• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back in Houston

mlinkibikr

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Little
Hello All.

I'm back to Texas, having been in California for several years. The roads out there were great, but overall am happy to be back.

I'm reformatting my garage to take adjust to the realities of life with two baseball playing sons and the different geography. So far the little 250 Ninjette is sold, the Superhawk as well. I have my FJ1200 up for sale which would leave me with my 84 Moto Guzzi LeMans III.

I'm shopping hard for a good long distance sporty replacement and the FJR1300 meets the specs - on paper anyway. I hate it that I can't ride one. I tested the K1200 RS and love that bike. It may not be the quickest hoss in the stable but I think it would serve my needs. But the price ...whew - that's a lot of commitment.

Am looking forward to surfing this site as there are a lot of good roads out there that I still need to find.

Dave.

Howdy Dave,

:tab Glad you finally got in here ;-) Don't count out the VFR for a sporty tourer. I've put nearly 48K miles on my 98 (bought new on Jan 2000) and just over 30K on my 2001 VFR. They are quite comfortable. They handle very well even in stock trim. I just did a whole weekend two up with a full set of GIVI luggage and we were having a great time :twisted: Sure the bike could have more torque and HP, what bike wouldn't benefit from more? But it does just fine, gets great gas mileage, it darn near bullet proof and maintenance free except for oil changes, air filters, etc,...

:tab Of course, the FJR is a sweet ride if you can find one ;-)

Overdue update ...

Last July sold the FJ1200 to a fine gentleman in Northwest Houston and bought a 98 VFR the very next day from another good soul in The Woodlands.

Love the VFR. Spooned on fresh rubber, changed the fluids, and we're good to go. The Superhawk was awesome in many ways, but the VFR has most of the character with a lot fewer flaws. The previous owner put an M4 pipe on it and everytime I roll on the throttle with malice and forethought I have to laugh out loud ... it's riding season in Texas y'all.

Dave.

Congrats on the new bike! So now we will see more of you? We are a bit overdue for another Maintenance day... ;-)

Naaah - let's not work on 'em - let's ride 'em !

I'll look for you in the usual places - 149 ... King's ... I'll be the guy with the bugs splattered all over my visor and a grin on my face.

mlinkibikr said:
I'm shopping hard for a good long distance sporty replacement and the FJR1300 meets the specs - on paper anyway. I hate it that I can't ride one. I tested the K1200 RS and love that bike. It may not be the quickest hoss in the stable but I think it would serve my needs. But the price ...whew - that's a lot of commitment.

Am looking forward to surfing this site as there are a lot of good roads out there that I still need to find.

Dave.

Since you have a Guzzi in your garage I can tell you have an apreciation for the Italian girls. :chug:
Have you thought about a Futura? Almost as comfy as an FJR but handles better and the power to weight is similar.
Of course, I am a bit biased. :mrgreen:

So, no longer new. but I did want to introduce my newest bike. It's a 2018 BMW R1200GS that I picked up in November 2018. I really like this bike and will enjoy slowly choosing the right farkles for it. So far I've only added an SW Motech Quick Lock EVO City Tank Bag. I am researching engine guards and panniers. Never thought I would enjoy the quick shifter as much as I have!

I'm keeping my K1200RS for now (great buddy bike) and I have the 696 "Baby Due" Monster for more fun and games.
IMG_5874.JPG

Welcome back!!

Congrats on the sweet new ride! :drool:

Welcome back!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back