• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back getting dirty - An ongoing report from down under

saikhan

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Well, 10 days ago I bought 2 new DRZ400Es. One for my son and one for myself. For the last 20 months I have only had road bikes and couldn't take it any longer. :) I was always looking of into the bush wondering where this or that road went off to. Anyway , long story short we are having a ball. As you may know the E is DOT approved over here in Australia.

Re: Back getting dirty.:rider:

Same reason I just bought a dual sport. Great way for Father and son bonding time....

Riding pavement is fun, but seeing where that dirt road goes is the best!!! And even more special if you are doing it with your son. :thumb:

I grew up riding dirt, well the part about growing up might be a bit of a stretch. When I got back into riding, went street but wasn't happy until I got back into dirt. Now I enjoy both.

Congrats on the new rides and you new ridding buddy. :rider:

Oh, it is customary to post pics of fore mentioned machines here at TWTex. :deal:

Ok, Pics as promised. We went to Bulburin National Forest on Saturday.

These are just phone shots. I haven't had time to check the shots I took with the good camera.

Ready to go.
IMG_10321.jpg

Just off the trailer.
IMG_10331.jpg

About 10 ks in.
IMG_10361.jpg

Snack break.
IMG_10391.jpg

These are everywhere.
DSC_4030.jpg

At the creek.
IMG_10411.jpg

IMG_10421.jpg

IMG_10451.jpg

Part of the track.
DSC_4054.jpg

Last edited:

I would LOVE it if you kept this thread updated with pics from your explorations!! Just kind of a never ending ride report of sorts ;-)

I would LOVE it if you kept this thread updated with pics from your explorations!! Just kind of a never ending ride report of sorts ;-)

:popcorn:

Those are Es? too bad we could never buy new ones like those here.

+1 on Tourmeister's post. Our very own Australian tour guide. I like it. Vicariously riding Australia brought to us by saikhan.:clap:

Hello all. On Sunday I rode to Kroombit Tops National Park. A friend of mine has an XR250 ( dont know what year ' just old ) and has never ridden in the dirt, ever. So I had to think up an easy ride (mainly forestry roads and very little technical ). In the park there are a lot of tracks to choose from (some very hard) but the main route is easy.

We didn't leave until 1300 so we decided to only go as far as the forestry barracks.

The trip from Gladstone starts with about 30ks of bitumen, taking you through the township of Calliope, we then turned right on the road to Monto. About 1k down that road you turn left and it's 68 ks to the lookout in the park.

A popular destination in the park is the crash site ( and war grave ) of The Beautiful Betsy, a B24D Liberator bomber that crashed into the mountainside on the 26 February 1945. I am going to the bomber site in the next couple of weeks and I will get photo's if anyones interested.

It is amazing what has survived all this time. They must have made chrome a lot better in those days as there is a lot of it on that bomber that looks brand new. The USAF symbol is still plainly visible on one of the wings. Any way thats next time.

Waiting at the servo for Maurice, only 30 mins late.:giveup:
IMG_1052.jpg

2nd Photo- Nearly at the top.
IMG_1058.jpg

3rd - Forestry Barracks.
IMG_1059.jpg

4th - Forestry Barracks again.
IMG_1060.jpg

House built around 1870, when there was a small township here.
DSC_4004.jpg

Another old house on the side of the road.
DSC_3992.jpg

DSC_3996.jpg

DSC_3995.jpg

This bike is growing on me, more and more.:rider:
DSC_4012.jpg

I didn't have time to take many photos this time, this is just a teaser. I will go up again soon.

Last edited:

I think I will try photo bucket. 640 X 480 sucks.:argh:

Oh,, these are all just with my phone. Good Camera next time.

The latter (newly added) photos are with my better camera however.

Last edited:

I think I will try photo bucket. 640 X 480 sucks.:argh:

Oh,, these are all just with my phone. Good Camera next time.

:tab The 640 X 480 limitations is for attached images only. I know it is limiting for doing reports, but our server hard drives would soon be swamped with big images getting uploaded by everyone.

:tab Please do continue with the reports! Looking at the Google maps for that area it looks like there is almost no end to the exploring you can do on a good DS bike!

Updated the Kroombit Tops pics and deleted the attachments and added p/bucket links instead.

Thanks! :clap:

I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to see the pics of the bomber remnants.

I look forward to seeing the next ride pictures (hopefully with some bomber pics mixed in!!). Thanks for posting these, I have never been to Australia, so its great to see the pics and get a little idea what it is like out there.

Gary

This is a good thread. I like the pics also. I need to convert the K`s to miles because I have no idea how far you are talking about :doh::rider:

I went for a short trip by myself the other day , just to do a recce to find a road that goes through the Eurimbula national park from Turkey Beach to Agnes Waters. About 40ks south of Gladstone is the turnoff to Turkey beach (all bitumen).

Road to Turkey.
DSC_2619.jpg

DSC_2617_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2611_edited-1.jpg

Turkey Beach.
DSC_2571_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2569_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2577.jpg

Grassy area near beach.
DSC_2595_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2593.jpg

Anyway, I found the road I needed to find. I had no intention of riding it today, just finding it, that's for next time. I decided to head down a road called Foreshores Rd.

Foreshores Road
IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1067-1.jpg

IMG_1075-1.jpg

Further down from that shot with the open gate.
IMG_1093.jpg

Not fair. It looks like you could get across at low tide though. It is called Hummock Hill Island.
IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

The general area.
IMG_1069-2.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1077-1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful country you're riding through. I would also love to see more.

Friday morning we are going to the bomber site. I am taking the nikon and I have mounted the video camera that was on the Bandit onto the DRZ, so should be fun.

Back