• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back getting dirty - An ongoing report from down under

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Those gopro shots really came out well. I always forget to try stills on mine.
I usually am enjoying the ride so much I don't stop to take many photos. So I figured I'd try this out. I think the quality is ok. I did it at Kroombit Tops the week before for an hour and a half ( didn't post any). The drawback there is the amount of photos to trawl through later, but at least I still had photos.

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Hello all, my shed got flooded last week and I had to clean up after it all. I moved some bikes outside then just looked around and it dawned on me. My wife may be right, I may have a motorcycle addiction :). There were still three in the shed.:rider:

IMG_1171_zps8852b669.jpg

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Ok guys, I need your opinion on something. I was planning a ride South Australia and back. Would be about 7000 ks (4350mi) However my son expressed an interest in coming along, so I have decided to take the car instead. I can go on heaps of rides by myself later, but I may not always be able to with my son.

My question is, since I'm going to be taking a lot of photos and vids along the way, will I post them. Even though it isn't a motorcycle trip. I could start another thread or just put them in here. Let me know. :)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Why not make it a riding trip with your son? Or does he not ride? Either way, I agree, time with the son is the way to go. I would suggest you just keep adding stuff to this thread.

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Why not make it a riding trip with your son? Or does he not ride? Either way, I agree, time with the son is the way to go. I would suggest you just keep adding stuff to this thread.

Nick (my son) doesn't have his bike licence. The system over here is ridiculous. First you need 100 hours of car driving lessons before you can do the car test. Then when you get your car licence you have to hold it for 12 months, then you can get a bike learners. So to cut a long story short, we're taking the car :) .

Also 2 years ago he did a 6500k trip with me on the bandit and I don't think his backside has recovered yet lol.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Wow... 8 METERS over the dam wall?! That is a serious bit of water!! :eek2:

How'd the vacation with your son go?

saikhan

Forum Supporter
I went for a 300k (roughly) ride this afternoon to the Biloela Area to the west of Gladstone.

Almost all Bitumen, however part of the trip is an old coal haul road which is a good ride (twisty).

The coal road takes you past and eventually to the Callide dam and power station. I didn't take many photos, but heres a few. It was overcast and I got wet on the way home.

130413_5030_edited-1_zps9267706f.jpg

Part of Anlgo American coal mine.
130413_5017_edited-1_zps070d1ba5.jpg

The Dam and Power Station
130413_5023_edited-1_zps4b6597c2.jpg

A field. They grow cotton here.
130413_5032_edited-1_zpsb3b44da9.jpg

A tree I liked :). And grey clouds that didn't like me. Five minutes after this photo I was cold and wet.
130413_5040_edited-1_zps22fb7e27.jpg

Gratuitious bike photo, because I can. I know I know, the header needs cleaning. I keep forgetting.
130413_5035_edited-1_zps7219883d.jpg

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Bike looks purdy to me :shrug: :-P

What's the story on that sign in the back ground with the arrow and numbers on it? Terrorist threat level? Or some kind of environmental warning for coal dust?

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Bike looks purdy to me :shrug: :-P

What's the story on that sign in the back ground with the arrow and numbers on it? Terrorist threat level? Or some kind of environmental warning for coal dust?
Water restriction level. 2 is pretty good. You can water your lawn with a hand held hose, no sprinkler, pretty much anything goes. When they get around level 4 it starts getting tougher. No lawn watering, wash cars with bucket only and a set amount per day per house. If you exceed the amount they put restricters on your incoming pipes and drop the rate buy 70 percent and other draconian measures.

saikhan

Forum Supporter
OK, I'm going to post this ride in here even though its a Road trip. Next trip is dualsport though, for sure. If its an issue, let me know.

We decided to head for Yeppon, a coastal town to the North. 0800 was the time to meet at Calliope servo. When I left home the bike was indicating an outside temp of 1, yes, 1 goddammit degree :(. There are not many Queenslanders made for these temperatures, but I battled on :).

Upon arriving at the servo, myself and a couple of others waited for the rides organiser ( Noel) to turn up, as is the usual practice, :) It has been suggested that if Noel turns up on time, we should consider this a bad omen and immediately go home.

Anyway, by the time everyone was ready to go, it was a balmy 4 degrees and we gingerly set off on the Bruce highway. Gingerly, because it is school holidays here and during school holidays fines and demerit points are both doubled.

Also, I had some spots on my lens that I didn't notice.

[/URL][/IMG]
Noel on the R90.

[/URL][/IMG]
Waiting at the Calliope servo.

We took the tourist route to Yeppoon which takes you via Emu Park and Rosylyn Bay and has views of the ocean, so you can be staring at that instead of watching the road.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

We stopped at Yeppoon for lunch.

[/URL][/IMG]
Lunch eye view.

[/URL][/IMG]
Esplanade carpark.

[/URL][/IMG]
Mark's Harley.

[/URL][/IMG]
Noel, trying (we think) to hotwire the Harley :) .

[/URL][/IMG]
Raglan Tavern on way home.

[/URL][/IMG]
Noel's R90.

The R90 was purchased new by his dad in 1975 and last year his dad decided he was no longer able to safely ride anymore. So he passed it on to Noel who reconned it a bit and its still in the family. He has photos of the handover etc . Nice story I think.

Anyway, until next time.

Last edited:

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Well, I'm back. Anyone miss me lol :).

I was taken out by a flying motorcycle at speed. The rider wasn't aiming for me specifically, he hit a Toyota Hilux head on and the Hilux won. This is when he left to stage left and his bike took on a mind of its own and flew back across the road at me. This happened on the 12th of October. I am going for a ride today(on my new bike) and will post some photos. I may post some wreck photos, but not sure :) . Hope you all had a great Christmas. :)

JMZ

Well, I'm back. Anyone miss me lol :).

I was taken out by a flying motorcycle at speed. The rider wasn't aiming for me specifically, he hit a Toyota Hilux head on and the Hilux won. This is when he left to stage left and his bike took on a mind of its own and flew back across the road at me. This happened on the 12th of October. I am going for a ride today(on my new bike) and will post some photos. I may post some wreck photos, but not sure :) . Hope you all had a great Christmas. :)
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: We did miss you, glad your alright . I always enjoy your pics :clap:

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Glad you have recuperated. The crash sounds like an unlucky chain of events, yet lucky for you as you ride on another day.

Look forward to your continuing RR. Great pics and commentary.

:rider:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
I am glad you are back :thumb:

I was sitting around yesterday just musing and reflecting on time and the past when you and your son popped into my head. It was then that I realized you had not been on the site in a while and I had missed your reports.

Sorry to hear you were involved in an accident. Hopefully all is well now.

Definitely looking forward to more reports, DS or street ;-)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Looks remarkably like East Texas.
I was thinking the same thing. It is getting REAL brown here now that the rains finally stopped. My grass has gone from having to be mowed every few days to crunchy...

That is a good looking bike you have there!! Have you moved away from DS riding or is this just an addition to the stable?

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Took a short run down the highway to Bororen this morning and stopped at Lake Awoonga on the way back.

The Big Giraffe cafe at Bororen.
11%2008%2015_9345_zpsmucnxflb.jpg
"]
11%2008%2015_9345_zpsmucnxflb.jpg
[/URL]

A large Moreton Bay Fig tree across the road from the cafe.
11%2008%2015_9347_zps03hwqal1.jpg
"]
11%2008%2015_9347_zps03hwqal1.jpg
[/URL]

Lake Awoonga on the way back.
11%2008%2015_9361_zps6qkjblzi.jpg
"]
11%2008%2015_9361_zps6qkjblzi.jpg
[/URL]

11%2008%2015_9368_zpsoaxtq4pj.jpg
"]
11%2008%2015_9368_zpsoaxtq4pj.jpg
[/URL]

11%2008%2015_9359_zpsgorh619b.jpg
"]
11%2008%2015_9359_zpsgorh619b.jpg
[/URL]

A Bottle Brush flower. Banksia, named after Sir Joseph Banks, famous botanist.
11%2008%2015_9366_zpsfeekz0mr.jpg
"]
11%2008%2015_9366_zpsfeekz0mr.jpg
[/URL]

Sap "bleeding" from the Gum tree in the previous pics.
11%2008%2015_9376_zps5fe9arl0.jpg
"]
11%2008%2015_9376_zps5fe9arl0.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Back again. Been lurking, but not posting. Purchased a new bike so I went for a ride. :)

20160922_103433_zpsc4o7vwiv.jpg

One of the usual haunts - Lake Awoonga. About 50ks out the back.

20160922_103553_zpsmrbbkc9m.jpg

20160922_105814_zpsfxnoubel.jpg

20160922_105102_zpsmxy4qc9r.jpg

20160922_115348_zpspht6sywn.jpg

Many Peaks. Qld.

Anyway, I plan a lot more rides when this thing is run in. So expect to be bombarded with photos again. :)

Last edited:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
I like it! :thumb:

I've never seen that color scheme on the Tenere. Looks good!

All those hills in the distance... any roads over there...? :ponder:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Was your son riding the DR?

If so, you are lucky to be able to ride with him and share the adventures. I never got that opportunity with my Dad, but I am trying to make it happen with my kids. They are not yet old enough to ride street legal bikes, but they do ride on the back of my 1200GS and love it. I just returned from a seven day 1900 mile trip with my 11 year old daughter. We did a LOT of dirt roads through deserts, canyons and mountains. It was awesome. I think my ten year old son might like it as well, but I know he'd MUCH rather be riding on his own bike versus sitting behind me ;-) I only hope that when they are old enough to ride their own bikes that I am still able to ride and also have the opportunity to ride with them.

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Yes, number two son, (no preference, just order of birth) at least thats what I tell him :). It is hard to describe just how good it is to ride with him and the interaction that we have. it's the best. We use Sena 10s intercoms which helps.

Since he appears to enjoy riding I am going to sell the 2 drzs and buy a tenere 660 for him to ride. Bit better for the purpose of planned trips. The drzs will do it, they are indestructible. I just think a 660 will be better.

We are going to a place called Nindigully in October and thats a loooong way, about 1600 ks on a drz seat, lol. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to torture your children, but oh well. :)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
:tab I bought a pair of the Sena 20S headset before our trip. I haven't used communicators in about 15 years. I cannot believe how much better they are now!! I was VERY glad I did it. Beyond just the practical aspects of being able to communicate, it really added a lot to the overall enjoyment of the trip being able to talk with my daughter about the stuff we were seeing and to hear her impressions of everything. She could listen to music if she liked and even share it with me if I wanted. We used them pretty much non stop for about 9-10 hours a day and never even got a low battery alert. They recharged each evening in about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. They can even be used while plugged in if you have an appropriate outlet on the bike (USB or 12V DC). She REALLY liked having them.

:tab I do hope you will continue to share your adventures here. I've really enjoyed seeing your corner of the world.

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Went for a run through the tablelands near my place. Itook the DRZ because I didn't want to get the Tenere dirty (there, I said it). It rained during the night and I was expecting a lot more mud. It's only a month old and has road tyres on it lol. :)

Old cattle yards.
DSC_0124_zpsyljxg8qw.jpg

Dry creek bed.
DSC_0130_zpsyn3bbfs2.jpg

DSC_0132_zpsqxwuos9p.jpg

DSC_0133_zpsvjar2y6j.jpg

Small dam on cattle property.
DSC_0134_zpsihud0ull.jpg

DSC_0135_zpsvatr1dpf.jpg

DSC_0136_zpsqhikzraj.jpg

DSC_0138_zpsz7ftwugy.jpg

DSC_0141_zpsftngozax.jpg

DSC_0142_zpshneixxj4.jpg

High point of the road.
DSC_0144_zpstgcfngjt.jpg

DSC_0146_zpsktzakkjh.jpg

Last edited:

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Hi all. I recently went to Finchhatton Gorge and Eungulla for an overnight run.

0630 Just about to head off.
20161027_063630_zpsazna7qk9.jpg

Part of the road up. (And that's not a twisty bit)
DSC_0212_zps2scmc73r.jpg

At the entrance to the Gorge.
DSC_0165_zpsxqsndbev.jpg

One of the four causeways on the way to the Gorge. Sarah's Z800 dualsport. :)
DSC_0173_zpsvc73wcxv.jpg

Same causeway.
DSC_0194_zps634r5ldq.jpg

DSC_0199_zpsgpp2olcu.jpg

Hang glider launch point at the back of the chalet.
DSC_0206_zps0nolwzae.jpg

DSC_0207_zpskur3rsg8.jpg

The outside dining room at the chalet.
DSC_0218_zpsbswjono4.jpg

The two photos I sent my mates at work, who mostly started at 0530 that morning. :)
20161028_081308_001_zpsn6xgpefb.jpg

20161028_082041_zpsh4gmsjo5.jpg

Not a great shot, but it's amongst the clouds.
DSC_0231_zpshbi7ck0k.jpg

A spot called sky window.
DSC_0254_zpsxmsqspjl.jpg

Might add more later. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Sarah = wife?

Looks like a really cool place. It kind of reminds me of parts of the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina. The roads there are crazy twisty and the views awesome.

toolfooldan

Forum Supporter
Yes, more please. I visited Sydney 4 - 5 times on business. Sadly I never made it out of the (very clean) city to explore but I really enjoyed the friendly people there. Made a few friends at the local pub.