• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back getting dirty - An ongoing report from down under

Friday morning we are going to the bomber site. I am taking the nikon and I have mounted the video camera that was on the Bandit onto the DRZ, so should be fun.

Can't wait to see the pics and video's.. I always thought Australia would be an amazing place to visit and your posts just confirm this.. One day I will get to see Australia in person, until then I will have to see it through your posts..

Gary

Moving this to the After the Ride section since it has become more of an ongoing ride report (at least I hope it is ongoing :trust:)

On my (ever-expanding) wishlist! Thanks for sharing the rides!

Thanks for sharing this. Love seeing pics of far away places that I'll most likely never have the chance to ride.

Thanks!!!

So.... Friday morning we loaded the bikes on the trailer and headed off to the start of the Kroombit road. A friend of mine has a property 14 ks down the road, so we decided to park there. Got all our gear on and headed off down the dirt road.

Only to find this about 30 ks in.

DSC_4057.jpg

DSC_4055.jpg

So that ended that little adventure. No bomber today.

The 2 bikes deciding if it would be wrong to use the key that was so "cleverly" hidden under a rock next to the gate.
DSC_4059_edited-1.jpg

Up in the hills on the way back.
DSC_4094_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4067_edited-1.jpg

Lucas going faster than his Mother would like. So if we keep it between ourselves, then it's ok.
DSC_4063_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday morning I woke up and decided I was going to the bomber. Lucas was unable to go due to prior plans. This time I rode straight from home and Saturday being the 26th and the park closed sign "saying" it was only closed until the 25th. So I took them at their word and headed off.

I had the video camera off the Bandit mounted to the Drz and because of this, on the way I didn't take any photos of the road to the bomber as I was getting excellent video. Well this wasn't the case as it turned out. Mounting the camera on road bike on relatively smooth roads is one thing, on the Drz is another, way too shaky. 2 hours of video wasted. Oh well, will mount it to my helmet next time I think.

Anyway here are some pics.

DSC_4103_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4104.jpg

Tail section.
DSC_4108_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4117_edited-1.jpg

View through the tail gunner's target reticle hole into the body.
DSC_4118_edited-1.jpg

Tail again.
DSC_4119_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4120_edited-1.jpg

The tail gunners section. Seat was stolen by some thieving *******, as was a lot of stuff. There is now a 380,000 fine for removal of parts, however there is no way of enforcing it, so stuff slowly goes missing over time.
DSC_4121_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4122_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4123_edited-1.jpg

Wing.
DSC_4113_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4114_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4112_edited-1.jpg

Unknown (to me) part. The stainless cog is still, well, stainless and the chain isn't locked up with rust.
DSC_4116.jpg

Part of undercarriage.
DSC_4128_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4135_edited-1.jpg

Engines. Phone for scale.
DSC_4140_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4139_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4141_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4133_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4142_edited-1.jpg

Airscrew.
DSC_4106_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4107_edited-1.jpg

Signs.

DSC_4130_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4129_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4137.jpg

DSC_4131.jpg

DSC_4105.jpg

Well, that is the lot for this run. On the way there I hit a log with my right leg and it was a bit hard to put weight on it. The walk to the bomber was enough for me, I didn't want to brave walking down the cliffside to get pics of the main fuselage, and I was by myself. So better safe than sorry.

Anyway, until the next mini adventure. I might try to salvage a little bit of video, but it's very shaky, we'll see.

Last edited:
That's amazing. And kind of heartbreaking all at the same time. Thank you for the photos.

I hope your leg feels better soon!

Its a cool story on the find and an interesting piece of History and I like the fact that the plane remained as crashed not carried off to a museum somewhere.One of our guys on the ZRX board sent almost the exact same pictures a couple of years ago when he visited the site he live somewhere in Australia

Thanks.
Riding vicariously through your post. Oh I swear I am reading with an Aussie accent, :rofl:just sitting here reading along when it struck me. Is that an Aussie accent I heard in my head. yep, it sure was.

That's amazing. And kind of heartbreaking all at the same time. Thank you for the photos.

I hope your leg feels better soon!

Thnx . My own fault though, when I left I said to myself now take it easy your by yourself. Then first chance I got, I went ballistic and hit a section of deep bulldust. Something was under the bulldust and it sent me off line. So to quote one of your fictional countrymen. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

Hey Guys. Just a quick hello and Merry Christmas. Been quiet on here as I have been laying on my back (injured for over 3 weeks). Still can't ride, can't even get on the bike, lol, ( though I have tried ). Anyway have a good one.

Ps Not a bike related injury.

Bummer. I hope you heal quickly so you can get back to riding :thumb:

Hope you had a good Christmas weekend as well, and a have a good New Years!

Haven't heard from you in a while. Has the injury gotten any better?

Haven't heard from you in a while. Has the injury gotten any better?

Yes. Much better now, thanks for asking. I actually went for a ride through part of Eurimbula National forest on Tuesday. Excellent day about 80% sand roads ( few hairy moments but no falls). I didn't take many pics but will post the one's I have soon.

I actually attempted to ride through there a week earlier and at the first water crossing my bike died. With all the research of mods etc for the DRZ I never once picked up on the need to reroute the carby hoses.:giveup: Any way I fixed all that and now it's almost amphibious.:rider:

I'll post some pics later. Have a good one.

Cool! Glad to hear you are doing better!

The carb vent thing is a common mod on DS bikes. It makes the water crossing easier ;-)

Deleted due to photobucket having a complete meltdown. Will try again another time. All the pics were corrupted or something. Took ages, sigh.

Last edited:
The pics came through in my email notice for this thread . :clap::clap::clap: Nice

Back