• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back Roads in Oregon

Reaction score
Tomorrow we embark on a 3.5-week trip to Oregon. Fourteen of those days will be riding and exploring the back country in Central OR, riding, living and camping on two little bikes. For a brief time, I'm dropping out of this rat race and dropping back into the life I knew (and miss). I'm going 'Home'. :sun:

I'll update the website when I have wifi access, which I know I won't for 14 days. But I should be able to find it while in the Willamette Valley for an update or two. Perhaps a time or two on the return trip.

No Spot, no cell phones (no signal), no radios, no TV, no sirens, no horns, no Internet, no iPhones!. Only the back country and knobby tires.

Y'all enjoy the heat. :mrgreen:

Back Roads in Oregon

979592747_ozhz8-L.jpg

Is that Steens Mountain?
I spent eight years in the Willamette Valley and many weekends camping in the Cascades as well as in Central Oregon.
Wonderful place to live, still a great place to visit.

Is that Steens Mountain?
I spent eight years in the Willamette Valley and many weekends camping in the Cascades as well as in Central Oregon.
Wonderful place to live, still a great place to visit.
Yes, it is the Steens.
I spent 12 years in Corvallis area, with camping/hiking/swimming/etc mostly in the Cascades and Coast, only a bit in Central OR. Not enough, so I'm going back for more. :mrgreen:

LUCKY. Lived in Redmond and worked in Bend for 3 years, loved it.

Highways in the West

Haven't had Internet access. Borrowing a laptop to upload some photos and check in.

Saw many of these (I love trains ;-) )
989504021_k3QCo-M.jpg

989505592_vSZue-M.jpg

Stopped in Utah to visit with friend Lyle.
989506136_U79eC-M.jpg

I love the West! More moving pictures.

989505780_aPu2q-M.jpg

989506260_TqKJz-M.jpg

989506402_zJLbo-M.jpg

989506543_uva7E-M.jpg

989506676_wGvHj-M.jpg

We're going to the coast for the day.

You're killing me.
I highly recommend an ovenight at Neskowin.

13 Days on the Roads and Don't Want to Go Home Tonight

We slid back into a reality that is in between what we left three weeks ago, and what we spent two weeks riding through on our little ponies. Arrived in Prineville earlier today.......... I've lost track of time and days Sun was about mid-point in the sky.

It took us 4.5 hours to ride 93 miles. Why? Because we rode up to 6K feet and down, through forests of trees with thick bark scales of which all the snakes would be jealous, sat on the bikes with engines off watching antelopes play, argued with a big black bull (brangusbuffalelk -cross between an Angus/buffalo/elk ), gazed longingly at the prairies on the summit, zigzagged playfully on the moist dust-free gravel and, well, wished we didn't have to go any further.

I have to say, however, that tonight's dinner in Prineville was scrumptious.

Met many people on the road and in campsites, many we hope to see again. Special thanks to Greg from High Desert Adventures for route suggestions and helping us safely harbor the truck and poop-up (not a typo) camper for the time we were gone.

I have over 4GB of photos and almost 12GB of video to download, sort and upload before I start a travelogue. So it will be awhile before anything appears online. Tomorrow we begin the journey back to TX, starting with the Painted Hills near Mitchell.

AND...... we'll be back next year. The kids postponed the wedding due to unforeseen circumstances. And if they wait until after Sept. 1 next year, we won't have a deadline to return to TX! (retirement!!!)

Re: 13 Days on the Roads and Don't Want to Go Home Tonight

Is that like a jackalope but bigger? ;-)
Sorta. We met a LOT of cows on the back roads. The last one, on the last day in the Ochoco Nat. Forest, was a hyoooooge black bull that was not in the mind to move. Ed has a funny story about that one. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the video cam out of my tank bag fast enough to capture the entire episode.

I do, however, have a vid of a sheep drive down a back road in the mountains north of Burns. That was way cool.

Post-journey

Stepping from the TARDIS vehicle and back into present civilization was culture shock after being in the back country for nearly three weeks. Texas greeted me with sneezing and stuffed sinuses, humid heat, no water and food at home, and a mountain of stuff to go through. I let it sit for awhile, grinning at the irony of camping out in my own house after 3+ weeks of it elsewhere.

After having water restored to the house, picking up some groceries ("Where's the dehydrated items?"), an hour-late train, and an entertaining dentist appointment, all 7+ GB of photos are downloaded. Along with Goddess-knows-how-many GB of video clips.

All the papers, maps, brochures are sorted by state ready for archiving for later reference and use. And they will be used. Haven't answered emails yet. Having posted anything anywhere. I'm still between here and there. More there than here.

The good stuff is the Pull-the-Plug Countdown: 49 weeks 'till retirement (semi-R).

Going through and sorting the too-many photos will take days (if not weeks). Videos, too. But I have one (okay, a few) to share right off the bat. A video uploading for later, too.

I need a sabbatical ;)

1020244770_wA7rL-M.jpg

1020244732_6tnRL-M.jpg

1020244664_bbkAj-L.jpg

TexasShadow -

I had to look back at how I'd done it in the past, but try this. It's convoluted but it works. Click on the "embed" button in the video and "cut" the text shown. Then paste it into your thread between these tags {flash} and {/flash} and remove all but the "http://vimeo.com/ part....

For example
{flash}http://vimeo.com/............{/flash}

You need to change these {} brackets with []!! I can't put the correct brackets in the explanation or it tries to embed video.

Let me try it quickly and make sure I remember where to end the cutting.

Time passes.....
Hmmm I can't seem to get yours to work.... I wonder if it's because I'm not the owner of the video?

When I post a video that I own, the text looks like this (with the correct brackets installed)
{flash}http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12447158&amp{/flash}

Tick tock...
Ok the darned thing works. What I had to do was click on the "use old embed code" or something like that on the top of the window that opens when you try to "embed" the link. At that point I was able to cut and past the following text...

{flash}http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15259847&amp{/flash} with the brackets replaced of course.

So apparently Vimeo has changed their embed text to support Ipads and such.... but I'm not sure how to get the new embed code to work or even if it will work. Once I went back to the old code I was able to get it to work.

Last edited:
Woohoo!
Give me five........ :clap:

Thanks, dude. Now let's see if this will play.

It's playin. I'll remove the one I put in there...

Cool video BTW, I like the sound track :) We used to play paintball out towards Burns...

Last edited:
Ok the darned thing works. What I had to do was click on the "use old embed code" or something like that on the top of the window that opens when you try to "embed" the link. At that point I was able to cut and past the following text...

{flash}http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15259847&amp{/flash} with the brackets replaced of course.

So apparently Vimeo has changed their embed text to support Ipads and such.... but I'm not sure how to get the new embed code to work or even if it will work. Once I went back to the old code I was able to get it to work.
I tried several times using the new embed code following your suggestions. Then tried the old code (which worked on my blogsite) and tinkered with exactly what text to remove for this forum. I succeeded right after you embedded the vid. But I never would have been successful without your suggestions. Thanks!

I did several day narrations with Ed manning the Kodak Xi8 vid camera, including an interview with Wiley on our last day in Oregon and a narration in the snow on Steens Mnt. I've discovered how fun having this pocket video recorder can be. :trust:

Cool video BTW, I like the sound track :) We used to play paintball out towards Burns...
We will probably be spending many summers in Central/Eastern Oregon after I retire next year. I had three job opportunities (seasonal) (Diamond/Malheur NWR, JD Fossil Beds NM and Dead Horse Point State Park in Utah), so seasonal work will be relatively easy to come by.

Riders are welcome to come visit. The riding there.......no words can describe the numerous roads/trails, the vast land they cover, and the magnificent geography/geology/terrain they traverse. And Oregonians are the friendliest people I've met in this country.

Fort Rock Basin in Oregon

We spent many days in Lake County. One of the most memorable is the Fort Rock area. Hard to believe that this basin was once the bottom of an ocean, and later, a huge land-bound lake. Now it is the Oregon High Desert with many geological features that demand time spent exploring.

Ironically, the video embedded below was aired on Oregon Public Broadcasting station only a few days before we rode onto the basin. We heard mention of Reub Long several times by the locals, with much respect and endearment. The largest geological wonder there -Fort Rock- is a tribute to the land and a man that loved it.

The setting sun reflected on the east side of the walls of Fort Rock from above our campsite. And a view of the same east wall photographed from inside during our hike the next morning.

1031262889_6HC7a-L.jpg

1031249099_K8pPw-L.jpg

Edit: Well, feeble attempt again to embed the video failed...again. So here's the Link instead. :roll:

Oregon or Bust!

The goal was to arrive in Albany, OR, by Friday afternoon (August 27th) after leaving the Dallas/Fort Worth area after a day of work. It should have been pretty straight forward, but we had a few (mis)adventures along the way. In fact, it could have been a bust. But we made it after all. And we now know what areas to avoid the next time we go.

Ed has already led into this story in another thread, but I have a few different approaches and photos. So two perspectives can be viewed on this trip. Regardless, a condensed version posted here, and mostly excerpted from the website. Video clips will be uploaded there as well. Later, when I have more time to put them together. Vids will include several daily narratives while on the bikes, too.

Okay, on with the trip........

989503925_4rAqE-M.jpg

Moving Pictures-Cornfields

We left my place after I got home from work that Tuesday evening. I finished putting stuff together, loading it into the truck and we were finally off. After months of preparing and anticipation, we were finally on the road.

Where are thou camping spot?

As we ascended the Llano Estacado, towns assumed that level prairie look: flat horizons, barbed-wire fencing along the highways, fields of grains, bovines dotting green pastures. And trains. Most of the highways in Texas (and elsewhere, as I learned along this trip) run along the rail lines. Granaries and silos tower over small towns revealing their economic base. Some were disused, others still in service. I especially liked the image in Dalhart of the silo behind the colorful local motel and sporting the signage: "Dalhart Consumers". As if it was a draw to the town, or simply a generic description of every community and the basis of our nation in modern America: consumerism.

989504144_waBgR-M.jpg

1034406923_wxLF2-M.jpg

Dusk was quickly descending as we approached a town where we might camp overnight. At least, from what I read on the Internet. A member of a forum on free camping locations posted a city park in the Texas town of Dumas (gleefully pronounced by some as 'Dumb-***'). No address was provided, only the description of next to the railroad tracks west of town. We drove around searching for such a park and found only ball fields next to a school and a large parking lot. Next to the cemetery.

Tired and hungry, we drove to a nearby gas station to ask and met with blank unfriendly stares. No help there. So back to the parking lot next to the ball fields. After backing in next to a temporary mobile structure, we quickly and quietly expanded the pop-up camper and crawled under the sheets. After being in 106 degree heat near the DFW area, the cool night there made us shiver and we added a blanket and quilt to the bed. Sleep was broken into wakenings by every single train that rolled through town blaring horns, and there were many trains.

I woke before dawn to the sound of tires pulling in next to us. They departed as slowly as they pulled up. 'Let's get out of here,' was the only thought in my mind. Dressing quickly in the dewy morning chill, we packed up the camper as more vehicles and then school buses pulled into the parking lot. I was glad to be out of there, and away from the town. I crossed that town off my list of 'Future Night Spots'.

I rejoiced when we crossed the state line into New Mexico.

Back