joe Holt, will present Austin/Travis County EMS with two specially-equipped motorcycles (valued at $25,000) to improve downtown, highway and special event emergency medical response.

===================

worthless.gif

Perfect chance to try out my new camera that just arrived in the big brown truck yesterday....

canon-powershot-sx110-is-front-back.jpg

I would like to take this opportunity to complain about the deceptive nature of the thread title. It would be more accurate if it said
"Austin-Travis County EMS Motorcycles to Be Revealed (but not today, so you can just wait)."

:angryfire

I was at Lone Star BMW and saw several Austin Police there with 2 guys picking up 850s. The guys on the 850s didn't have APD badges.

Initially the plan would be to use them on larger scale events with crowd issues. We have about 20 marathons, half-marathons, and bike races per year in addition to large athletic events concerts etc. that make a small, nimble bike the preference. The ability to function on grass, gravel and dirt will figure highly into the plans as will curbs and small steps. Primary 911emergency response is not the immediate goal, although it could evolve into that.

Hot digity! I could fancy being an APD man if it involved riding GSPD's.

Hmmmm. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/recruiting/reqs.htm

I'm just young enough. I meet the other qualifications. The local community college has a TECLOSE program. My wife and daughters have kinda been wanting to move to Austin. Hmmmm.

Excellent, I hadn't heard that the funding came through. Of course now you have to worry about the riders at EMS going, "It's my turn to ride it!" :rider:

I wonder if this means that Squeaky is going to go EMS so she can get a turn? :lol2:

I wonder if this means that Squeaky is going to go EMS so she can get a turn? :lol2:

Nope, but my dad was an EMT when I was a kid. I liked playing with the sirens when he would come home for coffee during his shift. :mrgreen:

We know Kurt has the pics... ;-) He already posted them once but had to pull them so they could "officially" be presented today. He must be at some lame presentation ceremony :roll:

I was planning on riding down to the presentation, figured that a picture of Kurt in full EMS motomedic regalia would be worth price of admission, but something came up that took precedence. Hopefully it will get into the local paper.

I don't have today's pictures yet, but here are the bikes before we sent them for graphics:

P7060003.jpg

P7060002.jpg

P7060001.jpg

I attended the press release, but intentionally avoided the camera by dressing in street clothes.

Good move Kurt... We know those cameras are cruel and can easily add 10-20 lbs... :-P

Hot digity! I could fancy being an APD man if it involved riding GSPD's.

Did you see the section: "Anarchists need not apply."? ;)

You should do it. You'd love it down here. If not APD, then TCSO.

Let's start by teasing a little bit....

...don't wanna rush off to full-frontal, dontchaknow.

460236454_Dga7s-M.jpg

460222212_rzcyX-M.jpg

Back