• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back getting dirty - An ongoing report from down under

Still blows my mind how much your photos look like some parts of Texas.

Thanks for the photos!

Those gopro shots really came out well. I always forget to try stills on mine.

Those gopro shots really came out well. I always forget to try stills on mine.

I usually am enjoying the ride so much I don't stop to take many photos. So I figured I'd try this out. I think the quality is ok. I did it at Kroombit Tops the week before for an hour and a half ( didn't post any). The drawback there is the amount of photos to trawl through later, but at least I still had photos.

Looks like fun! Is that your son you are riding with?

Hello all, my shed got flooded last week and I had to clean up after it all. I moved some bikes outside then just looked around and it dawned on me. My wife may be right, I may have a motorcycle addiction :). There were still three in the shed.:rider:

IMG_1171_zps8852b669.jpg

Ok guys, I need your opinion on something. I was planning a ride South Australia and back. Would be about 7000 ks (4350mi) However my son expressed an interest in coming along, so I have decided to take the car instead. I can go on heaps of rides by myself later, but I may not always be able to with my son.

My question is, since I'm going to be taking a lot of photos and vids along the way, will I post them. Even though it isn't a motorcycle trip. I could start another thread or just put them in here. Let me know. :)

Why not make it a riding trip with your son? Or does he not ride? Either way, I agree, time with the son is the way to go. I would suggest you just keep adding stuff to this thread.

Why not make it a riding trip with your son? Or does he not ride? Either way, I agree, time with the son is the way to go. I would suggest you just keep adding stuff to this thread.

Nick (my son) doesn't have his bike licence. The system over here is ridiculous. First you need 100 hours of car driving lessons before you can do the car test. Then when you get your car licence you have to hold it for 12 months, then you can get a bike learners. So to cut a long story short, we're taking the car :) .

Also 2 years ago he did a 6500k trip with me on the bandit and I don't think his backside has recovered yet lol.

Looks like that place gets some serious water flow at times judging by those leaned over trees :shock:

I went back to Pikes crossing and I remembered this post. A bit of water went through here. 8 metres over the dam wall. Water is destructive stuff.

010313_4422_edited-1_zps1fb2013b.jpg

010313_4417_edited-1_zps64093243.jpg

010313_4421_edited-1_zpsee2d1a21.jpg

010313_4411_edited-1_zpsa3b10a3e.jpg

010313_4410_edited-1_zps8b6dc562.jpg

010313_4409_edited-1_zpsf511dcd4.jpg

010313_4407_edited-1_zpsd47a66e7.jpg

010313_4416_edited-1_zpsbf03c0fc.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... 8 METERS over the dam wall?! That is a serious bit of water!! :eek2:

How'd the vacation with your son go?

I went for a 300k (roughly) ride this afternoon to the Biloela Area to the west of Gladstone.

Almost all Bitumen, however part of the trip is an old coal haul road which is a good ride (twisty).

The coal road takes you past and eventually to the Callide dam and power station. I didn't take many photos, but heres a few. It was overcast and I got wet on the way home.

130413_5030_edited-1_zps9267706f.jpg

Part of Anlgo American coal mine.
130413_5017_edited-1_zps070d1ba5.jpg

The Dam and Power Station
130413_5023_edited-1_zps4b6597c2.jpg

A field. They grow cotton here.
130413_5032_edited-1_zpsb3b44da9.jpg

A tree I liked :). And grey clouds that didn't like me. Five minutes after this photo I was cold and wet.
130413_5040_edited-1_zps22fb7e27.jpg

Gratuitious bike photo, because I can. I know I know, the header needs cleaning. I keep forgetting.
130413_5035_edited-1_zps7219883d.jpg

Bike looks purdy to me :shrug: :-P

What's the story on that sign in the back ground with the arrow and numbers on it? Terrorist threat level? Or some kind of environmental warning for coal dust?

Bike looks purdy to me :shrug: :-P

What's the story on that sign in the back ground with the arrow and numbers on it? Terrorist threat level? Or some kind of environmental warning for coal dust?

Water restriction level. 2 is pretty good. You can water your lawn with a hand held hose, no sprinkler, pretty much anything goes. When they get around level 4 it starts getting tougher. No lawn watering, wash cars with bucket only and a set amount per day per house. If you exceed the amount they put restricters on your incoming pipes and drop the rate buy 70 percent and other draconian measures.

OK, I'm going to post this ride in here even though its a Road trip. Next trip is dualsport though, for sure. If its an issue, let me know.

We decided to head for Yeppon, a coastal town to the North. 0800 was the time to meet at Calliope servo. When I left home the bike was indicating an outside temp of 1, yes, 1 goddammit degree :(. There are not many Queenslanders made for these temperatures, but I battled on :).

Upon arriving at the servo, myself and a couple of others waited for the rides organiser ( Noel) to turn up, as is the usual practice, :) It has been suggested that if Noel turns up on time, we should consider this a bad omen and immediately go home.

Anyway, by the time everyone was ready to go, it was a balmy 4 degrees and we gingerly set off on the Bruce highway. Gingerly, because it is school holidays here and during school holidays fines and demerit points are both doubled.

Also, I had some spots on my lens that I didn't notice.

20140630_080730_edited-1_zpsc4b49323.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Noel on the R90.

20140630_080747_edited-1_zps3d559315.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Waiting at the Calliope servo.

We took the tourist route to Yeppoon which takes you via Emu Park and Rosylyn Bay and has views of the ocean, so you can be staring at that instead of watching the road.

300614_7882_edited-1_zpsc70cdccb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

300614_7886_edited-1_zpsc13394e3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We stopped at Yeppoon for lunch.

20140630_122024_edited-1_zpsfc08631e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Lunch eye view.

20140630_115236_edited-1_zps087a07af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Esplanade carpark.

20140630_115426_edited-1_zpse04c4769.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Mark's Harley.

20140630_115422_edited-1_zps39ad1f10.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Noel, trying (we think) to hotwire the Harley :) .

300614_7887_edited-1_zpsd3844506.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Raglan Tavern on way home.

300614_7893_edited-1_zps829d674a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Noel's R90.

The R90 was purchased new by his dad in 1975 and last year his dad decided he was no longer able to safely ride anymore. So he passed it on to Noel who reconned it a bit and its still in the family. He has photos of the handover etc . Nice story I think.

Anyway, until next time.

Last edited:
Well, I'm back. Anyone miss me lol :).

I was taken out by a flying motorcycle at speed. The rider wasn't aiming for me specifically, he hit a Toyota Hilux head on and the Hilux won. This is when he left to stage left and his bike took on a mind of its own and flew back across the road at me. This happened on the 12th of October. I am going for a ride today(on my new bike) and will post some photos. I may post some wreck photos, but not sure :) . Hope you all had a great Christmas. :)

Well, I'm back. Anyone miss me lol :).

I was taken out by a flying motorcycle at speed. The rider wasn't aiming for me specifically, he hit a Toyota Hilux head on and the Hilux won. This is when he left to stage left and his bike took on a mind of its own and flew back across the road at me. This happened on the 12th of October. I am going for a ride today(on my new bike) and will post some photos. I may post some wreck photos, but not sure :) . Hope you all had a great Christmas. :)

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: We did miss you, glad your alright . I always enjoy your pics :clap:

Looking forward to more photos & stories. Tell us about the new bike. No need for wreck photos. Glad you're back.

Back