• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back getting dirty - An ongoing report from down under

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I attempted to go to the southern end of Eurimbula state forest last week. A water crossing foiled that plan. Anyway, on Tuesday two of us headed off to give it another shot. Shaun on his orange bike and myself on the DRZ. Both bikes now with rerouted breather tubes. We rode 110ks of bitumen, then turned left onto Eurimbula road. (all dirt/sand)
Map
http://www.whereis.com/?id=30C527B8FE7967

The water crossing that got me the first time.
DSC_5108_0916.jpg

The track in.
DSC_5088_0896.jpg

DSC_5085_0893.jpg

DSC_5087_0895.jpg

DSC_5086_0894.jpg

DSC_5090_0898.jpg

The sides of the road on the way in are infested with these strange plants.

[ame="http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/saikhanus/Eurimbula/?action=view&current=IMG_1145.mp4"]Eurimbula :: IMG_1145.mp4 video by saikhanus - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1127.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl626%2Fsaikhanus%2FEurimbula%2FIMG_1145.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1127.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl626%2Fsaikhanus%2FEurimbula%2FIMG_1145.mp4[/ame]

A rest stop. You may notice the DRZ wanting to have a little lay down as well. I just got it in time.
DSC_5095_0903.jpg

DSC_5093_0901.jpg

Walk down this path.
DSC_5096_0904.jpg

To find this.
DSC_5097_0905_edited-1.jpg

One of the beaches at the campgrounds.
DSC_5100_0908_edited-1.jpg

DSC_5099_0907_edited-1.jpg

DSC_5098_0906_edited-1.jpg

We had a good look around the area and then did the 110ks back, stopping at the Bororen Pub for something cold. Very hot day.

Then the orange bike broke.
DSC_5137_0945.jpg

DSC_5140_0948.jpg

DSC_5136_0944.jpg

The wheel bearing died and the ball bearings made a break for freedom through the hub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool report! That rear wheel damage is nasty!! :brainsnap

When you include the images, bracket them with the IMG tag. This will make them display in the body of the post.

(img)link to image(/img)

Just change the ( ) to [ ] to make it work. Had to use the ( ) so the forum software would not try to process the tag command.

Cool report! That rear wheel damage is nasty!! :brainsnap

When you include the images, bracket them with the IMG tag. This will make them display in the body of the post.

(img)link to image(/img)

Just change the ( ) to [ ] to make it work. Had to use the ( ) so the forum software would not try to process the tag command.

Cool, I'll do that in future. I did wonder why they stayed just links. Hope I didn't cause too much of a problem.:doh:

Cool, I'll do that in future. I did wonder why they stayed just links. Hope I didn't cause too much of a problem.:doh:

Nope. I just edited your post, cut/pasted the text into wordpad, did a search/replace all, cut/paste it right back into your post and saved it ;-)

What a great trip! And yikes on the hub damage - :eek2:

Those beach photos are amazing. Glad you're back out and about!

Went for a run two weekends ago to Eurimbula and a whole heap of places. Will fill in the blanks soon.

Started at the usual fuel station at Calliope. Don't drink the water. :)

IMG_1188.jpg

Then headed west until we found Galloway plains.

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

We then followed tablelands road all the way to Builyan, where we turned of onto Blackman's Gap road.

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

It's 90% dirt with some twisty bitumen parts.

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

We then headed for Eurimbula. Only to find the bridge had had a lot of water over it.

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

I'll try and add some more later.

Last edited:
Uhhh... the approach to that bridge looks pretty "abrupt" :eek2:

The rolling low mountains remind me of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas here in the U.S. LOTS of fantastic riding there!

Thanks for the update/pics! Keep them coming :thumb:

Abrupt fits the approach perfectly. Last time it flooded, the old bridge got washed away completely so this shouldn't take them long to repair.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Easter school holidays start here today so when I finish work Monday morning Lucas (son) and I, plan to ride ourselves ragged. We have some good stuff planned. Can't wait actually. :)

Hey all. Just taking the opportunity to wish all of you a happy easter. I hope you and yours have a great and safe weekend. I look forward to all the ride reports that will be generated. :)

Hey all. Just taking the opportunity to wish all of you a happy easter. I hope you and yours have a great and safe weekend. I look forward to all the ride reports that will be generated. :)

Have a Happy Easter as well!

Thanks for sending us the great photos of your travels.

Morning all (well it is here anyway atm :) )

I went for a short run not far from home the other day. An area near the Rundle Range. The road takes you through a town, or what used to be a small township until the oil shale project near it had some chemical release issues and everyone either just left or were bought out by the government. About the only thing left there now is the Rural Fire Brigade shed and house slabs.

DSC_5460_1197.jpg

After the ex town there is mostly rolling hills.

DSC_5463_1200.jpg

DSC_5465_1202.jpg

DSC_5467_1204.jpg

This hill is known as white rock, imaginatively named because of all the white rocks on it. :)

DSC_5471_1208.jpg

DSC_5472_1209.jpg

DSC_5486_1223.jpg

DSC_5487_1224.jpg

DSC_5488_1225.jpg

DSC_5489_1226.jpg

Until next time.

DSC_5491_1228.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful country!

We call them cattle guards. They can wreak havoc on a bike, especially if wet. I don't know why, but they are often placed at the apex of corners :doh:

The other thing we have is bump gates. These are heavy metal gates that swing shut after they are pushed or "bumped" open. Operating them on a bike is tricky and can result in getting swatted off the bike if you are not careful. You have to pull up to them, make contact with the front wheel, roll on the power and steer into them until you get them moving and then steer away before they reach the far point of their swing. Some folks like to try to sneak through on the push from the rider in front of them. The first one might get through, but the second sneaker is like to get swatted! I've seen it happen several times :lol2:

Not a ride update, however not really sure where to post. I am very seriously considering getting a 2012 650 VSTROM. The 2 drz plan was a good one, however my son's schedule is very busy and he really has little time to ride. So I'm thinking out loud here, I plan to trade one DRZ in on a Vstrom. Sort of cover more bases.

Can take a pillion and handle longer bitumen runs more easily or at least more comfortably. I have read a lot of reviews etc, and they seem to be pretty good. I have ridden a 2009 but not a new model.

Thoughts welcome.

Back