• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back from the Gap - Pictures & reports tomorrow!

Re: Leaving the GAP – Riding great roads

Gotta get the Trophy painted in that scheme.

305261948_QGpC4-L.jpg

The person who hits that bike can honestly say, "Officer, I just didn't see him."

Re: Leaving the GAP – Riding great roads

:):) That's why I have to follow this forum closely, It's where I get most of my miles. You need to keep making great trips, so we can all benefit. Great work!

What!! I've been somewhere Bo hasn't been:ponder:

Thanks for posting up that ride report... its actually made up our minds to head out that way at the end of the month. We are going to stop off at 29 dreams on saturday night and were wondering what the layout was like. From their website I cant get a very good idea as most of the pics are of bikes. Thanks...Jeff

Thanks for posting up the story and pics. We are heading to the Gap in the fall towards the end of September. There are 8 of going, 4 couples on 7 bikes. We have a house rented for a week just outside Robbinsville. This will be our 2nd trip to the Dragon. We went in '06, had a ball. It rained some on us too, but it didn't dampen our spirits.
Marty

Re: long, hot and flat what a day!

Friday May 30
Manchester TN – Clarksville AR

We got up and started to move pretty early as we knew that this day would be our longest of the trip. We would be doing 550+ miles. This is a long day for me and Jamie. I have never been one of those guys who could do the Iron Butt thing. I love riding, but I remember what my father told me years ago. He said if you ride to the point of non enjoyment you have rode too long. I have to agree 300-400 miles is a good day for us.

We shot down 64 in TN, passing thru great places like Lynchburg (the home of jack Daniels) Lawrenceburg the place that Davey Crockett called home. I love traveling the back roads and seeing small town America. It sure beats the interstate.

305275789_LS6hg-L.jpg

305277560_yHPxo-L.jpg

305277754_xkPPi-L.jpg

305277911_rVxSH-L.jpg

Well it was a long hot day and I got bored a few times, so I took some shots of the boys going down the road.

305278127_R99jH-L.jpg

305278305_MGHNS-L.jpg

305278693_ZTcTz-L.jpg

We headed into Memphis and had to jump on I-40 to get out of that area as soon as possible. We did take some time to stop and get some Memphis BBQ. After that we slabbed thru Memphis and headed off towards Arkansas.

305279891_qqXnC-L.jpg

305280204_uFKQK-L.jpg

We could have cooked up this thing that was lodged into the bike when we stopped for lunch.
305279748_L87fn-L.jpg

The place that the Memphis Tigers play basketball, reminds me of the Luxor in Vegas.
305280525_9X4rB-L.jpg

305281340_YAJmk-L.jpg

We were going to take the side highways into Clarksville, but the day was going away faster than we had anticipated. So we decided to do the I-40 shuffle to Clarksville. We had called my brother Vern, while eating in Memphis and he went online and got us 3 rooms in the Super 8 in Clarksville so we were all set. It was hot and we wanted to get off the bikes. I-40 sucks! The truck traffic was awful. Non stop hustle and bustle and just crazy. Just another reason I avoid the super slab whenever possible.

We pulled into Plummerville about 60 miles from our destination and Rob realized that he had a flat tire…doh! We were in a gas station, so we moved the GT to the Air pump and began to look for the hole. We did not find a nail, but did find a good size hole. We pulled out the patch kit and then aired the GT up. We were back in on the road in 20 minutes. It was starting to get dark, so we headed out. We made it to Clarksville in record time. We walked over to the KFC and had dinner then took showers. Jamie and I wanted to check out the 24 hour XXX place next door to the hotel, but we were too tired. Maybe next time.

305282868_HgoFn-L.jpg

305283201_2Z3sH-L.jpg

305283534_pvcMb-L.jpg

Re: The trip ends - it was a great ride!

Saturday May 31
Clarksville to the house – Last day on the road.

We awoke with the knowledge that our trip was coming to an end. We were going to head over to Mt Magazine and then head down towards Mena and then home. I know our bikes can make this little jaunt without our input. We do this route on a regular basis. It is a good way to end the trip.

305283874_EAyhf-L.jpg

305284481_GnMnJ-L.jpg

305284806_ar3he-L.jpg

305286148_gCPdp-L.jpg

305286916_UJDpz-L.jpg

305287382_XpSBW-L.jpg

We rolled into Plano and the garage around 7:00PM. I was hot and my BUTT was killing me! That corbin seat, creates a few hot spots and I was hurting by the end of this trip. 2368 miles logged it was a great trip. I will write more of a summary sometime tomorrow. You all are probably ready for this report to end. Hehehe

305287850_YNfsw-L.jpg

Very nice, too bad I was not their. :clap: The picture are not bad either.

Welcome back. Your pictures bring back good memories of my 2006 trip to the Gap.

The GAP is on my "Bucket List".

Awesome write up and pics! Thanks!

Robbie

We hung out with another couple from Alabama that evening. Mike and Karry were a lot of fun. He was riding a full bagged Harley with a very cool trailer. It was made from an old fridge. It was very cool.
Was it fully functional as a fridge or just a cooler?

Thinking a small inverter generator and a deep cycle battery could make it into a functional fridge if it wasn't already...

:shock: Hard to believe this trip was 11 years ago!

:shock: Hard to believe this trip was 11 years ago!

I saw a picture in the top bar that brought me into the thread where I saw the cooler trailer and it got me thinking I might want to make something that still functions as a fridge that could be pulled behind the bike... I probably wont do it but its the idea of how I would do it that brought me to comment

I saw a picture in the top bar that brought me into the thread where I saw the cooler trailer and it got me thinking I might want to make something that still functions as a fridge that could be pulled behind the bike... I probably wont do it but its the idea of how I would do it that brought me to comment

If I remember it correctly it wasn’t a functional fridge. He just gutted it, put a mattress in it, turned it on it’s side and put wheels on it.

Back